• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

"The Oasis of my Soul"... a Lifelong Journey...

i-GjQt8Hs-L.jpg

Overwhelmed. ÔÇ£Old FaithfulÔÇØ rides on... AZ

All this happened too fast almost. The breakdown, 2 days to get to Tucson on a trailer, an outpouring wave of help and suddenly as fast seemingly as it happened ÔÇ£Old FaithfulÔÇØ is back on the road. ÔÇ£Iron HorseÔÇØ in Tucson overwhelmed me, their handle on the situation has been exceptional. What a sweet sight it has been of ÔÇ£Old FaithfulÔÇØ in my Friend's garage while she is being ÔÇ£harnessedÔÇØ again ready to take off Thursday morning. Boulder/Escalante in Utah... we have been trying to get there for it seems weeks now! The biopsy, the breakdown, this time it is a green light toward the weeks ahead rekindling our relationship with Mother Nature. So many have come forward as I sit here thanking everyone individually. It might take some time but it will get done.
Tucson has been hot, hot for us, and the only ÔÇ£driveÔÇØ was up one morning very early, Father's Day, up Arivaca Road which is also the road many locals ride. It was too early for any other vehicle, I needed some time alone to reminisce on my past times with Lance while the Sunrise, a beautiful one, was taking place on this Day always filled with the past memories. What a week it has been.
Finally up is part III video of our Valley of the Gods ride and the sunrise photos...
ÔÇ£Thank youÔÇØ all that have come forward, those two words will never be enough.

Be safe and well.
Peace, Love and Courage.

Ara & Spirit

Great to hear the bike is fixed! I was getting worried... ;)

I was too!!! Thanks... See below!

i-nC4HtM4-L.jpg

Could you vote for us in this photo contest which we are a semi-finalist to be chosen as a "theme" for an upcoming Ron Howard Movie? 2 days left...
There are 29 photos left in the contest. Here are the instructions (they could have made it easier!). Don't try any other way...
Open the link and click on "Enter Gallery" on the top left. Scroll with the "right top arrow" the film strip and you will find our photo, one click will do. Our photo will come up as a thumbnail, click on the photo, the photo will come up and you can vote for us... please...
Here is the link
http://www.youtube.com/ImaginationTHANK YOU....

Ara & Spirit

i-9wxKrGC-L.jpg

Two hundred miles of thinking! AZ [video]

We finally escaped the Tucson furnace! Unbelievable heat slapping us daily, making us only finding refuge indoor within air conditioned so unnatural spaces, heat-cold, cold-heat and on and on taking a toll coupled with all the past emotions the major breakdown. Yet, we are now rolling again toward the Northern spaces, cooler temps and at the same time trying to catch up ÔÇ£thankingÔÇØ everyone when so unselfishly the hands came forward to rescue us. At the same time one of my photos, again ÔÇ£thanksÔÇØ to much public voting, and ÔÇ£thank youÔÇØ again, made it's way to the finals. There were so many stages with 59,000 photos submitted that I am just calling this the ÔÇ£finalsÔÇØ awaiting the ÔÇ£final~finalÔÇØ as the last step is in the hands of Ron Howard and his daughter as a theme for an upcoming Movie, or in their mind that is. That result will be up in a few weeks.

ÔÇ£Congratulations! Your photo My Buddy Spirit and I has been selected as one of ten (10) Project Imagin8ion Contest finalists in the Relationship Theme. Ron Howard will select one (1) photo from the ten (10) finalists in each movie theme category that inspires him most and will be woven into his next film. As a reminder, the Grand Prize winners will receive a trip to New York City to attend the film premiere later this year.
Even if you are not selected as the Grand Prize winner, you will still be a first prize winner.ÔÇØ
Back, once again (!!!) in Show Low today we will be taking off for Utah this afternoon. The third time is a charm they say. We try. We will be going up Mokey Dugway again and most likely camp on Muley Point, the same as the video I just posted on the Journal!
Be safe and well.
Peace, Love and Courage.

Ara & Spirit

i-ZJDqMhB-L.jpg

Imprisoned in my Freedom. Escalante. UT

The weather! HOT. Too hot for Spirit, a bit too much for me, sadly enough as we have just arrived in this area we will leave tomorrow morning, stop in Salt Lake City for a rear tire and make a B line for ÔÇ£GlacierÔÇØ. It is unlike us to do so, but late moving on North Mother Nature is being a bit rough on us. Daytime is a furnace, it leaves a bit of early morning and evening maybe cooling off barely before Sunset. That is just how it goes these days. No complains though, we are mobile again and one more time ÔÇ£Thank YouÔÇØ for all that have rescued us, as there is no other word for it. I am still trying to ÔÇ£ThankÔÇØ everyone individually, I will get there eventually as all is always only a matter of time. Riding again brings on many thoughts. The word ÔÇ£FreedomÔÇØ has been bouncing around and around as today turning 63 (and Spirit ÔÇ£7ÔÇØ) I am realizing that there can never be a turning around, it is too late to go back ever to a Life which is not what it is today even if so at times like the present, Mother Nature forces us to move on from a space I so much love being. More on the Journal just posted...Be safe and well.
Peace, Love and Courage.

Ara & Spirit

i-wbJkPdj-L.jpg

Up to the Tetons, WY

We are now 20 miles away from Cody, east of it, still ÔÇ£out thereÔÇØ and yet Internet, phone connection, power, water, all is now available. No Bears and Mosquitoes! We spend a few days without it all as we do quite often, a primitive campsite off Grassy Lake Road, by ÔÇ£Flag RanchÔÇØ in the Tetons, the switch is always a shock to the mind. The more time we spend ÔÇ£off gridÔÇØ the harder it is to face this screen and yet, I enjoy it, I enjoy sharing the path we have taken, the photos trying to convey a certain sense of another reality we have embraced. This was the first we explored the ÔÇ£TetonsÔÇØ and what magnificent space it is with it's snow covered peaks, more snow this year than ever, the ÔÇ£Snake RiverÔÇØ near by within a few feet (reason for the Mosquitoes!) playing it's constant melody so soothing inducing a good night sleep as never before. It was a slice of Paradise as now we we look for another one, and another one! ÔÇ£Bear's Tooth PassÔÇØ. We have been here before, it is on our way north to the Glacier and hopefully a bit of Canada as long as we can handle the logistics. A few favorite photos now on the Journal have made their way... this technology does not cease to amaze me...
Till next time...

Be safe and well.
Peace, Love and Courage.

Ara & Spirit

i-p4bnffD-L.jpg

Camping with ÔÇ£The Adventure TrioÔÇØ, WY

It does not happen often for us to camp with others. No one has the time or takes it, more important generally is more the emphasis on the distance covered leaving on the wayside the quality of the ÔÇ£momentsÔÇØ, fast forward is the blur of the road with only the fact which can then indeed be pronounced ÔÇ£ we have been here and there...ÔÇØ. ÔÇ£SandyÔÇØ, ÔÇ£TerryÔÇØ and their soon to be 10 year old ÔÇ£JackÔÇØ are on a different tangent smelling and feeling the road, and yes, they also put on the miles, they know how to balance it all with their outgoing message ÔÇ£you can also do it...ÔÇØ. It was a good time, a very good time cooking, chatting, exchanging the road stories as many they always are. A couple dinners, a ride nearing the Grand Tetons, shopping for provisions, a bit of fishing for Jack (never caught anything as my frying pan was ready!), a bit more of guitar playing, our own incredible display of lightning and thunder on the Fourth of July and plenty of Photos... all on the Journal for now, looking for a better connection to upload a video I took while riding behind them. So long my ÔÇ£FriendsÔÇØ, soon again I hope...

Be safe and well.
Peace, Love and Courage.

Ara & Spirit

i-4dk9hq7-L.jpg

ÔÇ£Logging Creek, MT and ÔÇ£Footprints from WyomingÔÇØ

So last week for some rare moments my true anger rose to the surface as invited to a campground, Spirit gets attacked by a dog, owner who had been warned, owners, a couple working on the premises, both ÔÇ£alcoholicsÔÇØ, a pathetic path of Life they are on. Turns out the owner of the campground also is. Amazing how these people congregates. Even more amazing is how I fell into that unpleasant situation. Spirit is fine, saved by my foot and his leash. It was a close call. That is where the title ÔÇ£Footprints from WyomingÔÇØ came from. It was a dark time. We then moved on quickly to the ÔÇ£Logging CreekÔÇØ Campground, our last entry, found by my nose, an isolated primitive campground off #89 before ÔÇ£Great FallsÔÇØ, MT, this after some incredible riding through ÔÇ£Lewis and ClarkÔÇØ Forest. I actually think we saw them, they are everywhere from East to West, from Washington and Oregon to even California I think. The gravel roads where exceptionally well taken care off showing a network of them on the map, firewood was plentiful, water from a creek, white tail deer visiting the site, not bear visits... It has been the other side of the coin, peaceful days with only a few storms here and there in the late afternoons.

Be safe and well.
Peace, Love and Courage.

Ara & Spirit

Shocked to hear about what happened to Spirit. I never met the both of you, but I really love that dog! He's the master of the sidecar, leaning in the corners like a pro. Once in a while he glances to his buddy on the bike to see if he's still there...you make a great couple! You're an inspiration to many of us.

Shocked to hear about what happened to Spirit. I never met the both of you, but I really love that dog! He's the master of the sidecar, leaning in the corners like a pro. Once in a while he glances to his buddy on the bike to see if he's still there...you make a great couple! You're an inspiration to many of us.

Thank you Mike... It takes all kinds to make this World go around, sometimes backwards!

i-9CTJnNm-L.jpg

ÔÇ£Logan's PassÔÇØ, Glacier National Park, MT

I realize our Journal is chronologically off as connections on the road are not quite often readily available and for more reason, as I write this, we have already left the ÔÇ£GlacierÔÇØ sitting for a couple of days in Lander, WY. I have been feeling defeated by the swarms of mosquitoes taking away any sense of being there, campsite that is, within the moments, instead fighting off the waves of those annoying creatures, spraying clothing with 100% Deet and watching Spirit himself while covered with Eucalytus-Lemon spray being attacked to no end. Many have come forward with other possible solutions, nothing, meaning ÔÇ£nothingÔÇØ has worked. The bottom line? Move on for now. On the other side of the coin it was one of the best rides ever from East Glacier to Lander. Back roads to no end, a good tail wind, even the ride through Yellowstone and Tetons on a Sunday afternoon was of a fast pace without too many cars stopping in the middle of their lanes to watch and photograph a squirrel go by. Where from here? With the constant thought of staying cool, Colorado sounds like an attractive space for a while, higher elevations, and who knows, maybe the mosquitoes will be of the old breed... a bit tamer.
Enjoy the photos and a video through Logan's Pass. The lower part playing this time.

Be safe and well.
Peace, Love and Courage.

Ara & Spirit

i-LXWhsG6-L.jpg

Jane's smile. Heartfelt. AZ

The miles are running away as we dropped in the heat of July into Tucson for some matters I have to attend. No escape from this and already from a couple days in this urban space I am kicking the ground to get back up North in a few days, by the end of this coming week. The ride was uncommonly for us fast paced, we managed to stay at higher elevation and good fortune was with us even going through Moab with cooler temperatures. Amazing. I personally do not find any feat into running up the numbers on ÔÇ£Old FaithfulÔÇØ, I understand long distance riding is a flavor, it is a flavor we had to a bit taste while 1400 miles went by in three days. It was however a true feat and almost inexplicable feelings when I read on the way, on the first day while resting on the side of the road an e mail send to us (as Spirit is always included) which started as such...
ÔÇ£Ara
I love your website, pictures and Spirit. I too [as Lance did] have terminal cancer and when I am down, all I do is pull up your website. IÔÇÖm sure Lance was thinking of you as I am of my children and try to encourage them to do all things right and true and keep the Lord in your day...ÔÇØ
Her name is ÔÇ£JaneÔÇØ and she rode with us for the rest of the way with thoughts ambushing each other with no avail of rest, the impact turned the path upside down as here I was mildly putting it, a bit ÔÇ£unhappyÔÇØ about our new course, how quickly I felt one can loose it's priorities when voicing such non important aspects of Life. The Journey, the writing, the photos, Spirit, Old Faithful, all the components seemed to have blossomed into others path and so well worth it if even it was to procure one smile, ÔÇ£Jane's smileÔÇØ.
Be safe and well.
Peace, Love and Courage.

Ara & Spirit

i-D9RWZjL-L.jpg

My ÔÇ£MistressÔÇØ, the Road. AZ

Realizations do not take up much time in this element of Life, consciousness does, the inner battle often not wanting fully to realize the deeply rooted presence of an aspect one cannot anymore escape. We are for another day in Tucson, I could not avoid having to come back for some personal matters needing prompt attention, and within this go around here, there is now not an ounce of doubt, a full understanding that we will never be again filled with the ability to remotely survive while the call of the road is left behind. I have surrendered without a battle to such concept as amazing as it could be, seeing a constant horizon ahead with no end in sight, no gates and no doors and no locks as all a free passage even if so the stage is of a universal one, those are the components for a forward momentum too late to now stop. It is as a daily taste which has turned into a must, a need I could say as these days present again are as my breathing is curtailed from the lack of my own personal Life support. We dropped 1400 miles in about 3 days. We managed to stay at higher elevation and Karma took care of us in lower elevations throughout an unusual cool day even going through Moab, Bluff, the lower plains. It was a great ride with the winds carrying us on.

Be safe and well.
Peace, Love and Courage.

Ara & Spirit

i-sDqwDcT-L.jpg

I can think, on Muley Point. UT

Colorado bound, yet cool weather, quick thinking at the last chance, the last intersection I could make a left instead of a right and Muley Point, Utah, it was. A few cars at the first look out, no one at the last one, the one I call ÔÇ£The Point of the PointÔÇØ. What a gift it has been, great temperatures, a nice wind blowing away, almost cold throughout the night and a few photos, Sunset, Sunrise, a new painting for every moment passed. It was a need more than anything else after a few days in Tucson and the heat almost intolerable. We ÔÇ£areÔÇØ headed toward Colorado, the high altitudes, the passes we can ride, a space we can find where we will settle for a while. We have been moving around too much, there is balance I feel we have lost and the necessary steps are ahead to regain it. To start with the ability to think, as Muley Point has allowed me to do so. The hottest month of the year it is, it is for us the only solution to maintain composure on this path we are on, up and up. Enjoy the photos...
Be safe and well.
Peace, Love and Courage.

Ara & Spirit

i-GWmfwzJ-L.jpg

Beaver Lake, Co.

A picture perfect space and weather and all. Colorado in the summer at higher altitudes is a gem, almost cold at night! As always ÔÇ£NatureÔÇØ brings on much thoughts unlike this one time World Traveler who told me not to ask myself any questions about Life as it would bring answers and so, more questions. He shall remain nameless. All in such space is in such parallel of mind and body, present times and past memories, some future thoughts, nights and days as all passes on at it's designated speed one moment at the time. We are back in Ouray for one night and back on the road in the morning toward Crested Butte as being there a couple years ago without a chance to really explore it's own spaces. I remember snow throughout those days which I am sure will be melted this month. Spirit as always is having the time of his Life, abundant smells and the cool weather always suit him best. All is well... going down the chosen and sometimes unplanned roads, thinking some and not thinking some but always lots of photos!
Be safe and well.
Peace, Love and Courage.

Ara & Spirit

i-2FM3wmH-L.jpg

Crested Butte, Lost Lake... more... Co.

The depth of the spaces present have deepened, magic it has been and like floating on those cottonball clouds we witness daily, we are emerging from the bowels of this Journey, time escaping unavailing me to come here and check with my good Friends of this Forum their own ongoing summer. There seem to be always the occasion to post an entry into the Journal as all is written on my phone off line and my photos are moved on also off line with now the help of portable solar power. A couple entries later, here we are again on this pages while physically in and around Lake City, San Cristobal Lake, reminiscing about those past entries when camped at Lost Lake and also visiting more than once Crested Butte, CO. We have been to Colorado before! Why is it only now the repercussions of it's space conductive to my seeking have come forward? Maybe we were not looking deep enough, maybe we were not ready. So many roads, so many dirt roads, lakes, little towns each with their own charm, so much more... and so many photos.
Be safe and well.
Peace, Love and Courage.

Ara & Spirit

i-CdgFNnn-L.jpg

Lake City, Lake San Cristobal, CO.

There is as a medical condition while being on the road, a ÔÇ£maladyÔÇØ I call it. The path of the mind becomes wide open emptying itself from the mundane traffic jams, the imperceptible fills up it's space, the detailed lightly brushed surroundings suddenly become the deepening aspect of what one notices. What I notice anyhow... It is as a different Life takes effect, different values, colors and even smells unlike a path I cannot even remember from the past even if so exposed to it at times while running through towns and cities when such becomes a must.
Amongst all the towns we have gone through, Lake City has taken a forefront seat. So has Lake San Cristobal where we had the good fortune camping high up perched on the cliffs about maybe at the most 15 feet away from the ledge. From the Lake toward Creede and South Fork, all in between, dozens of unpaved roads await each with their own silhouettes of a mountain set as always incredible backgrounds.
It is endless truly, so endless that I think next summer such roads will be seeing us for a few months enticed also by the permanent cool weather present.
The photos for sure have been fun to take...
Be safe and well.
Peace, Love and Courage.

Ara & Spirit

i-TkNMLLK-L.jpg

We are here and there... NM, CO.

Moving on fast lately. From Colorado to a few ÔÇ£HOTÔÇØ days at ÔÇ£The OasisÔÇØ, back in Tucson and at the present time nearing San Luis Obispo for a few days. Will be dropping to San Diego next week for a few needed nights and finally on back to Texas... I think! The imprints are of many, they are now marked on the map for some return visits when the times will be more leisurely as I will announce soon the reason for all this traveling, which I do not call ÔÇ£living on the roadÔÇØ. Such an incredible diversity this Country offers I realize when such occasion makes us go the miles with a pace we are truly not use to. Yet as I have given us plenty of a head start the days do linger and the many miles in big numbers are not needed. Texas was of an oven turned up on convection, it was one of those rare and actually unique time for us to be there. Like a hammer it dropped on our heads but we made it as we will the rest of this route. We will see the Ocean today, the Beaches, always a soothing time and hopefully some cooler weather.
Los Cruces was a nice stop for us with our Friends. Jake took the time to take us to his favorite own personal space, some desolate BLM Land not too far.
Enjoy the photos... keep checking the new entries, sometimes the connection are rare and my visits to this Forum becomes difficult.

Be safe and well.
Peace, Love and Courage.

Ara & Spirit

i-bBvHg77-L.jpg

Rocks, Wind and Water... CA

We sure have been moving around a lot lately. October will see us back at ÔÇ£The OasisÔÇØ, the weather should be by then cool enough to catch up on projects lingering now for years such as the Book, organizing our Smugmug Gallery and officially opening the ÔÇ£one-pan recipeÔÇØ e-store maybe even mixed in with some cooking and camping gear well tried and proven to excel over these past years. In the meantime it was San Luis Obispo avoiding Los Angeles, Pismo Beach with a few nights sleeping right on the sand and listening and feeling the magic of the Ocean, now in Davis visiting our Friends before we head South to San Diego for the last leg of this logistical approach of a sponsorship which will be unveiled by the end of this month. An aspect which will facilitate our Journey... We stopped at ÔÇ£Joshua Tree National ParkÔÇØ for more magic under deep gray skies, a bit of rain, all good enough to cool us down and freeze some of the silhouettes present with the camera. Peaceful times, moving right along one day at the time.
Enjoy the photos and all...
Be safe and well.
Peace, Love and Courage.

Ara & Spirit

Back