• Welcome Guest! If you are already a member of the BMW MOA, please log in to the forum in the upper right hand corner of this page. Check "Remember Me?" if you wish to stay logged in.

We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMWMOA forum provides. Why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the club magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMWMOA offers?

Want to read the MOA monthly magazine for free? Take a 3-month test ride of the magazine; check here for details.

• NOTE. Some content will be hidden from you. If you want to view all content, you must register for the forum if you are not a member, or if a member, you must be logged in.

"The Oasis of my Soul"... a Lifelong Journey...

The Oasis of my Soul

262926634_ZdMNp-L.jpg

To Albuquerque, NM

Try spelling that word without looking!
We end up using all three free nights of camping the City of Slaton gave us as we had to regroup yesterday. What is regroup? Just a feeling that we are caught up with everything including replying e mails, baking some Treats, cleaning, filing pictures, roasting coffee and taking a nap! That is regroup!!!
A bit of snowing, a bit of wind and beautifully clear this morning as we hit the road again. I will not even bore you again with the destination, seems like lately it takes us twice as long to get anywhere! More on Elvis and Graceland on the Blog while already sorting out the pictures taken at the wind mill museum and the oldest bakery in Texas.
Be well till next time we are rolling.
Ara & Spirit

The Oasis of my Soul

263633307_xoo8U-L.jpg

Leaving Texas

We are in Moab today as soon as we made that eastbound turn on 550, a bit north of Albuquerque, big empty and vast spaces presented themselves and suddenly it was as if another new page of this Journey had been turned. Peaceful, calm and serene, mountain tops covered with snow, cattle grazing in search of green patches, it was as we had never left the West. We stopped many times as the weather cooperated fully with our last leg of thistransition, lucky I was thinking having missed the horrible snow storms that hit the towns we had just come through.
My first picture here on our way near a few miles from Moab! The story of a T shirt, new friends and a Wind Mill Museum on the Blog
You be well come and visit! we will be here a while.

Ara & Spirit

The Oasis of my Soul

264581324_iYz2C-L.jpg

Fascinating Moab, UT.

This is definitely a destination a smorgasbord of rides, photography opportunities, just being amongst it all can be overwhelming and glad that we will have the time to explore it all versus just blowing by at a multitude of frames per second.
Strangest weather here, 80 in the sun by the afternoon, 20 at 6 am 60 degrees difference within every 24 hours! Dress up and take it off constant as even in the hot temps riding is cold
We have only taken a quick ride through the Arches National Park, a few miles also along the Colorado River, today we will head south a bit more and try to ride into Canyonland
Enjoy the Blog
Be well Ara & Spirit

The Oasis of my Soul

265611230_KHR27-L.jpg

Canyonland, Moab, UT

The possibilities are endless in this area. Canyonland was new to us and I share this with others saying that it is actually more beautiful than the Grand Canyon. Maybe ÔÇ£beautifulÔÇØ is the wrong word, as every Park has its own personality and character, Canyonland is more intimate specially when we get the chance to do Schaffer Trail and Long Canyon on the return which both run on the lower MesaÔÇÖs edge near the White Rim.
It is also Jeep Safari week and some of those trails seem just impossible to pass through, called ÔÇ£rock crawlingÔÇØ I have only seen the start of some and we have been invited to ride in one! It has been through the drivers a good source of information as to where ourselves can go or not go. Much going on here!
Be well, Ara & Spirit

The Oasis of my Soul

266383323_E7Rt9-L.jpg

Life in Moab, UT

I think the decision to come here and spend some time was a good one. Diversified for many there is much to do for everyone that loves the outdoor, from the simple hiking (inexpensive) to photography combined, on and off road bicycling and motorcycling, 4x4 jeep rock crawling, rafting, fishing, snow skiing in the winter times and I am sure I am forgetting something.
The town this week is filling up as the Jeep Safari event is taking place and yet the area is so vast that we can get away in other directions and find peace and tranquility.
Still cold specially in the early morning hours, we have yet to witness a sunrise in front of some red rocks glowing as on fire, but that will come soon. We are just exploring the different roads, trying to find some dog friendly lands unlike the National Parks, there are many.
Enjoy the Blog
Be well Ara & Spirit

The Oasis of my Soul

267512531_BtM3R-L.jpg

As Life in Moab goes on

So today I wrote a controversial Blog! So I have been told, all in a positive well mannered as always fashion. I generally do not dwell on situations, the words are there, they had to come out at the risk of offending some maybe which is not my style, but, it is in black and white, it is reality, nothing else. Truly nothing offending! Will there be a Lifestyle change or not all I can say is once the words have been out I have felt filled again with much freedom as to the outcome of this Journey
My tire is late, maybe tomorrow. We have been staying on black top discovering more and more many trails we will be able to ride without great difficulty. I have only seen them from the distance and the views are just spectacular as in ÔÇ£Dead Horse State ParkÔÇØ.
The pictures today are from a ride to Potash along the Colorado River, a salt mining plant and that start of more trails
Enjoy the Blog

Ara & Spirit

The Oasis of my Soul

268455000_uriZP-L.jpg

Dead Horse State Park, UT

Moab is growing on us as every day, with the help of ÔÇ£chit chattingÔÇØ with the locals, we are discovering some doable trails for us. We can ride better than a 2 wheel drive but not as daring as a 4 wheel drive! The best views are off the black top except for a ride to ÔÇ£Dead Horse State ParkÔÇØ, a natural wonder which only took 300 million years to achieve, and still under construction!
The town is filling up with the oddest 4 wheel drive vehicles, one could just sit on a corner and admire the parade going down the street. We waited for the right time to be here as this is going to take some time to explore!
Some great views today
Be well Ara & Spirit

The Oasis of my Soul

269268921_9idXB-L.jpg

Down on Potash Rd, UT

This is one road to mark on your map, you will need a 4x4 or a dual sport motorcycle, nothing too dramatic but rough in some places. A cattle trail established in 1917, constructed further into a truck route and finished in 1952 for the ore and uranium miners, it is now used for the lucky ones that can drive it, ride it and also bicycle it. It is so humbling to traverse the canyon with the thought that all this was started 300 million years ago, one day at the time, erosion slowly with no help of human hands or mind delivering this Artwork for us to be privileged to be on. It is a geology class, it is a photography class, a spiritual journey for most it is, you just need to experience it some day soon. There is no doubt that we will be going back while here, so much yet to witness.
Enjoy the Blog and be well.
Ara & Spirit

The Oasis of my Soul...

270476256_dSrvm-L.jpg

Over my head in Moab, UT

Last night we had to tow the rig back to camp after some a bit to rough riding, a deep creek crossing and the engine dying a couple miles after. 24 hrs hours later with much help from friends, it seems that it is the HEC
Hall Effect Sensor ignorant me, never heard of that animal lounging around deep down somewhere in the midst of all the running parts. Seems like they only last about 50,000 miles, this one must be a record with 182,000 miles on it. Repeat moisture and finally much steam from a deep bath we think gave it its final spark! So we are leaving for Salt Lake City tomorrow, a new part is already on its way to meet us at the shop we are going to! The support on the road is incredible. After posting my trouble, not even an hour later that the diagnostic replies where coming in.
We will be back here in Moab when we are all fixed up!
On the Blog, the last of the Potash Trail, definitely a road worth taking more than once as we will do again soon
Be well Ara & Spirit

Oh man, I just noticed that you're coming up through my neck of the woods. If I had known that I would've arranged a meet if you had time. Maybe I can track you down at the shop. Check your email.

Ride safe.
Cole

The Oasis of my Soul...

271210247_KfF4J-L.jpg

Repairs in Salt Lake City, UT

We arrived yesterday afternoon a bit ahead of schedule, and right away dropped off the bike at Motorcycle Repair and Rendezvous where the Dr wrote all of his symptoms Yet has to be seen if it is the HEC (sensor!). Either way that part is being changed anyhow, too old, and hopefully we will head back to Moab as early as Friday evening as they are fitting us in tomorrow. A great service considering how busy they are, everyone getting ready for the riding season.
Hurray Pass was our last ride before all systems failed, a pass geared more toward smaller dirt bikes and four by fours than anything else, worth the pictures? the adrenaline rush? Will try to avoid those difficult situations in the future!
Wish we watched television after receiving this e mail:
ÔÇ£I didn't see you guys in Moab, but I did see you guys on the rock crawling TV channel when we were watching it late one night.ÔÇØ Maybe next time!
So we are at idle catching up on e mails, cleaning and sleeping now that this afternoon the snow is melting and the sun has made its appearance.
You be well Ara & Spirit

The Oasis of my Soul...

272258166_STXry-L.jpg

Rolling back to Moab, UT

A record or what? considering being 230 miles away from the shop! 72 hours later Old Faithful is running again and we are so ready for some long, did I say long rides!
I guess I do not do too well without the rig at hand kind of lost, feel a bit trapped, immobile even Spirit gets into this lethargic mood, eats less and asks too many questions!
I just find it amazing that the ÔÇ£diagnosisÔÇØ was done over the Internet, the part was mailed to meet us in Salt Lake City and THAT was the problem.
The weather here in Moab is now perfect, April seems to be very promising with a dry 60ÔÇÖs to 70ÔÇÖs during the day and a perfect mid 40ÔÇÖs at night.
The Blog has some photos of Onion Creek Trail, the Fisher Towers and Castle Valley, another ride we took not long ago.
Be well Ara & Spirit

The Oasis of my Soul...

273359512_jvXHv-L.jpg

More of the Arches, UT

No AprilÔÇÖs Fool here as we have fallen back into the slow lane of checking out the sights, looking for the opportunity for some good pictures after this dark weather that was hovering over us.
All is quiet now in Moab, Jeep Safari week is over and so is spring break and this feels like the last stretch for summer, right around the corner. Revived energy thinking about the long days with the cold replaced by higher temperatures allowing us to spend more time outdoor.
The immediate area of the Arches National Park is a constant discovery of shapes and colors taking on their unique personality with every phase of the weather. Patience is one of the common denominator for good pictures and luck. Always luck to be there at the right time, at the right place and not 100 miles away or even being a mile away when the window of opportunity knocks.
I dont think we will ever be tired of the Arches
Be well Ara & Spirit

The Oasis of my Soul...

274597404_NMEQw-L.jpg

Back to the Park Moab

I hope that things do not come in 3s as the saying goes! Ignition sensor last week this week is the starter! Transportation is the problem if we have it rebuilt, but with this kind of mileage will have to bite the bullet and have a new one installed. We will be in Durango on Tuesday night to exchange it on Wednesday, remain in southern Utah for a bit while there and then return. In such events the situation is a bit more complicated when one lives on the road!
I am drawn to this Park again and again. The colors and shapes and shadows are different every time we ride through, we are also trying to not adventure ourselves right now in desolate places just in case the starter decided to totally quit! Just grinds a bit now message received!
So again I took a bunch of pictures while doing some hiking. It is, they are on the BlogBe well Ara & Spirit

The Oasis of my Soul...

275440676_HjApg-L.jpg

The City of Moab, UT

The town is right now a weekend conversion destination for so many activities and quiet during the week seemingly the locals taking over. It is a nice town and I thought I would post some pictures of it. We are getting ready to leave here Tuesday morning for Durango, exchange this starter which has so far, grinding or not, has done well and have not let us stranded.
It will probably take us a couple weeks to return, Mexican Hat, Four Corners, Valley of the Gods, Monument Valley and Natural Bridges are all going to be destinations! Much to see and I am excited about the photography end of it. Hope the weather is conductive to it!
Check out the town on the Blog!
Be well Ara & Spirit

The Oasis of my Soul

276830965_Rfu5M-L.jpg

Short travel from Moab to Durango, AZ, nice scenery with the hills covered with snow and not much else. The new starter is here and we are camping out a few feet from Basin Motorcycles Works (BMW how smart!), a small shop run by Harry. We should be out of here by noon tomorrow and back to Utah/Az.
The more I am reading about the area we are going, the more I am discovering sights not to miss. As Antelope Slot Canyon Coyote Butte and the Wave where they only allow 20 people a day with unbelievable pictures! Mule Point at the end of Moki Dugway much more. I overlooked the fact that this area is so rich, also a Navajo Pow Wow this coming weekend in Page that I would really like to attend and some awesome roads.
I have to curve my enthusiasm and take it one day at the time
On the Blog some interesting double takes!
Be well Ara & Spirit

The Oasis of my Soul...

Kind of looks like Russia... does'nt it?:dunno

277767512_mCXCa-L.jpg

Bluff, Utah

Lots has been going on including some bad weather returning to Utah, Bluff where we are now, camping on BLM land a real nice campground. It seems like Bluff is more my kind of town than Moab A stone throw away to some great riding including a 17 mile stretch through Valley of the Gods! Free camping there also I have never seen such vast land with such a feel and so few people. The bike is fine, Harry at Basin Motorcycle Works did a great job and we were rolling within a couple hours. It is really nice to get to know some independent good mechanics versus the big three piece suit and high rent meaning high valued dotted lines as in BMW Dealerships I am even wondering why the parts, brand new, not rebuild, are half the price!!! It even comes with a handshake
The Blog is about my last hike while in Moab, to the Double Arches, my favorites, up close and personal!!!
Be well always Ara & Spirit

Back