• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

"The Oasis of my Soul"... a Lifelong Journey...

The Oasis of my Soul...

657543114_rE7qk-O.jpg

Almost there TX

Do I feel being there yet? Not yet Northern Texas is just not the same, even if knowing we are only about 300 miles or so away from The Oasis. A very big faux pas Looking for City Market here in Lubbock when it is in Lulling! My hopes for great BBQ have suddenly vanished as it will be a while till we adventure ourselves toward Eastern Texas. I am thinking, with the fire pits and pecan wood awaiting, it is grand time for me to learn and make my own. After over 40 years of cooking I feel as I should be able to comprehend and put into form one of my favorite fares. Pork BBQ.
In the meantime, a few stops here and there, little towns so desolate one can wonder how long they will stay on the map, old cars, even the small town of Slaton is quiet and the Bakery visited last year does not seem as it is offering anything too remotely exciting..
I feel and so ready for quiet. It has been the Urban noises these past few days, we have had our fill of it. Anticipation, never thought I would be so attached to such Land!
Be well
Ara & Spirit

See you soon, Ara

Oh, the quiet!

We'll be at the adobe tomorrow late afternoon.

Voni
sMiling

650764076_ejooX-L.jpg

Scenic, that is the Town of… SD

We should all practice wrong turns, getting lost without a watch, only the sun throughout the days and the stars at night guiding us throughout the back country so opulent here. Forget schedules, routes, you will find so much more richness around you and the unexpected. That is the way we stumbled on “Scenic”, this little almost Ghost Town which took most of the afternoon to walk through and play with the camera. So much History here and even more than History in this part of the country, it is the way how everyone lived. The shootings, the much drinking, prevalent jails everywhere, long horse rides for passing on the news, ancient by then when they arrived to their destinations, so much seems to have changed, maybe however not all.
We are still headed south, the temps near by Denver are already on the warmer side, the days are shorter, fall is here almost, winter will not be long, I like the cold!!!
It won’t be long at all… I can taste my vision and hear Spirit again running free, his eyes always locked on me, must be “Love” I think… as my own eyes and ears also are locked on him. Build a fire within minutes of our arrival… those are all my thoughts for the day.
Be well… always.
Ara & Spirit

Wonderful post! Great "down low" street photo. Also, I have been to "The Garden Of The Gods" many times. I lived in nearby Canon, City as a child. Pretty. I have really enjoyed following you on the road and now that is almost over I am a little sad. Many more happy journeys my friend!
James

The Oasis of my Soul

Thanks James... sounds like everyone has lived near Valley of the Gods... it would explain a lot... :)

660252733_fRbgV-L-1.jpg

The Windmills of Lubbock, TX

I felt myself being caught in a giant windmill these past days! Stopping over through the big cities (anything over population 500), at the mercy of a world getting noisier by the day, the moving boom boxes, the trucks and cars exhausts reaching jet engine decibels, a foreign English language glad that Spirit does not understand it, last minute errands as to avoid the 130 mile round trips to Alpine which is the closest decent center for supplies, all concentrated over a few days for the first time allowed within me a stress level unknown for a long time. All is past now however as we have safely reached ÔÇ£The OasisÔÇØ where time stops and whispers are enough to communicate with ÔÇ£Two FeathersÔÇØ and ÔÇ£SpiritÔÇØ.
Lubbocks Windmill Museum was however worth the visit as it was last year. Seeing the Worlds largest mural depicting the History of Windmills almost completed was a feast to the eyes covering over 5000 square feet. A few projects here are awaiting, being 3 is half as much more as being two no dwellings, only thinking about more water and more fire!
Enjoy the Windmill and mural photos on the BlogBe well
Ara & Spirit

The Oasis of my Soul... Life Under the Stars

663184024_SswNb-O.jpg

Dreams and Reality at ÔÇ£The OasisÔÇØ, TX

So stuff is starting to accumulate I just realized. How did this happen I started wondering yesterday as photos do not lie. Can I say ÔÇ£it is all her stuff?ÔÇØ. Not too fair as a lot of it is also mine, I just donÔÇÖt know how it made itÔÇÖs way into this Space of ours. So this is what we are dealing with right now, even if the weather has been the hottest ever while here. Tomorrow we are taking our first ride into Terlingua, I think I will see some changes most likely, nice ones I am sure.
In the meantime my summer dreams and fall reality have made contact giving me, us, much to think about, all good, different, a positive change toward a path where Space is now shared with much Friendship and respect.
The first steps are ones I have written about on the Blog with some photos right here, 360 degree views Why would we want to go anywhere!
Enjoy and Thank You for all your kind Welcome Home words Texas style
Be well
Ara & Spirit

The Oasis of my Soul...

666483928_sCHmF-L.jpg

Hanging out as a Tour Guide, TX

This will be the fourth winter we set up base camp here at The Oasis. Hard to believe. And every year there is an apprehension that comes over me as what are we now going to do? I think we have seen it all
And every year I realize we will leave with more unseen and non experienced spaces. Over a 1000 miles of roads to explore outside the Park with constantly changing sceneries as the land of my Friend Ryan we stopped by last evening coming back here, through again different roads. We also managed to ride into Terlingua in the heat of noon as being the only souls and vehicle around. We were not smart enough, yet anyhow, to avoid the 106 degree temperature awaiting for us. The little town has not changed much, if any, as already familiar faces were present, my first thought of course being how did they survive the summer showing sustained temperatures of 136 degrees. A bit warm I would say for anyone. It is rugged country, raw and non forgiving unless obeying the rules, Mother Natures rules. Great time now and ahead.Be well
Ara & Spirit

The Oasis of my Soul..

669625870_MNiih-L.jpg

Front row seat at ÔÇ£The OasisÔÇØ, TX

There has not been a square inch of space that has ever matched the beauty served on ÔÇ£The OasisÔÇØ throughout our summer travels. Montana, Wyoming, Colorado, Utah, they all contained their own so generously shared throughout our riding that never ceased, but the Spirituality of my Life is here adding so much that daily the astonishment does not cease. As even this morning watching a full Moon going over the Horizon and one step turning around watching the Sun rise all at the same time. The incessant patterns of clouds being drawn so delicately enhancing the senses, some fog on the distant hills rolling away awaiting a further time of the day to uncover it all. It is just plainly Magic that takes away even the remote thought of other parts of this Earth we are on. It feels as we have settled already a bit here and time has arrived to go on our daily and overnight rides exploring this vast Arena we left behind for a few months. Unusual rains and heat has been present, today it feels as we have been given back the ancient pattern of pleasantness which should last for months to come.
We had a front row seat a couple nights ago and I am so happy to be able to share it.
Be well
Ara & Spirit

672185732_qBVGB-L.jpg

A curve ball. TX

This base camp here for the winter is not complex, I try to keep it simple, and yet I am finding ourselves surrounded with more and more conveniences. Right out of the ground comes up a phone and DSL line, there is now, borrowed, a 325 gallon water tank, a 40ÔÇÖ shipping container which will be used as a storage for ÔÇ£stuffÔÇØ and ÔÇ£Old FaithfulÔÇØ, the solar is working well as long as being conservative, and a new fire pit for the Dutch Oven we tried yesterday for the first time. It is a recipe from my Friend Teri in Ennis, Montana, and I felt there was a bit of that space surrounding us while sharing our dinner with my Friends Paul and Voni. I write ÔÇ£ourÔÇØ meaning Spirit and I, as my Friend has left already. That was the ÔÇ£curve ballÔÇØ on Saturday, pressure from Family obligations left behind, not much else to say about it besides all is again quiet within this space unlike others.
The forecast is finally showing some cooling off starting Friday, I keep thinking I just want to be cold as the heat robs a bit of my energy and puts a damper on even going away to the so many destinations that awaits for us.
Soon Heat and humid meaning lightning storms, enjoy the photos of it on the Blog.
Be well
Ara & Spirit

674964140_iGDbK-L.jpg

The ÔÇ£GentlenessÔÇØ of Life. TX

More and more, increasingly since we have been back here at The Oasis, I am feeling such a parallel between Life and Mother Nature. Havoc she creates with her powerful storms, uncomfortable is what she makes us with too much heat, and yet as Life itself going through itÔÇÖs own turmoil, I find an order within all, the scales constantly tilting a bit here and a bit there, the ÔÇ£gentlenessÔÇØ of it all always comes back leaving past imprints on us, making us appreciate the delicate balance of it all.
We endured the Mother of all Storms the other night, there was only one big blob of red in the whole country and we were right in the middle of it! A bit earlier the same day and almost at the same time, we were riding with my Friend Ryan in his 4x4 Mule, a great vehicle I found out that goes everywhere, luckily got us out of the still waters before the deluge came down on us. That was on my insistence as he has yet to build up some serious awareness respecting Mother Nature. Flash floods can be detrimental to ones health all but too quickly.
Another day at The Oasis
Be well
Ara & Spirit

And Alpine is supposed to get down to 45 tonight, Ara. 55 or so in Terlingua. NOAA says 49 for our house so you ought to see about 40 down in the vortex. :) Forget the solar and air. Check the propane! But it looks like 60/80 for most of the next week.

You have provided some of the most beautiful scenes!!! If Nova Scotia ever crosses your mind as doable then we would love to have you and Spirit visit. Thanks. -Bob and Mary, Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada

You have provided some of the most beautiful scenes!!! If Nova Scotia ever crosses your mind as doable then we would love to have you and Spirit visit. Thanks. -Bob and Mary, Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada

Thanks Paul...

Nova Scotia would be real nice... Lets see what next summer brings... much of where we go is based on $ availability. Thanks...

678612778_5FkQF-L.jpg

Regional Entertainment, Tx

Good weather, a Saturday (I had to know as much even if we try to live without a calendar!) and a ride to Marfa for their big weekend. But it is not only Marfa, could be Terlingua, Alpine, Marathon, Fort Davis, even the little town of Valentine, they are all joining in for festivities for what we call around here “The Season”, which is about to start. Of course never a big crowd, we are too far from the rest of the World, locals are not that of many, and yet the cash registers need to start shifting gear, summer savings must be dwindling. The Shelbys as every year were in the neighborhood, A Music Festival at the interesting RV Park / Community “El Cosmico”, The “Food Shark” with the best Falafel sandwich was crowded with a long line, and a Cat Woman slowly lingering the streets. The Galleries were open but I was told everywhere we stopped that “Art” is not doing very well unlike the Restaurants and Hotels which are full. Priorities these days must be such.
It will be time coming for a road trip, there has been much to take care of here, amazing as even Life on the road has it’s ability to furnish responsabilities that need to be taking care off.
You be well… Enjoy the Blog…
Ara & Spirit

The Oasis of my Soul..

681639969_hM72H-L.jpg

IsnÔÇÖt His Birthday every day? Tx

Another year has gone by as here at ÔÇ£The OasisÔÇØ spend throughout a multitude of emotions, LanceÔÇÖs Birthday passed by with fanfare only within myself. There was no music, no cake, no laughter, but the vivid memories of what use to be on this day only seemingly moments ago.
As just on cue, the weather had turned on us, much rain again, barely allowing us to get out on these slippery mud covered with water unpaved roads.
Today however it is as the dark veil has lifted itself off, remembering my promises to go on as we have been for the past years, to stay strongly planted on this Journey, riding, hiking and just plain living, experiencing all that surrounds us throughout our own time here on this large stage Mother Nature always managing to direct on her own terms.
Maybe soon the temperatures will remain under 100 unlike yesterday when again it reached 107, a day as someone else said ÔÇ£I could have shoveled the humidityÔÇØ.
Spirit was in an overly playful mood, it is as he tries to lift my own Spirits and does a good job at it, no doubt he is my pillar throughout these days.
Be well more on the Blog.
Ara & Spirit

683965867_ro43Y-L.jpg

A new addition at ÔÇ£The OasisÔÇØ, Tx

Sorry it is again not a ride report as putting this Taj Majal together has taken more time than thought. After all, who needs to read directions, instructions! I have set up tents all my Life
It is a cozy dwelling, wood stove and hot water tank, will stand up against the rains and winds, the view is spectacular, an old table that has some local history to write on, a couple old chairs, a cot for myself when up late only having a couple steps to take to spend the night on.
The winds and the rocky grounds made this project a bit more difficult, but I am liking the result and so does Spirit as long as he gets to lay down on of course the softer side. Amazing how dogs know the soft spots, must be a sixth sense build in their temperament.
The weather is finally bearable, pleasant, feeling as we are making again a connection with an old acquaintance, as someone told me today when explaining where we are ÔÇ£the flatsÔÇØ. I like that because we are surrounded by the mountains, this is front row seat for always the best show Mother Nature puts on within Texas.
A couple tires to change, some fresh oil and some new destinations we have only arrived, but somehow ready to go. Some day I might understand that concept, no need to right now.
More of the Taj Majal
Be well
Ara & Spirit

The Oasis of my Soul...

687521104_QxGeL-L.jpg

Why do I write? and some local colors. Tx

With millions of Blogs in cyberspace I use to wonder why writing from so many. Eventually browsing around, the categories emerge for themselves for so many reasons of being. Staying in touch with Family, Friends, Companies are now blogging about their products, it is endless. And so I tried to put down in words my own reasons as various as they are from the traveling point, to my Buddy Spirit, cooking sometimes, my inner thoughts and state of mind often as I like to see my Blog as a Journal instead of course it is called a Blog!
Perfect weather has been present these past days (not tonight as we are getting the winds from Tropical Storm Rick) as we took a ride from Terlingua to Ft Davis. It seems to be the annual thing to do, see some old Friends, try for some new photos as the ride itself is always the best of it all.
Not much has changed really, everyone is getting younger and loosing weight as I am (!!!) and going on about their own Lives as we do. The area seems pretty much being untouched from the rest of the World, the season and the off season remains the same, no one is complaining, it feels almost as we are totally detached from the ups and downs one might read.
The ÔÇ£good newsÔÇØ Blog!

Be well

Ara & Spirit

690858201_AWqkD-L.jpg

A Ride and thoughts through Big Bend Park, Tx

Big Bend Park! Immense and desolate filled with the many Spirits lingering upon the thousands of acres we can ride through every day if we so desire. Every road, paved or not, has itÔÇÖs calling. ItÔÇÖs physical aspect is not Zion or Bryce Canyon or even the Grand Canyon, but itÔÇÖs mental one is, as designed to bring out the core of anyoneÔÇÖs Soul is they allow it.
I met a member from Big Bend Chat near by Maverick Rd., F. Marty, and as he said it so well Whenever I visit another Park I always think about Big Bend, when I am here I never think about anywhere else, as I realize it being so true. It is therapy at its outmost to just be just there, a different dimension seemingly we fall into, it has its own little World, its own parameters, even weather and climate.
We are still off season right now, the cars are few, the day was as being in a private area spoiling us as never before.
More on the Blog.
Be well
Ara & Spirit

694431173_EymPi-L.jpg

More on the papercrete homes, Tx

Well, it has finally arrived. 29 degrees this morning as I write this, I wanted cold, I got cold! It seems as the temperature has covered this Space with an even quieter blanket as a deep silence prevails this morning. Maybe the birds and everything else alive have taken cover waiting for the rays of sunshine to come trough and warm up this surface we are on.
A couple days ago, I think it was as I loose track of time here, we rode a loop which included stopping in Marathon and see my Friend Eric in charge now of the operation putting up the papercrete homes, those structures unlike any other within the Peaceful Space they are in.
We chatted a long time at the end of a work day for him, his knowledge of the Earth is intense and deep and one never leaves without gaining a richness that prevails always within the words exchanged.
It is all part of the ÔÇ£RideÔÇØ we are on, never being only of a physical one but very much mental taking us up always to a next level awaiting for us.
I often wonder where all this will lead us Time will tell.
Enjoy the Blog.
Be well
Ara & Spirit

Hi, Ara,
Since I don't have your address to send a thank-you note, this will have to do. I really enjoyed the stew and the cobbler on Saturday night. Thank you! You and Spirit are great. I'm looking forward to my next visit to the area (probably in about a month) so I can go to the Park and obtain my "Geezer Pass" since I turn 62 in 3 weeks. If I can talk Paul or Voni to show me the way (again) to The Oasis, I'll come over to see you and Spirit. Again, thanks.
Regards,
Phil Marvin - El Paso, TX

The Oasis of my Soul...

Hi, Ara,
Since I don't have your address to send a thank-you note, this will have to do. I really enjoyed the stew and the cobbler on Saturday night. Thank you! You and Spirit are great. I'm looking forward to my next visit to the area (probably in about a month) so I can go to the Park and obtain my "Geezer Pass" since I turn 62 in 3 weeks. If I can talk Paul or Voni to show me the way (again) to The Oasis, I'll come over to see you and Spirit. Again, thanks.
Regards,
Phil Marvin - El Paso, TX

You are welcome anytime Phil... Glad that you made it back safely! Will try the unburned version of the cobbler next time!:eat

697380161_kxTbH-L.jpg

A bite and a kite in Terlingua, Tx

For one of the rare times we had decided to stop at the Porch in Terlingua on our way to some errands, the good and the bad happened. The ugly too!!! The good is the discovery of kite flying, a smiling pass time as I discovered even if my kite is now laying in the bushes awaiting a new tail. The bad is being bit by a dog of an irresponsible owner with his four dogs out of control. I was watching them chase cars for a while, chase a motorcycle trike, watch him hit those dogs and yell at them, why didnÔÇÖt I think they would also chase me while leaving? Spirit was on the wrong side, he had already send them a message earlier as they had then stayed away from him. So starts the path of calling the Sheriff and on and on. There is no Law here for rabies shots, leashes, luckily I found out that the community had made him get the shots for his dogs this past summer after such already happening incidents. Hopefully these dogs will be put away for at least 40 days soon as I will find out later on today. Maybe never show up on the Porch again.
Right now all is calm around here after a couple days of heavy winds and much rain even hail yesterday. It truly makes one appreciate the present moments
More on the Journal.
Be well
Ara & Spirit

Back