Thread: Standing on the pegs

Standing on the pegs

Every now and then I'll stand up, at low speed, on the footpegs. Usually it's to let my pants legs down after they've gathered up a bit. Although I'm careful when I do this I've wondered if the pegs could ever break under the weight. Certainly when my 1200RT is on the center stand my usual way of mounting the bike is to stand on the pegs momentarily. Anybody ever snap off a peg by standing on them?

I've been doing this pretty much forever - I frequently do it if I see something like railroad tracks with some good bumps coming up - it offloads the weight on the suspension a bit and lowers the center of gravity of the bike. Learned to do this when I did all dirt bike riding - you rarely got any real "seat" time, most riding was done up on the pegs.

I've never heard of anyone breaking BMW's pegs off doing this - I'd suspect the engineers did consider this use and the growing girth of the average BMW rider when designing them.

So - forgeddaboutit.. not to worry.
    Don Eilenberger http://www.eilenberger.net
    Spring Lk Heights NJ NJ Shore BMW Riders
    '12 R1200R - I love this bike!

25-MPH NEXT 1OO MILES PacWestGS's Avatar

I'd say -

it would bend before it would break.

Unless you weigh more than 300lbs and really bottomed the bike out hard against the ground I can't think of them just snapping off.

The passenger pegs aren't as robust though on many motorcycles. (although I stand up on mine without problem).

I ride GSs and they have been "Me" proof so far.

HTH (I stand often)

Doc
    Russ
    "If you took the time to really get to know me...you'd be wasting your time, because I'm exactly who you think I am"

(Life comes at you pretty fast "Pay it Forward" - Have no regrets when the end happens)

twinzrule
    The peg are intended to be used to stand on. No way whatsoever will you snap the pegs standing on them. Bending is not likely either, but as the sfdoc said, they'd bend before they would break.
    If the bike has gone down on its side however, the footpeg may be compromised in some way and eventually break. That is stuff that needs to be checked out after a get-off that many don't think about.

Quote Originally Posted by 112124
    Every now and then I'll stand up, at low speed, on the footpegs. Anybody ever snap off a peg by standing on them?
    Don't worry about it . . . .unless you weigh three or four hundred pounds.

BUBBAZANETTI
    i dropped the bike rolling back out of the garage this summer (it's a little ramp up to get in). it was one of those drops where i stayed straddled over the bike then just muscled it back up. i noticed when i went to put my right foot on the peg after leaving that it was gone. snapped off from the weight of the bike falling on it just right and not folding it back.

i wouldn't worry about standing on them, i sometimes will stand up for 5 or 10 minutes on ironbutt rides, although after i snapped that peg off i was leary to do it for a while.

username is currently testing the broken peg.

HODAG
    I don't worry about it

screwtop
    I stand on mine quite a bit on the GS. Course I only weigh a buck 65, but as was stated earlier, it's usually to relieve bunched up pants or to allow for easier emissions.

Full timr RV'er, where we park is home. No fixed address or location.
    I'm over 230 lbs and stand on my pegs frequently especially when going over some rough spots on the road. No problems in over 34 years of riding and on 3 different brands of motorcycles.
    DEFINITION OF A VETERAN A Veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard or reserve - is someone who, at one point in their life, wrote a check made payable to "The United States of America", for an amount of "up to and including my life."
    Author Unknown

Well guys, a word of warning here. I dropped my bike in the garage onto its right side. No problem, I have cylinder head protectors and the bike wasn't messed up. I climed up on it, from the left side of course and started it and moved it to the driveway where I got off and put it on its center stand and went inside to get something I had forgotten. Came back out and mounted from the left, then stood up on the pegs to tug my pants legs down. OOOOOOOhhhh ****... The right side peg broke off, actually the footpeg plate which appears to be cast metal, broke off and the footpeg separated. If I had not stood up to tug down my pants, this might well have happened when I was driving. You know, you're going over a big bump so you put weight on the pegs and off your ass for a minute. I still shiver when I think of the consequences. Soooo, for me anytime I drop my bike, I am going to centerstand it and get up on those pegs and try some weight on them. May try jumping up and down on them. This was scarey.

25-MPH NEXT 1OO MILES PacWestGS's Avatar
    They are made to support a lot of weight, they are made to rotate one direction and not the other. They don't take to having four-five-six hundred pounds of motorcycle landing on them backwards.

Always inspect everything from lights, pegs, to handlebar controls after a simple tip-over.

Ride Safe, Ride for Fun.

Doc
    Russ
    "If you took the time to really get to know me...you'd be wasting your time, because I'm exactly who you think I am"

(Life comes at you pretty fast "Pay it Forward" - Have no regrets when the end happens)

ALLANCOOK
    I'm forever standing on mine: Over railroad tracks, over the countless rough, washboard roads, dips, bumps, etc., around town, in gravel and also on the highway to stretch my legs on longer rides. I make sure I've planted my boots on the pegs before standing up, but I've never worried about breaking them. Sometimes I feel more like a jockey on a thoroughbred than a cyclist on a Beemer. On the other hand, I guess there's not that much difference.