• Welcome Guest! If you are already a member of the BMW MOA, please log in to the forum in the upper right hand corner of this page. Check "Remember Me?" if you wish to stay logged in.

We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMWMOA forum provides. Why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the club magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMWMOA offers?

Want to read the MOA monthly magazine for free? Take a 3-month test ride of the magazine; check here for details.

• NOTE. Some content will be hidden from you. If you want to view all content, you must register for the forum if you are not a member, or if a member, you must be logged in.

ON looking for tech articles

MANDYPANTS

Know a lot about Oilhead tech?
Plan on wrenching this winter?
Enjoy writing?

The Owners News is looking for technically proficient people who know how to wrench to share their knowledge. If you are interested in writing one or more technical articles and explaining anything from simple maintenance to complex repairs, please e-mail mandy@bmwmoa.org. Please be prepared to submit photos of your project, and captions explaining what is in the pictures.

Are you looking for a guru to write somthing every month, like Matt's 'keep em flyin', or will this be a monthly section that changes authors on a regular basis.

I am not interested as I have a lot to learn about wrenching, though it is a great hoby.

Hope you find someone soon!

non wrenchers guide ...

might be just as useful to us no wrenchie types to have an overview of maintaining a bike, especially on trips. tips to keeping your buggy running when far afield is always useful

mandypants said:
Enjoy writing?

The Owners News is looking for technically proficient people who know how to wrench to share their knowledge. If you are interested in writing one or more technical articles and explaining anything from simple maintenance to complex repairs, please e-mail mandy@bmwmoa.org. Please be prepared to submit photos of your project, and captions explaining what is in the pictures.

I think this is a great idea! I always look forward to reading the articles by Paul Glaves and Matt Parkhouse, although often the work they describe is too daunting for me to tackle. Articles on basic DIY maintenance (TB synch, valve adjustment, accessory installs, etc.) would be appreciated by willing, yet somewhat challenged shade tree mechanics like me. Good luck with this project!

Hall of wisdom??

It would be great if all the collected/collective knowledge would be available in a "Hall of wisdom", like several other sites have.
I wrench on my bike and have learned a lot from those other sites. Being an MOA member I am somewhat surprised our club doesn't have that feature... yet. :lurk
I realize it takes up band-width but just to store an article should not be difficult. Just my 0.02 cts

I just posted several pictorials of various maintenance procedures.

I can supply the photos in High Resolution if you are interested.

Jim :brow

Tire change pictorial link: http://forums.bmwmoa.org/showthread.php?t=15338

Hexhead 24K service Pictorial link: http://forums.bmwmoa.org/showthread.php?t=15340

Ohlins shock install pictorial link: http://forums.bmwmoa.org/showthread.php?t=15341

Tire plugging pictorial link: http://forums.bmwmoa.org/showthread.php?t=15339

Hexhead final drive fluid change pictorial link: http://forums.bmwmoa.org/showthread.php?t=15342

Here are some links to make it easy to find them.

I have high resolution versions of all the pictures.

Pursuant to one of my questions in the Oilheads forum

Now if we could get some of the "IS" members to develop an index for these and other great contributions.... that could provide a membership incentive, member participation incentive or even a SURGE in BMW ownership. Why, we could start a movement.

But seriously, I am not an "IS" person but I"ve been a Tech of one kind or another for over 35 years and would be happy to volunteer to help in what ever capacity I might be qualified for. Perhaps sorting and cataloging once a database framework has been established or writing really really short tech blurbs like on wiring in Kisan tailblazers. I'm no BMW expert but have been finding my way around a wide variety of technical devices for many years and love all the one on one information exchange on this site. It would be great if we could find a way to save and organize it for future referance

Calling all database programmers!

If I may add this...

Articles and pictures are great.
But "hands on" is even better, especially for those of us who tech challenged, and somewhat anxious about working on a great piece of machinery.

Last year Randy Boris ("MANICMECHANIC")spent some time with me as we changed oil, adjusted valves, and balanced throttle bodies. I was a stranger in a strange land.

I would love to meet with seasoned people on a regular basis and learn by doing.
I even investigated local tech schools for small engine repair and electrical classes but to no avail.

This is not meant to be a thread hijack, just my 0.02.

Btw, Jim Von Baden, I love your posts with the pic's, and I look forward to meeting you at the National Rally.

When I was in college, I took a course called "Physics for Poets". It was an intro physics course for "non-physics" types. How about "Wrenching for Non-Wrenchers"?

Hi ultracyclist,

What you are decribing is something the AirHeads have been doing for years. It's called the "Tech Day". Checkout www.airheads.org for more info.

Basically you invite other riders over to your house for some wrenching and eating...it's great fun and you will learn allot from the "experts" who know their way around the "iron".

Articles and pictures are great.
But "hands on" is even better, especially for those of us who tech challenged, and somewhat anxious about working on a great piece of machinery.

Last year Randy Boris ("MANICMECHANIC")spent some time with me as we changed oil, adjusted valves, and balanced throttle bodies. I was a stranger in a strange land.

I would love to meet with seasoned people on a regular basis and learn by doing.
I even investigated local tech schools for small engine repair and electrical classes but to no avail.

This is not meant to be a thread hijack, just my 0.02.

Btw, Jim Von Baden, I love your posts with the pic's, and I look forward to meeting you at the National Rally.

When I was in college, I took a course called "Physics for Poets". It was an intro physics course for "non-physics" types. How about "Wrenching for Non-Wrenchers"?

We pretty much have monthly Tech Days in my club, and I am at nearly all of them. Many club members have learned to do all their own services.

Check out www.bmwbmw.org and click on the forums section, then go to Tech.

I am actually considering several different videos at the moment, but am waiting to ensure this one goes over well, and is helpful.

Thanks,

an r1100s, a joy on steriods

I recently purchased an Ebay bike and picked it up in kingman az, its a 2001 r1100s yellow and black, I bought this for my wife but after riding it 1200 miles home in the middle of a snow storm in march to Spokane i gradually fell in love with the handling and comfort, I left Las Vegas which i thought was on sterouids--What a Town gone off the scale in all areas of growth, on a Monday it was 70 deg got into winnamuca late at 7:15passed a stater at 95 he just let his lites flash as i slowed down, that was close later in the day it was snowing so hard I slowed down to 35 on the freway all i could do was not wreck my wifes new bike as i creeped i town, the semis followed me into the town offramp at 35 miles an hour that was so nice of them, within an hour there was 3inches of snow what a ride that was the bike never missed a beat or seemed like it was going to slide out from under me, i had my new BMW Gear on a New streetgaurd jacket,widder vest,satiago pants and bmw boots with heators, very toasty the next day i waited in my motel till 11:00, thats when the water started misting behind semis as I glance perodicly out my room window I new It was time to blow out of town,so i suited up got coffee and proceeded out of town like riding on a ice lake bed to Baker city in oregon, it was 28-32 degrees all day the wind blew so hard my helmet felt like it was coming off I rode between the snow in the trucker dually marks, the bike purred like a kitten on steriods it has a Remus street exhaust and sounds great, as i neared baker city I new i needed to pick up the pace at 90-105mph for the sun was going down and the snow on the corners all day was melting, into baker city where the corners were ramped and wet, I made it just as the sun went down the bike tracked straigt even over ice ,snow,pee gravel in the corners, the next day i rode home to spokane, I showed the bike to my wife she rode it and liked it but it seemed like to much bike for her so I bought her another bike a f650 2003 and she love it, she informed me tonight that I could have her r1100s becouse she likes her f650 so incredibly much, so here I am with two bikes a k1200lt anf this remarkable fun r1100s thats better than Las Vegas...matthew

Hey Mandy, I may have an article of interest for those Oilhead riders that like to tinker and modify their bikes. Its on this post:

http://forums.bmwmoa.org/showthread.php?t=19907

If you think it might have some article merit let me know. I have a bunch more pictures and can elaborate on the development and results.

Andy (Tuk-Tuk)

Some who rebuilt a R1100S, great photos

If this isn't a great overview of an engine rebuild, then I don't know what is. This includes the clutch and transmission. He balances the clutch plate, the pistons, piston rods, hones the cylinders, sand blasts with baking soda the heads. Check it out, it's worth the 5 minutes.

http://forums.pelicanparts.com/showthread.php?t=383565&highlight=winter+tuneup

If one of the writers for ON is interesting in doing an article, it may be worth riding up to the cape and interviewing this guy.

Enjoy writing?

Maybe speak to this Gentleman.
Much of this stuff translates to other oilheads.

~Jim

97 r1100r oil head air in brakes or bad master cylinder???

I bought my roadster new in 98 and have 51k on it changed brakes twice have abs and speed bleeders never had a problem till now. changed brake fluid and bled fronts no air but after now have to pump handle to stop and now no resisitance brake lever goes all the way to the stop?? Does this sound like air or bad master cylinder??? how to get air out???? Thanks in advance from Texas.

Back