• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

"The Oasis of my Soul"... a Lifelong Journey...

The Oasis of my Soul

753041277_uvQpj-L.jpg

Wishing you all a Happy New Year from Santa Elena Canyon. Tx

It was again a visit to Big Bend National Park the other day, showing off our backyard to a Friend visiting for a couple days. I loose count how many times we ourselves been to Santa Elena Canyon. I also loose it seems the fact of itÔÇÖs beauty and constant changes in itÔÇÖs array of what lays always in front of us. It is so close, so accessible, I think I make the mistake to overlook itÔÇÖs offerings. A reminder to go more often. It reminds me when living and working in Florida by the most beautiful beaches to never go and get sand all over us.
It was a day one could not have asked for better weather and better light to play a bit with the camera, even splashing some rocks in the water to work out that shutter. Just like kids we did.
I just looked at the Calendar and realized tomorrow is the last Day of this present year, these days past which have been good to us, wishing more of it for everyone else reading these words. More and more ÔÇ£timeÔÇØ seems to have shrunk from my Life, many new Friends have made their way into our path and yet many more roads await us. So we do the best we can with the moments we have, one at the time hoping the shoulders of those roads ahead will present themselves as they often do with a wave of such Friends.
You be well always.
Ara & Spirit

The Oasis of my Soul

Amen Brother. Goes double for Spirit.

Spirit always gets double!!! :scratch

755790545_Stir4-L.jpg

Into the New Year, more of Big Bend. Tx

Finally the maintenance on Old Faithful is totally finished, including reinforcing the rear rack supporting my camera case. Seems as the oil changes are endless, one after another they are due. When one does not have a car, that is however generally the case. We are into the New Year obviously, the temps are cold and colder in the mornings, afternoons see me in a short sleeve T shirt. I was thinking about how long it takes us to get ready on an early morning and wrote about it step by step. I find it pretty hilarious, thinking most that have never ridden or are fair weather riders will also share that humor as I can only see it as such.
Big Bend Park has renewed my energy to start exploring its spaces again, the ones we have access to it, paved roads, unpaved roads, no trails Same old story of no dogs on trails in National Parks. But, it is only a few miles from here, I am on a quest of new discoveries for this year.
We are here and we are there, this space and a bit ahead at times, wrongly so maybe, but the road never cease to call us as much as we love it here. It is the eternal quest I feel, the eternal balance trying to maintain.
I picked my favorite photo of the Year enjoy it.
Be well
Ara & Spirit

I do not know the story behind "Photo of the Year" but it has meaning to you and that is always what makes a personal photo valuable, regardless of the quality of the photo itself.

Great photos as usual!
JD

The Oasis of my Soul

I do not know the story behind "Photo of the Year" but it has meaning to you and that is always what makes a personal photo valuable, regardless of the quality of the photo itself.

Great photos as usual!
JD

It is "Grace" on Xmas Day, but truly could be any day... There are more details in my Journal... Thanks.

758327146_SosZk-L.jpg

A ride to Boquillas Canyon. Tx

Sometimes within this big land of ours, no destination is a great one and becomes an even better Journey. Why bother knowing the miles, the time, getting there Even considering the fact that we cannot hike the trails together, Spirit and I, the Park still remains one of my favorite destination, so vast, with still many roads forking to the left and right and many photos to take. Boquillas Canyon is where we end up the other day. I like to go to the look out, unpleasant as it is to see this little Village named Boquillas, isolated because of some bureaucracy needing to be followed. The Border is closed. There is always someone to talk to and their jovial personality considering their situation is always so refreshing. I actually feel more comfortable in such Spaces and conversations than being into a City as I was not too long ago.
We are getting ready for a real cold spell, that is what they say anyhow. To the point right now when a ride is so enjoyed as maybe we will have to stay put for a couple of days an Artic front! The high temperatures will be 25 to 30 degrees below normal It is really promising this time. I have no clue where else we could go to stay warmer during the winter months and yet have the beautiful space as here. So we will endure it a bit!
Enjoy the rideBe well Ara & Spirit

The Oasis of my Soul

760818408_kQqf8-L.jpg

Riding the Wave Tx
Woke up to 4 degrees this morning, yes, ÔÇ£fourÔÇØ. I cannot even remember when I have been surrounded by such temperatures. I realize sticking my nose out there that it did not make much difference from 30 or similar numbers. Within one hour it jumped up to 28! January is just going to be one of those month as the nights truly are making me appreciate the bit warmer times of the day, almost hot compared. I canÔÇÖt wait for ÔÇ£Global WarmingÔÇØ to become a reality!
Once again Terlingua proved to be a town unlike others only a day before this glacial front as we went in for propane and provisions. Deserted Ghost Town it was, waiting for the store to open in the afternoon I did not even find anyone to chat with! Whatever preparations went on, the locals must have been hard at it, no cars, not a soul. Terlingua Trading Company was however open, I had never as seriously adventured myself throughout the aisles, specially with a camera in hand, after of course asking for permission. Have to ask, always, people get upset I know.
So really not much else is new, besides AT&T totally cutting me off from voice and data roaming. Does not matter if you sign up for ÔÇ£free roamingÔÇØ, read the very fine prints as I did not. I have been asked to look for another carrier. None of course will work with the I Phone. Anyone for a slightly always covered and protected I Phone? Which reminds me to ask to stop sending me attachments please. Links only are fine as this is the second go around with a second carrier. At this point I might loose soon all connections, no one truly realizes the complexity and costs to stay connected as we do.
Enjoy and be well. Ara & Spirit

The Oasis of my Soul

762806726_5xCP8-L.jpg

Winter rambling Tx

I feel fortunate in these times of not going backwards. The logistics of the present weather has us pinned down into short days as I am ready to bolt out through those inexistent and only imaginary doors into what use to be. I know too well it will be here soon, the longer days, the warmer times, seeking for shade when now instead chasing the sun.
As a Friend wrote me today
ÔÇ£DonÔÇÖt you know that living in Nature in the open air as you do, you are entitled to tuck away and hibernate along with the other critters hibernating right now, and not ÔÇ£feel guiltyÔÇØ hanging out with Friends and good hearty foodÔÇØ
It is amazing how so often as much as my gears keep unraveling, a few words from a Friend can make a difference. I know this is what all of us are all about. Words and thoughts of kindness toward each other, supporting each other within all present times. So important to all of us.
We had a couple visitors, an old Friend Donna and a new Friend, her Husband Stu, Spirits new buddy! I had to be careful he would not take off with him I think he likes his truck now much better than his own sidecar. I cannot blame him at times One needs to think how long he has been putting on the miles throughout these years in all kinds of weather. He loves it!!!
Well, enjoy the rest of my rambling winter words!
Be well, Ara & Spirit

dakar

Urgent need help and prompt reply from anybody anywhere. I m visiting Chile with the only purpose of watching the dakar race, All the info I had about the schedule is useles.Plublished in the official dakar page. I only managed to get a few pix in the enclosed compound in Antofagasta but nobody knows the routes,times they follow in between the cities. I m in valparaiso now and I m willing to go anywhere in order to see part of the race. PS next year we are riding from vancouver canada to chile if anybody interested to share a container to ship bikes back let me know mario

The Oasis of my Soul

Sorry cannot help you Mario... hope someone else will...

765234670_7qWFR-L.jpg

Paint Gap Rd, Big Bend. Tx

A clearing in the weather? We are out there in a heartbeat we are out taking advantage of it. Not today The pattern has changed here, what were days in and days out of good weather is just no more. This is actually the second day raining while I write this and as I had planned to ride to the Mariscal mines in the Park, even with some sunny skies projected for tomorrow, we might have to wait for the unpaved roads to dry.
But we did have a chance to hang out on Paint Gap Rd for a day, just a couple miles off the main road, far enough to enjoy the serenity and silence surrounding us. The road calls for high clearance but overall a decent one, only for a short time we had to crawl the hack a bit hitting the skid plates here and there. It is a road and so Spirit was able to ÔÇ£legallyÔÇØ hike with me, those are the roads we will look from now on. A few photos were fun here and there, specially when turning around with the Chisos in sight. We did not meet anyone that day, I know all this will change soon.
I am depending more and more on my SPOT and SAT phone in deeper more isolated areas with rougher roads. Having the RangerÔÇÖs phone number and also giving them my web share page as with the short days and cool night we are out of there by the time they close. As most should know, this is rugged country not to be taken lightly.
Enjoy the photos
Be well, always.
Ara & Spirit

The Oasis of my Soul

772082154_4SuwN-L.jpg

The Roads less traveled. TX

The going to Midland was definitely more exciting than the return yesterday. Never thought I would want to get off the road so often bugged down by pain and medication, as the side effects of anti swelling and anitbiotics are just as bad as anything else including the traces of some anesthesia that will probably linger for a while. All is behind now as I am thinking a bit more of those nostalgic roads we took, adorned quite often with what was once in the past a richer one, today dwindling with old cars and trucks and caved in dwellings left behind. I keep wondering if ÔÇ£all thatÔÇØ will also change some day or will the next traveler 100 years down the road will still witness the same memories.
I think these coming days we will just recupperate and try to gain some strenght back. Spirit on the other hand needs to spend some of that strenght, he has been so patient awaiting and waiting some more, supporting me with his kind temperement, if only those eyes could talk louder.
The weather, besides some very strong winds, is cooperating, a bit of warmth is always good and sunshine has also a way to recharge those batteries depleted these past days. Could have been time on my hands or just feeling the few photos on the Journal would fit the days in black and white better, that is the format they are in.
Enjoy and be well. Ara & Spirit

Wonderful photos as usual! Always like "checking in" to see what is new.
JD

Wonderful photos as usual! Always like "checking in" to see what is new.
JD

Thanks JD... never a dull moment you know...

775433136_xJnZA-L.jpg

Six Years ago, today. TX

The ride through our days can so much differ from time to time, from day to day. Quiet it has been lately, trying to get over the surgery which has hit me a bit harder than thought, quiet also has been reliving the day when Lance departed six years ago. He went on his own ride and yet he has never left me. He is daily part of my driving force on this Journey of ours, it is never only the motorcycle, the sidecar with Spirit's presence, a camera, Mother Nature, Friends and new experiences, it is ÔÇ£himÔÇØ always by my side with a promise made I will not break. ÔÇ£I will go onÔÇØ, that is the one. I use to be very angry just a few years ago, always felt as being targeted as the one having lost their only child, but today, on this Day, my Heart also goes for the many others that have lost their Loved ones and are also on the ride of their Lives. I spoke with a Friend near by yesterday, a very fanous photographer that has lost his own Son only a year ago, we so much understood each other as we called ourselves members of the ÔÇ£Tough ClubÔÇØ, not the ÔÇ£Elite ClubÔÇØ as I use to think. As yes, it is tough and as much support as I receive from others I try on this Day to also give back to the ones needing such support themselves.
I should have run out of words throughout these times, but I do not as the steps climbed always present an expression of feelings unknown before.
Be well...
Ara & Spirit

779350385_a5eQJ-L.jpg

A Canvas of so many Spaces. TX

I often wonder throughout these present times if my words to myself makes any sense. Lets face it, the weather has yet to be conductive for farther destinations as ÔÇ£The OasisÔÇØ always provide us with the needed shelter, as even today, planning a few days toward ÔÇ£Chinati Hot SpringsÔÇØ, will be curtailed by a rainy forecast and heavy winds. So there is more thoughts that linger versus more miles taken. There are more local rides and more seeing familiar faces in the surrounding also familiar neighborhoods. As this past Saturday when stumbling on a free BBQ at the Ghost Town Park in Terlingua. Of course ÔÇ£free foodÔÇØ is always welcome, even better when it is good as this might have been the best brisket I have ever had, and the icing on the cake being the familiar faces which I already know we will not see as soon we will be moving on, the northern spaces awaits us. A bit of Music as there is always a Musician or two, or three that day for that matter, ready to entertain us and play their chords together, interesting conversations and some pondering while looking around at the many faces present. Listening to a happy traveler, also hearing another unhappy one, it was all part of the day while Spirit with his nose up into the wind could only wish some of that brisket would find it's way toward him! The years I notice are going by as I looked at the cast present. Some are a bit slower then past times, some are a bit more thoughtful then past years, it is always the present reality that makes up this Space we are in ourselves and makes it so interesting.
More black and whites... I found them being more suited for the occasion.
Be well... always, Ara & Spirit

781528158_mf9Zi-L.jpg

Much to be ÔÇ£ThankfulÔÇØ for. TX

ÔÇ£They sayÔÇØ it has been the coldest winter, it has been the wettest January in these past 25 years and I can attest to it. Which means next winter will be real nice? The rain came down in buckets and suddenly like magic the skies opened up, we ran outside, photos, splashin in the mud, even Spirit who does not care much for water (as he was abused with a fire hydrant) was just like a kid running and jumping. We could have paddled for sure that day... Maybe next time a surfboard for him pulled by Old Faithful. We did manage to get out the next day and run up to ÔÇ£Sotol Look OutÔÇØ in the Park, it is my point of meditation, it is my getaway from our getaway, the ultimate breathing station.
I am starting to again feel human for the first time this morning. Maybe those chemicals from the 3 hour of anesthesia are finally dissipating. All I can say is that it feels good. Bright sunny day, will probably be in the low seventies, the winds are predicted all the way up to 20mph, probably more. I will take that over much of the past weather we have had.
I took the opportunity this time around to ÔÇ£thank muchÔÇØ everyone that has helped us through thick and thin in more ways than one including all our sponsors as I started writing about them having not realized they were quite a few landing a hand in products and otherwise that keeps us going.
Till next time... Be well.
Ara & Spirit

looks like good stuff. be safe.

We try.... Thanks...

783859865_KRpuG-L.jpg

A ride through the Ghost Town of Shafter. TX

It all started with a such different thought. Camping at the Hot Springs in Chinati, but we end up riding the paved loop through Marfa, down to Presidio and back to Terlingua on River Road, one of my favorite. A tire needing changing wanting to keep off too many miles of rocky terrains, much on my mind filled with thoughts, thoughts written into my Journal yesterday, we yet have to make it to those Hot Springs. Shafter, the Old Ghost Town was the highlight, besides a couple slices of the great ÔÇ£white pizzaÔÇØ from the ÔÇ£Pizza ConnectionÔÇØ in Marfa.
Not many changes in Shafter, of course not, the changes happened years ago. Much information is on the Internet, one site even has some good old Texas Music. There is always however something new to see and experience, some new photos, old is always as new everytime if and when we return to a past space.
It is going to be one more round trip to Midland this week, the last one. Finally. Then on to another Dentist in Valentine. It is that time to get reorganized. It is as always that trigger happy time on the horizon that will see us leave for new destinations, and as usual missing ÔÇ£The OasisÔÇØ as soon as we leave. I yet have to figure that one out.
Not much else is new, a couple nice days and now bracing ourselves again for more cold temperatures, they are even talking about some snow. It has been the coldest and rainiest winter here in 25 years the local Ranchers are saying. Sure builds up some character and yet, we have nothing to complain about when I look at the Northern weather maps!
Be well... always.
Ara & Spirit

785640661_QVmDG-L.jpg

Just another back road... TX

With much preparation for the upcoming months, the too short good weather window opportunities, we play much in our own backyard. Private roads, yes, but also for us much freedom to roam around and also for Spirit to run around without the many Laws and Bylaws of the Park near by. A great day, a few clouds, sunshine intermittent, another opportunity to explore and find out how much the landscape has changed since the last big rain. I was even a witness to another Friend visiting and herself falling in love with the area, looking to purchase some land very soon, however warned about the peripherals being costly even if the land itself is not. Power, water, telephone and Internet connection, a dwelling... Some look, some look even more and most never return engulfed back by the past City Life considering also the distance needed to arrive here. I often joke that we are here at ÔÇ£the end of the WorldÔÇØ. A bit true. I am glad we ourselves can call it our ÔÇ£true backyardÔÇØ.
The usual is coming up. It starting to feel as a routine. One more round trip to Midland tomorrow, some more work on ÔÇ£Old FaithfulÔÇØ changing again her tires, one more layer of JB Weld covering the hole from a rock on the front engine cover. Some new bungees holding the great saddlebag system, and on and on for the hopefully trouble free coming months of more riding.
Enjoy our backyard...
Be well, always.
Ara & Spirit

788225005_zZMkf-L.jpg

Balmorhea.TX

This was the closest we where going to get near a massive body of water yesterday. A little over 100 miles from here, through Alpine and passed Ft Davis, the ÔÇ£San Solomon SpringÔÇØ was a nice welcome in conjunction with the great weather we are having here. ÔÇ£Old faithfulÔÇØ has been all fixed up even if throughout the day decided to go blink on all tail lights, Spirit, well, as usual in great ÔÇ£spiritsÔÇØ, myself more than eager to ride, get that helmet on, turn on the music as I am getting use to this novelty on long stretches.
Many numbers go along with the huge pool of water, the one I cannot get use to is the flow of 23 to 28 millions of gallons per day when we ourselves use maybe a bit over a couple hundred gallons per month. If only some could be diverted here.
I was also surprised at the lack of anyone around besides a few divers taking classes for their certification. The area is desolate. All will change soon due to Spring Break, in the meantime I feel as this is the best days so far to enjoy it all. Not much else really going on, getting some vague plans firmed up for the summer... Does not make senses, does it?
Enjoy the Pool...
Be well...
Always.
Ara & Spirit

Great pics! Are you going on a ride this spring away from your local area? I wish I were down your way now as the weather has been, and continues to be very challenging here in the hinterlands! Perhaps I should move to Alpine next winter? Hmmmmm. Could be a plan. The "end of the world" could be for me! Take care.
JD

Great pics! Are you going on a ride this spring away from your local area? I wish I were down your way now as the weather has been, and continues to be very challenging here in the hinterlands! Perhaps I should move to Alpine next winter? Hmmmmm. Could be a plan. The "end of the world" could be for me! Take care.
JD

Alpine is a very cool little Town. Named one of the best 10 cities to live in the USA not too long ago... You should. A bit colder than here though in the winter, not that it has been warm here either!

790717330_EGSBA-L.jpg

ÔÇ£Living the Dream?ÔÇØ.TX

I am so aware of Spirit and I living the Dream of many, having been on the road now for over 3 years, however a bit stagnant throughout this winter season. The weather has not cooperated very much, daylight is now on the horizons as I am making preparations. Maybe go East a bit to Louisiana taking a Texas southern route. That is in between Dentist appointments. Being on the road was never foreign to me as it was for Spirit who has become a real trooper traveling with much ease and contentment. Of course we enjoy the Journey, Mother Nature's facets always present, the new Friends we have made, it is the reason of the Journey I wish would have been different as it was never a Dream for me to travel as such, as the only outlet I could contemplate after Lance's departure. ÔÇ£Bitter~SweetÔÇØ is always the words within my thoughts as I live both sides of the coin trying to juggle, yes, that ÔÇ£DreamÔÇØ and the emotions which goes along, emotions from both end of the spectrum. We are moving right along...
We took a ride to Terlingua again, it is the nearest store when we run out of this or that, it It also always a pleasure to sit with new Friends and have great conversations about their own very interesting pasts.
So are my thoughts these past days...Be well, Ara & Spirit

Back