• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

bike to bike radios

toddthom

Not sure if this is the right forum to post this question, sorry if it's wrong. I'm looking for opinions on B to B radios. Any one care to elaborate on the subject.. I looking for opinions on brands , ease of set up, ease of use, quality, weather / water proofing and most importantly duration on recharable or AA batteries these radios seem to use.

Are you dead set on a battery powered radio, or are you open to something like a CB setup?

Several manufacturers offer nice rigs that will open up the communications options in various ways.

I don't use bike-to-bike radios any more. When I did it was the 47 mhz type that used the same channels as baby monitors and old cordless phones. That was kinda funny when riding thru towns. Now you need to decide. Do you wanna communicate with evertone, truckers, travellers, kids, etc. Or do you just wanna talk to other guys in your group. If I was going to keep it in the group I would check out FRS style radios.

MarkF

I had a "Chatterbox" FRS radio (made by HJC)... the model runs about $175 per unit, vox-activated 2 channel setup. It worked fine under 50 or 60 mph, the wind noise made it useless above 65. They are NOT waterproof.

I haven't even used mine in about 2 years, but next time I will spend more for something better. I have heard a lot of good about Autocomm but have no personal experience with it.

Chatterbox makes junk. If you want cheap and unreliable, buy chatterbox. You will have to spend a lot more for other equipment, but you get what you pay for.

Take a look at the Nady MRC-11. It's inexpensive and works well for bike to bike as well as rider to passenger. The VOX doesn't work well at anything over 40 mph but otherwise, no regrets. It's no Autocom but for the money, it has nothing to apologize for. I've had mine for over a year with no problems.

Radio Shack makes a "Throat Mic" headset for the GMRS/FMS radios, they claim it's waterproof and comes with a remote PTT switch. I just made a trip with the wife in the cage and the radios were a significant improvement to the six hour trip. I'll be looking into the thoat mic for my next trip because the headset I used gave me trouble on the way down but was fine after some tinkering on the way back. They really help when you get seperated in traffic.

What's wrong with a CB? Not only is it useful for communicating with similarly equipped bikes, you can also communicate with truckers, who know where the traffic jams, speed traps, etc. are.

I've been saved much money and trouble by being able to communicate with someone other than other bikers, especially truckers. They are a wealth of information.

BTW, my CB is usually hooked up to an autocom system -- a bit pricey but worth every penny.

New Radio

Just saw a new radio in Rider mag. The whole thing mounts on the left handlebar. It has a PTT switch, uses CB channels, has rider to passenger intercom and allows input from walkman radio, cellphone, etc. I have no idea how much it costs.

MarkF

Tina and I are pretty much the same way. We've got a good set of hand signals that work for pretty much everything.

:dunno

Back