• Welcome Guest! If you are already a member of the BMW MOA, please log in to the forum in the upper right hand corner of this page. Check "Remember Me?" if you wish to stay logged in.

We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMWMOA forum provides. Why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the club magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMWMOA offers?

Want to read the MOA monthly magazine for free? Take a 3-month test ride of the magazine; check here for details.

• NOTE. Some content will be hidden from you. If you want to view all content, you must register for the forum if you are not a member, or if a member, you must be logged in.

ON looking for tech articles

wrenching on a K bike

hyh,:scratch where do i start?:scratch
k75025.jpg

-------------------------------------------
84 CZ 350 (where all this started)
87 K75s (under construction)
05 Kawasaki Z750s
03 Yamaha R1

Hi,

This is Sinclair. I have 1985 k100rs, tried to replace some seals for water pump because of leaking. But I broken the drive shaft of oil/water pump. Should I just buy the shaft only or I have to get the whole pump assembly?

Please help,
Sinclair

Hi,

This is Sinclair. I have 1985 k100rs, tried to replace some seals for water pump because of leaking. But I broken the drive shaft of oil/water pump. Should I just buy the shaft only or I have to get the whole pump assembly?

Please help,
Sinclair
Hi Sinclair,

Just a hint - this would better have been posted as a new "thread" in the K bike section.

You are going to have to buy the entire pump. The shaft breaking (usually the nut holding on the impeller snaps off the threaded end of the shaft) makes it un-economic to repair.. You not only have to buy the shaft, but also a new impeller, and the new seals. By the time you get done - you're 90% of the way to a brand new pump, and your 24 year old one owes you nothing. Plus - most people screw up the new seals installing them the first time, so double the cost of the seals and you're over the price of a new one.

With the new one - you bolt it on, fill the system and GO.. it will reuse the front cover from your old pump, so don't toss that in the trash.

Thanks.
I posted my question a long time ago and could not find where I posted it. Found it today!!!! I fixed my water pump and went the rally in TN. Come back without any problems.

Thank you, everybody.

I'll make a comment here:

As a regular contributor for over ten years - the hardest part of writing my column is figuring out what to write about - what the topic should be.

So - if you have information you would like to see covered in Benchwrenching email me at paul.glaves@mindspring.com with your request. I might not get to it immediately but I will try. Some of your suggestions might not work because there are some topics I don't know enought about to do a reliable column. But ......

Hi Paul,

Could you do an article on replacing cam chain tensioner on the 2 valve K100's.

Breather tube replacement, K75

Know a lot about K-bike tech?
Plan on wrenching this winter?
Enjoy writing?

The Owners News is looking for technically proficient people who know how to wrench to share their knowledge. If you are interested in writing one or more technical articles and explaining anything from simple maintenance to complex repairs, please e-mail mandy@bmwmoa.org. Please be prepared to submit photos of your project, and captions explaining what is in the pictures.

How about YouTube videos? Here's one about replacing the crankcase breather tube on my K75:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-cKBW9QsKlI

Looking for old "KBMW Mostly Techincal Discussion of BMW K75 & K100 Motorcycles"

Hi guys. The title says it all. I renewing attention to my 1991 K75RT that I have owned for about 15 years. I remember a VERY informative site "KBMW Mostly Techincal Discussion of BMW K75 & K100 Motorcycles" However, the old link I have was to Yahoo, and it doesn't seem to exist. Has this site migrated somewhere, or is it gone?

Thanks -- Hank.

Hi guys. The title says it all. I renewing attention to my 1991 K75RT that I have owned for about 15 years. I remember a VERY informative site "KBMW Mostly Techincal Discussion of BMW K75 & K100 Motorcycles" However, the old link I have was to Yahoo, and it doesn't seem to exist. Has this site migrated somewhere, or is it gone?

Thanks -- Hank.

Welcome to the forum!
There is a tech section here-
https://forums.bmwmoa.org/forumdisplay.php?54-K-bikes-DIY-Tech-Library
We have some members with a lot of technical info as well.
Gary

Free downloads of all BMW manuals

Know a lot about K-bike tech?
Plan on wrenching this winter?
Enjoy writing?

The Owners News is looking for technically proficient people who know how to wrench to share their knowledge. If you are interested in writing one or more technical articles and explaining anything from simple maintenance to complex repairs, please e-mail mandy@bmwmoa.org. Please be prepared to submit photos of your project, and captions explaining what is in the pictures.

Not only are these manuals absolutely free ,there are manuals for every oither brand of bike.
https://www.carlsalter.com/motorcycle-manuals.asp

Back