• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Battery charging an RT

J

Jfixit

The 2003 R1150RT comes with two accessory outlets on the left side of the bike, does it matter which outlet I use when charging the battery with a battery tender fitted with the BMW accessory plug?

Not electrically

It should make no difference electrically. So use the outlet that is most convenient.

They are tied together, however something I have had a problem with on my 02 is the fuse popping. So you may want to make sure it is working. I believe they changed the fuse to be bigger than 4A on 03 and forward, but never hurts to check.

About fuse popping

It is all to easy to ground that metal tip. So I always plug in the jack to the plug and then plug in the Battery Tender.

PAULBACH said:
It is all to easy to ground that metal tip. So I always plug in the jack to the plug and then plug in the Battery Tender.

That's a good idea, but the Battery Tender requires sensing 3 volts when attached to the battery to turn on the smart chip inside. In other words, it won't spark if you ground the plus out of it to the minus when it's plugged into the wall.

Well Designed

That is good to know. I always tried to err on the side of caution. I hope other charging units are as well designed as the Battery Tender.

:wave

Back