• Welcome Guest! If you are already a member of the BMW MOA, please log in to the forum in the upper right hand corner of this page. Check "Remember Me?" if you wish to stay logged in.

We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMWMOA forum provides. Why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the club magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMWMOA offers?

Want to read the MOA monthly magazine for free? Take a 3-month test ride of the magazine; check here for details.

• NOTE. Some content will be hidden from you. If you want to view all content, you must register for the forum if you are not a member, or if a member, you must be logged in.

"The Oasis of my Soul"... a Lifelong Journey...

The Oasis of my Soul...

Me sometimes not well... too much sun mixing with too much below freezing... can you make tea out of that stuff?:laugh

278366780_74fTi-L.jpg

A ride through Valley of the Gods, Utah

This will not be our last ride on that 17 miles stretch of dirt road! We might even move near it next week, pull up a chair and wait for something to happen maybe a revelation? maybe one of those striking moments of Life? Who knows it is after all called Valley of the Gods for a reason so does the legends go.
It is free travel, free camping with no facilities what so ever and the views are also for the taking! We only met up with half a dozen cars all day, most people we talked to had never even heard of it as the near by Monument Valley is definitely more advertised A good thing!
More and more I am finding out that time is in direct relationship with my surrounding as I have totally lost track of it being here. With such a contrast, the multitudes of Lifestyles does not cease to amaze me
You be well Ara & Spirit

The Oasis of my Soul...

280190647_Bxnjz-L.jpg

The City of Bluff, Utah

I am actually writing this off line from the Gooseneck State Park. If you need a facial come on over! Have not experienced such a sand storm in eternity, one reason we could not even get in the Valley of the Gods not rain or snow much sand!
The City of Bluff is now my central point for my mail for a while, Blanding unfortunately 50 miles from here is good for provisions! There is nothing in between and so if you want to eat anything besides Hostess Pies and drink soda you better load up on your needs when you get here. I forgot you can always get a plain old average $30 steak in Mexican Hat!
Bluff has a great Historical past, I think any path taken by the Pioneers has some great stories and a few pictures on the Blog to prove it
Maybe this wind will die down and I can put up my Dish up, real impossible right now I even took Spirit for a walk with his Doggles on!
Be well Ara & Spirit (Dish is up!)

The Oasis of my Soul..

280799782_xDuEj-L.jpg

Sandstorms at the Gooseneck State Park, Utah

The winds have come back with a vengeance! The nights will drop to in between 18 and 12... So when is summer? when is the calm? I have just checked 6 weather sites! they dont all agree either. Oh, yes, the mosquito count is low!!! Now that is a big help Just sit tight right?
We are truly camped at one of the most beautiful sight on Earth only 50 feet away from a 1000 drop down the San Juan river I try not to think about that fact, nightmares you know!
It takes 5 miles for this river to go 1 linear mile what a work of Art it is right in between The Valley of the Gods and Monument Valley. We have not even started Old Faithful yet, just hiking around maybe shedding some of the winter weight.
Ah! I guess I am ready to wear my summer mesh jacket and store my electric heated gear Patience
Till later be well Ara & Spirit

The Oasis of my Soul..

281488476_ckZvY-L.jpg

Living in Valley of the Gods, Utah

Its kind of like my town now! this 17 mile stretch of road, barely a few cars going by throughout the day and wherever you turn around a monument one cannot take their eyes off!
But yesterday the wind came back with a vengeance and the forecast is for more today, 29mph per hour might not sound like much but it is!!! Hate to move, I remember from last year, wind is everywhere at this time of the year.
Troubled by Life? Come and camp here for a while I promise you all will change as the days go by and you will experience so serious humbling moments.
With some hope we will ride up to Muley Point today through a stretch of twisty roads hand carved by the Natives many years ago.
Enjoy the Blog and be well
Ara & Spirit

The Oasis of my Soul..

283181610_yzFK7-L.jpg

Muley Point, Utah

Another space not to miss! Muley point Moki Dugway unlike what I was told is an easy ride up or down, gravel and black top on the curves. And then you get to the top, make a left on another mild dirt road, #241, a few miles later you will feel as you are on Top of the World. Gooseneck underneath, below also is the road to Johns Canyon. This is where you can camp for weeks at the time with no one ever taking sight at you. One form of therapy!
Every day the decision to move or not due to hellacious winds has crossed my mind. One more day I keep thinking, as my head feels like being beat up by a 2 x 4 by evening and the forecast, well, totally wrong on all points. A little ride back to Bluff today to check the mail, we have been here a week now and we are self contained for at least another week including water and food! Even Spirit is beat, he does not even want to lay outside in the midst of ll the howling! Our daily Life on the Blog!

The Oasis of my Soul..

284393931_zWY7f-L.jpg

Back in Bluff, Utah

That view, that serene and windy (!!!) space is no more as we have moved back to Bluff trying to get some tranquility with the weather. There is no rest when it blows in the Desert, and so strange as there is really not much of a danger, must be a mind thing!
Just hanging out here, will be dealing with some tires that should arrive shortly. Seems that the nearest shop that could mount them is a Norton Dealer in Dolores. I have send them an e mail to find out if they could also balance them.
It is time to clean up a bit, everything we own is red, dusty and beat! Not a forgiving environment
More roads to explore around here, trying to figure out where we are going next besides again Monument Valley where none of my pictures turned out!
More on the Blog
Be well Ara & Spirit

The Oasis of my Soul...

285773101_Xckv3-L.jpg

People we meet and a bit of Monument Valley, Utah

At this time of the year, a ride is a gamble trying to see the sights always the wind which can change within even 10 miles from one place to another. We tried Monument Valley twice and got lucky once, but we will not camp there as we will be headed a bit north again, probably camp at the Needles, the southern part of Canyonland. Eventually back to Moab for a bit and then who knows!
We meet some interesting people on the road, they are out there, just have to bump into them or make a U turn and chat!
That is mostly what is on the Blog today, specially Joff, I lift my hat to him you need to check out his website.
You be well see you on the road everyone seems to be going somewhere.
Ara & Spirit

The Oasis of my Soul...

286800515_mfTv7-L.jpg

Around and around in Circles, Utah

We had the good fortune to meet a big group of balloonists the other day going through Mexican Hat and end up spending a great morning with them, learning about the intricacies of the sport It seems like a sport after all with more people on the ground helping than in the air. A great bunch of people and some shots which turned out not too bad after all.
We will be most likely writing from Needles next time, the southern entrance of Canyonland. Many friends are suppose to show up in Moab also but will see how that goes.
We are doing good here, things have relaxed since being better sheltered, amazing what some nasty weather can do while living on the road
Enjoy the balloons!
Be well always
Ara & Spirit

Alway's a pleasure to read about your adventures and wonderful photographs.:thumb :brad

I just love this picture, I don't know anyone who doesn't need one!
Any chance you can get bumper stickers too? :thumb
bite_me_left.png

You know, I have been in the midst of making stickers "just like" the LOGO on the site... but not too exciting! Spirit has his picture taken about dozens of times per day... after a while... well, you know! But I will right now start the steps to have HIS sticker made up... thanks for the thought as so many people want to take his picture they can buy one for a couple bicks for our fuel cost! I have not been able to bring myself to do that but... I will now... Thanks for the thought... I will send you some...
Be well... Ara & Spirit

The Oasis of my Soul...

288143764_T4Wzo-L.jpg

We will not fight against the weather anymore! Utah

Always trying to get somewhere! Just not taking NO for an answer We had to yesterday, amongst more sandstorms in Needles. And I look at the forecast as we pushed north now, at Kens Lake right before Moab, and none of it looks much more conductive. So we will wait eventually this will change also Maybe we should have stayed in Bluff, well sheltered and warm.
But the road to Needles is something to see! Just so incredibly beautiful. Soon!
We are warm inside, we have food and good health what else do we need really! All things must pass as they say and this will too Soon it will be over 100 degrees most likely that thought feels already good
Today is like an opening day as our project hanging pictures in a Gallery is done! You will see it on the BlogTill next time, always wishing you well
Ara & Spirit

The Oasis of my Soul...

289107329_oY6QT-L.jpg

Towards Needles, Utah

It was a beautiful day, one of those you know, A Gift from Mother Nature! Headed toward the southern entrance of Canyonland, leisurely, just relaxed with no fighting of the elements and stopping too often to take a picture and even hike a bit amongst the blooming cactuses… and sometimes chat with the tourists!
We are actually going back today to look for another campsite for next week sometime. BLM has much free camping, fenced and gated, but I checked and it will be like having our own piece of land for a while!
Interesting Petroglyphs also… all on the Blog! After all this time I still don’t know… “in” or “on” the Blog! Does it matter?
Be well… Ara & Spirit

The Oasis of my Soul...

290786043_Q3hiM-L.jpg

Needles and back, Utah

I started wondering if we will ever leave Utah!!! Tomorrow we are actually moving to the Needles area. Some friends have a great site and are moving we are going to replace them! Maybe spend one night side by side company will be nice.
The sights are endless, every step of the way is a rock, a formation so different from each other and I love rocks! I keep imagining how their shapes over those billions of years have changed to the present. It makes me feel so minuscule!
The scenery itself is changing. We rode the Colorado River yesterday and it was like a new ride all has become green and actually we are going back today as the sun sets to take some pictures of the glistening waters
The weather? THIS is the time to come and visit T Shirt and Gear Jacket that is all!
Todays Blog is the rest of Needles first visit and some odd Artifacts from The Hole in the Wall
Be well Ara & Spirit

The Oasis of my Soul...

291883484_85fYg-L.jpg

La Sal Mountain loop, Utah

I am writing this from Lockhart Pass, Needles area (Lat 38 10 / Long 109 40) just in case you are in the neighborhood! Away from the campground, not too far from the road where I have already seen a few two wheelers go on probably to do the loop toward Hurray Pass
But couple days ago we did the La Sal Mountain loop and one should not miss the incredible scenery, the fresh air and the nice curvy roads with still a bit of snow on the shoulders, enough to make a snowman for Spirit or maybe it was a snowwoman?
Met up wit many riders coming through Moab including a group of old Indians from Holland! What a Hub it is
Will be here a while off the grid.
Enjoy the Blog come and visit, plenty of room here!
Be well, Ara & Spirit

I have been loving keeping up with you post Beemerchef...:thumb

makes me wonder how do i get my Cat to ride on the cycle...:scratch since i see you pooch chill'in i nthe side car..

once the snow melts and you head in to Colorado... stop by and i take you to a great pizza place in Carbondale, CO... :eat

later
OU

I have been loving keeping up with you post Beemerchef...:thumb

makes me wonder how do i get my Cat to ride on the cycle...:scratch since i see you pooch chill'in i nthe side car..

once the snow melts and you head in to Colorado... stop by and i take you to a great pizza place in Carbondale, CO... :eat

later
OU

Did you say PIZZA?... GOOD PIZZA?... I dream about Pizza and all I get is sand between my teeth!... I think we might do CO nstead of Wyoming and Montana... I hear of much wind in WY...
How about a backpack type mesh bag on your chest for your cat... have seen many riders take their little dogs that way... or a covered basket on the tank? You can do it...
Be well... Ara & Spirit

Did you say PIZZA?... GOOD PIZZA?... I dream about Pizza and all I get is sand between my teeth!... I think we might do CO nstead of Wyoming and Montana... I hear of much wind in WY...
How about a backpack type mesh bag on your chest for your cat... have seen many riders take their little dogs that way... or a covered basket on the tank? You can do it...
Be well... Ara & Spirit

I80 is very windy all the time... MT is not bad when i have been there... WY is just windy everywhere i think... ya the place my wife use to run has a goat cheese, pear, carmelized onion, with kamalata olive, alfredo sauce pizza..

I80 is very windy all the time... MT is not bad when i have been there... WY is just windy everywhere i think... ya the place my wife use to run has a goat cheese, pear, carmelized onion, with kamalata olive, alfredo sauce pizza..

STOP IT!!!....

They are all my favorite... www.personalchefara.com

Have to get back at you somehow!!!...

Be well... Ara & Spirit!

:p
STOP IT!!!....

They are all my favorite... www.personalchefara.com

Have to get back at you somehow!!!...

Be well... Ara & Spirit!

If you are heading north to WY you need to check out Thermopolis and the natural mineral hot springs... the state run pool is free... you get 20 minutes per day.. there are pay places next door...my wife and i did it last OCt and drove from Yellowstone to Thermo just for the pools... it was worth it... there is an intersting collection of hunting trophies in the Holiday Inns steak house... the owner even has a "horned" walleye on the wall with a few rare Jackalopes...
thermo2.jpg

thermo.jpg

Back