• Welcome Guest! If you are already a member of the BMW MOA, please log in to the forum in the upper right hand corner of this page. Check "Remember Me?" if you wish to stay logged in.

We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMWMOA forum provides. Why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the club magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMWMOA offers?

Want to read the MOA monthly magazine for free? Take a 3-month test ride of the magazine; check here for details.

• NOTE. Some content will be hidden from you. If you want to view all content, you must register for the forum if you are not a member, or if a member, you must be logged in.

"The Oasis of my Soul"... a Lifelong Journey...

The Oasis of my Soul...

388754857_7QSgh-L.jpg

Are the Stars ÔÇ£misalignedÔÇØ?, Texas

I have to this morning take a step back and move slowly on the path of fixing things, or more truthfully think about on how to go about it all! Suddenly it is a full plate
After numerous attempts my new wheel is still leaking air. I wonÔÇÖt even go into the details, it could be the subject for a humorous play with too many scenes. ÔÇ£Old FaithfulÔÇØ herself is diagnosed with a bad right throttle body and a slipping clutch. I am not even thinking about her annual physical such as what everyone calls a ÔÇ£tune upÔÇØ, an involved process that requires the sidecar to be taken apart. Without a phone here, e mail is my only resource and, not surprisingly, the BMW Dealers I inquired about are not returning any breath of my inquiries. I guess they do not want to sell any parts!!!
A few miles away my cell phone will work but its battery for the second time is not charging! I often wonder if mechanical objects have a Life of their own. Must be
More on the BlogBe well, Ara & Spirit

The Oasis of my Soul... Life Under the Stars...

390138478_jScwS-L.jpg

Karma looks upon us, Texas

What would be the chances for an incredible mechanic such as “Paul Glaves” to be our neighbor 4 miles away and offer his expertise to install a new clutch, throttle body, throttle cable and a complete maintenance schedule as “Old Faithful” is in need right now? Slim?… well, it is reality! The parts have been ordered, next week we will be not only watching but as he expressed himself learn more about this bike than I ever have.
There is no denying it, once again the road has become smooth as also there is not harm for us riding around in the meantime.
A ride to Terlingua, the Ghost Town, seeing the familiar sites and faces as not much has changed since last year.
The weather has been perfect with tolerable heat throughout the days and cool nights. This at time “puzzle” is emerging as an image with much more definite outlines.
A recipe for a quick meal, a tasty one…
As always, more on the Blog.

Be well… Ara & Spirit

The Oasis of my Soul...

392091068_JFEpJ-L.jpg

Unprepared for the storm, Texas

The future? I will be prepared! Good weather day in and day out makes me forget the other side of the coin sometimes. It only took that one burst of wind to knock the Dish down. Already with no phone service here yet, we both went on to Alpine to find a solution. And what luck a slightly bent Dish was waiting for us all is well again!
Much play with Spirit every day on this vast open land, one happy dog he now is and has become my shadow 24/7, his sight never leaving my movements.
Thinking about next week, about Old Faithful being dismantled as it is always a mental hardship, but for the first time I am truly so relaxed about it, how can I not be when it is Paul Glaves running the show. The parts are here we are ready.
We took a ride into Big Bend Park, always feeling this peaceful aura descending upon us, an easy pill to swallow. More great Sunrises and Sunsets I try real hard to not take anymore pictures of them but that is not happening!
More on the Blog Be well always. Ara & Spirit

The Oasis of my Soul...

393841376_Hyix3-L.jpg

On our way to Ft Stockton! Texas

In company of a good Friend yesterday, Lance’s Birthday passed on with more ease this year as I only hope that I some day return the incredible support that I received on this bitter sweet day. I feel so much to want to reach others wearing the same shoes, “I owe” I feel… “what can I now do” I feel…
Plagued by mechanical let downs it is now the turn for the solar power to malfunction! No “DC” power when inverter or generator off! Luckily another Friend will meet us today in Ft Stockton to figure out what is wrong. What happened to the simplicity of living in a tent? This is so complicated and so much can go wrong…
Tomorrow “Old Faithful” will come apart, she will be in good hands hoping for no bad surprises… thinking positive here.
Just another day on the road as the full moon is upon us… on the Blog.
Be well…. Ara & Spirit

Last edited:
The Oasis of my Soul...

395945462_VBGHs-L.jpg

As simple as a tire change! Texas

It has been some smooth days even if the photos look daunting! It was first meeting Ryan who attacked my solar system and rewired it from scratch. Ill skip the details the bottom line? It had been wired very very wrong and unhealthy! It was a relaxed day with so much confidence inspired. Same confidence going on this third day with Paul Glaves. What an inspiration it is to be taught and witness a bike being torn down and put back together in about the same way I would make a cup of coffee! And done right with so many attention to details no joke It is beyond mechanical ability, it is a Zen like process that leaves one actually enjoying the day and learn so much. I might even ask him when we are done if we could tear it up again!
The Desert is our Friend. Always has been but more so now than before, it is never just the land, it is also the People even as isolated as it is here.
More photos on the Blog.
Be well, Ara & Spirit

The Oasis of my Soul...

398269339_FnWzA-M-1.jpg

Rolling again in Texas

WOW has always been a nice word for me expressing the inexpressible! Hollow, brainless expression, yes, but yet it defines for me anything I cannot quite define or would have to use too many words to do so WOW is all I could loudly say when riding again, when rolling again down the road with a huge grin on our faces. A true Master and a Teacher as I have never had before, Paul Glaves has opened up a new avenue of thoughts regarding my own mechanical abilities. For someone like me that has spend their Life in a kitchen I guess it is never too late to plunge into the Zen and the Art of Motorcycle maintenance! Never give up, one step at the time and above it all, stay calm as, and I quote him it is just a bunch of nuts and bolts! Terlingua had their own Friends of Big Bend ride going on much fun to check out the bikes customized to their owners train of thought. A Tilapia quick recipe it makes up the Blog today or was it yesterday?
Be well Ara & Spirit

The Oasis of my Soul...

Thanks for the kind words, Ara. You are a good learner!

Thanks Paul... can't wait for the next one!

400324849_L3LTf-L-1.jpg

A ride to Presidio, Texas

Always a fun road to ride, to photograph, to stop and meditate, think about the reality of it all on how all this came about.
The road itself has been closed since the floods, all cleaned up now and open to local traffic when nearing Presidio only because of some cracks on the south side. It was a quick ride, a bit shorter in time for us from the norm as I know we will ride it again and probably again! Our phone is in! DSL is in at lightning speeds, all being an incredible task from the Big Bend Telephone Company. They showed up a couple mornings ago with semis and tractors, trench digger and a full crew to extend the line .3 miles! All in one day of work. They have a no non-sense operation and were back this morning for the final hook up and activation.
Spirit again is ecstatic to be riding in his car and between the all day ride and fetching the ball he is passed out The Do not disturb sign is up Maybe food will change his mind! The Sunrise and the Sunset yesterday where both an incredible gift from Mother Nature you can see them on the Blog.
Be well Ara & Spirit

The Oasis of my Soul...

402182417_4QndB-L.jpg

More riding, some Friends and more cooking, Texas

Since ÔÇ£Old FaithfulÔÇØ ( might have to call her ÔÇ£Young FaithfulÔÇØ now!) has been revamped, we have been as they say ÔÇ£burning upÔÇØ the roads, mainly to Alpine. Many ÔÇ£Motorcyclist Caf?®ÔÇØ Forum riders have been in town for the weekend, ÔÇ£ApriliaÔÇØ motorcycle demos, a great dinner and much chatting. Putting some faces on all those names, those handles everyone uses, has been quite a great experience. Big Bend after all ÔÇ£isÔÇØ a destination as it feels being at the end of the World, and it is.
It was winter for a couple of days, the electric heated gear was out, today again the warmth has come back, one could not ask for a more perfect day on ÔÇ£The OasisÔÇØ.
Cooking some left over ingredients, pictures of how Big Bend has come about, it is all on the Blog.

Be well

Ara & Spirit

The Oasis of my Soul...

Is that a RuffWear bowl for Spirit? You should send that shot to RuffWear. I love their stuff!

Yes it is. It also can be a hat for him!!! Picture will come up soon... They are not interested!!! I even asked them for "sponsorship" as Spirit needs a new coat... The same with "Doggles"... never replies... It is the way of the World I guess!

404036254_yEc3q-L-1.jpg

The dirt road to Marathon, Texas

One does not realize how vast this area is till they traverse a region less traveled as it was riding the Old Marathon Rd, only 23 miles of unpaved road with long stretches of deep sand and rocky slanted sections and challenging. It is an area where one does not even see the glimpse of a roof at any distance, close or far as within other areas around here. It is again a road which makes one wonder how it all came about. This one connects east and west dropping into the Park in its end. We never took a stroll down Marathons main street as instead we stumbled onto a group building papercrete homes. A real interesting concept as they say it will change the future on how homes are build, utilizing much paper in need of recycling. It gives me ideas for putting up here at least for starters a storage structure. Of course it is a catch 22, I would need much water to accomplish that task so we have to get the water situation under control first! Time will tell
Enjoy the rideBe well Ara & Spirit

The Oasis of my Soul...

405921819_Kr9Js-L.jpg

ÔÇ£PapercreteÔÇØ Homes, Texas

Quite an alternative for structures which would do well in this climate. A paper shelter! Who would have thought
But of course as everything else there is a catch. Need for a mixer and above all water which we do not have to spare Some kind of a pick up truck to haul stuff some tools. A tent is sounding better and better! Always two sides to the coin.
This land tears me up sometimes in the sense that I donÔÇÖt want to leave, such silence, quiet, peace and serenity surrounded by beautiful landscape, at the same time the road calls, the wind on my face while rolling down the stretches is also part of the present Life. I try to balance it utilizing warmer times to do so.
It is now the perfect weather for this area, it was a good decision to anchor down for the winter, not saying there will not be some freezing spells! I am hoping for some blankets of snow sometime in the near future.
On to Alpine today there seem to be always and errand to run!
Be well enjoy the papercrete homes

Ara & Spirit

408333576_b5aXU-L.jpg

To Boquillas Canyon, Texas

With much going on in the neighborhood such as mainly the Chili Cook Off, meaning ÔÇ£stay off the roadsÔÇØ, we went in hiding into Big BendÔÇÖs Park. Very few cars, a couple bikes and much space. Lets face it, it is the least visited Park in the USA.
We spend some time by the Rio Grande, across from Boquillas, Mexico, a small town separated from the World by a closed border and a River.
Such little distance separates us and yet in reality a different civilization is there, we are the same but we are not. We should be maybe some day?
The ride back was as pleasant as the ride in, maybe a bit more thoughtful, unless totally insensitive to others it would be impossible to not start thinking at a population so close to us and yet so cut off from the mainstream.
The photos are on the Blog

Be well Ara & Spirit

409395761_zXQJU-L-1.jpg

Matters of the Heart, Texas

The ride to Alpine the other day was of a different tempo! There is a first for everything. What a better way to celebrate two years on the road with an Ambulance ride to the Hospital!
The heart just gave up. Spirit was left behind and I went ahead for some care and maintenance. First the bike, now myself. We will all be brand new soon. We are going back today as we made it here when released, more tests and needing to spend some time with a Cardiologist, either here or in Odessa.
I feel a bit in limbo as they say! The bike is even covered right now as we will be away for these couple of days. What a sad sight!
Coincidentally it was also the celebration of the ÔÇ£Day of the DeadÔÇØ in Terlingua.
More about it all on the Blog

Be well Ara & Spirit

411306227_MZaNs-L.jpg

The ÔÇ£ColorsÔÇØ of Life, Texas

Back at The Oasis, feeling better by the day and trying to sort out the steps to maybe be approved for Health Care. This reminds me so much of the times when Lance was sick and we were asked for the mighty $ first who cared what his name was. I am getting the same treatment! It is a sad state of affair but somehow, either here or Florida, it will be taken care off.
I think there is a bunch of Dual Sport Riders in town this weekend, a turn of the throttle and will go to meet them as we did last year.
All is well, I feel so clean as I think the nicotine has left my body by now and without coffee either my senses are becoming so perceptive of my environment. I was thinking this morning how great this was, much less to pack on the rig!!! It is a change I have to say, a great change as I have to take the positive aspect of it all.
Another recipe, all on the Blog.
Be well Ara & Spirit

178154685_kThGy-L.jpg

In retrospect, Texas

I feel as the meds are kicking in. There is a clarity in the mind which is starting to prevail and that nicotine craving is just about gone, hoping that the Cardiologists prognosis on the 17th will be a decent and fair one! We are actually going to take ride today into Terlingua, Lajitas. There is a group of dual sport riders in town and many we had met last year. The Lifestyle change was almost brutal the first days but already now it seems that all is leveling off and my attention is starting to again focus on traveling! I need to focus a bit more and being anchored down for winter here, always mild but yet, high winds and freezing temps do happen. Yesterday morning actually for the first time Spirits outside water bowl froze to my surprise.
Photos? They are all from ÔÇ£memory laneÔÇØ, they have been my travels these past few days throughout the Blog.
Be well, and again, ÔÇ£thank youÔÇØ to all the kind readers that have extended a hand in these difficult times. We both appreciated more than you think.
Ara & Spirit

415567272_AVxPT-L.jpg

Am I now a Photographer? Texas

Having been accepted at KIOWA Gallery in Alpine was a thrill yesterday, specially with Gallery night coming up on the 21st. 6 full size photos will be hanging on the wall.
What a Journey this has been. I read others ride reports filled with riding. Somehow with us I can add undergoing an Echo Cardiogram last night an ambulance ride year round exposed photos in a so well known Gallery much cooking and oh! Yes we also do ride!
Monday morning is still and will be the decisive moment in Odessa seeing the Cardiologist. I think some medication is going to do the trick that is what Spirit thinks anyhow.
We are back in Alpine for now, too much commute if we stayed up ÔÇ£The OasisÔÇØ. My Friend Mac Gyver, meaning Ryan, also has gone home after setting up the solar system to an even better output performance.
This is Life on the road, a bit hectic right now, all things must pass they say, this will too.
Be well Ara & Spirit

416317054_FMUQU-L-1.jpg

The ultimate therapy Texas

I think anything where your head can stick out with no roof going down the road would be the ultimate therapy as it is for us. I say us as Spirit always agrees to take off, I have yet to hear a complain from him. It is that no partition feeling with the surrounding scenery, it is the wind with its moods and strengths, it is being transposed into another space where nothing much from the real world on foot quite matters anymore. And I say anything as many would not care for a motorcycle. So there are sidecar rigs like ours, three wheelers, some new fancy designs have surfaced lately with two wheels in the front and one in the rear I think a nice little convertible will also do!
As long as we can ride, this waiting game, this counting the days to Monday, will be fine. I think once this is all behind us, including Art Gallery Nights the following weekend, I have already this fantasy that we are going to take off, follow a southern route to California and slowly go up the coast trying to stay warm.
I think I will be bursting by then
In the meantime it was a timeless ride to Ft Davis.
Be well hope all this makes a bit of sense! Ara & Spirit

419661478_3DaFo-L.jpg

Marfa, Texas

Ride and more riding, just have to, it is ÔÇ£the ÔÇ£prescription with unlimited refills, no DrÔÇÖs visits needed. Marfa was our destination.
Yesterday we did drive to Odessa. Paul Glaves was great company and courteous enough to wheel me there and back. The miles went on like a flash, I think we could have gone cross country and never be without an interesting conversation.
The Drs visit itself? Well my echo cardiogram never made it, no where to be found. He was actually more concerned with the arteries that had the bypasses 13 years ago, kind of like an old tube in a tire I guess. So back to Odessa on Monday for this time a Nuclear stress test. Sounds dramatic. I guess we will just take all this one step at the time. The attitude has not changed with receptionists! It will be $210 for your first visit she said without looking up as I replied how about if I dont like the Dr? will I get refund. Two hours later (waiting was free) I made his acquaintance as he also insisted that he hears the I dont have Insurance too many times a day I am here as a medical Doctor he went on to make me understand, not a Social worker And I did trust me! Be well always. Ara & Spirit

421011198_T3Wv8-L.jpg

Indian Head trail Rd, Texas

Just a few miles south of ÔÇ£The OasisÔÇØ, on the outskirts of Terlingua, is this road that will take you to a ÔÇ£spaceÔÇØ to me unlike any others. It is also an entrance of Big Bend Park, it is a show of Mother NatureÔÇÖs work, it is a display of rocks in shapes, colors and intricate cuts a bit rare in this area. They are raw, cracked, balanced often defying gravity, they are my destination when wanting to escape and do some hiking as the trail/road also leads to some spectacular views of the Chisos.
We did not spend all day, just long enough to again leave in total amazement.
Tomorrow ÔÇ£white elephantÔÇØ is moving to Alpine for a couple days. This is when I suddenly decided that I do enjoy it! I can park anywhere and still be home, eliminating the commute back here. AlpineÔÇÖs Gallery Nights will start in the am and promises to be two fun filled days as I will also try to take a lot of pictures.
So till then enjoy the rocks.
Be well Ara & Spirit

Back