• Welcome Guest! If you are already a member of the BMW MOA, please log in to the forum in the upper right hand corner of this page. Check "Remember Me?" if you wish to stay logged in.

We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMWMOA forum provides. Why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the club magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMWMOA offers?

Want to read the MOA monthly magazine for free? Take a 3-month test ride of the magazine; check here for details.

• NOTE. Some content will be hidden from you. If you want to view all content, you must register for the forum if you are not a member, or if a member, you must be logged in.

ON looking for tech articles

I , for one, would appreciate more articles, etc, on airheads. I believe that BMWON has moved beyond them for the most part. I know time moves on, but still so many still on the road..

I know this has been discussed thousands of times but here I go. My 1970/5 has run perfect for 8,000 miles since I bought it. Suddenly after a 40 mile 70 mph ride to get home before dark it started popping and wants to stall. I have to keep blipping the throttle and it just does not run or start smooth like it did. I'm not a mechanic, I usually do basic stuff, tires, oil, brakes, never internal engine or carb stuff. I have always carried extra points, plugs and condenser? Don't know why I could'nt change if I had to but is this where I should start? Or would the carbs be a better guess. One note about 2,000 miles ago a nice friend on a BMW replaced points for me along the road because the previous ones were installed wrong and pinched the wire and it burnt off and the bike just shut off. He used a cigarette box to gap the points and it ran as perfect as ever so I never bothered to have the gap reset? (Because I don't know how). Also the engine is an early 70's 900 not the original 600 complete motor not converted replaced and it was new so the engine only has about 8,000 on it and was built by Craig at Heritage BMW. The previous owner was a collector so the bike and mechanics are perfect. Help please or she's on a trailer and to BOB's.

Brett Endress
Altoona Pa

I have been a member of BMWMOA for less than two years. I joined when I got a 2003 R1150RS project tp offset my wintertime blues. It is done now and I am enjoying riding this fine bike. :thumb
Last Friday I stumbled across a low mileage 1975 R60/6 that has been sitting since the mid 80's. ;) It doesn't run (yet) but I am savoring the prospect of a new project. First step was to find a repair manual ($10 + ship on ebay).
I passed on my back issues to a friend who has an R100GS, because, at that time I had no use for the info. Now that I have an airhead project I need all the info that I can get. I would be happy to buy a compilation of airhead articles from the MOA if they could be made available. PLEASE!!!
I have decided to build a cafe style tank and seat for the bike and intend to write an article on the project (if you are interested). Thank you, Bert

Mandy says there is no index for MOA . If it's an Airhead index you seek try Oak with the Airheads Beemer Club.Airheads has back issues and reprints of Oaks' tech articles. The Chicago BMW club has publications pertaining to Oaks tech stuff as well.

Hey hey Doc!! Remember when we started that big stir in the BMW Moaners News about running tubeless tires on mags that came with tubes? I think it was about 93??

About five years ago I hit TWO dear. I wasn't going quite as fast as you were but I was still hauling the mail and it was still a big ordeal. If I heard right I think we had some similar injuries but that is another subject for another time!!!!

Moaners News has changed for the worst! I miss Douglass! He ALWAYS remembered my name and we would sometimes go years between seeing each other.

Bless Parkhouse's soul but he wrenches like a hippie. We need a real GEARHEAD that can ride as well as he wrenches AND doesn't read like a Washington press release.

Have you been in touch with Chris?? Isn't it great!! Are the HP2 R1200S's "special" rods longer?? I helped Chris put long rods in the Silver Bullet. It WORKED!!

Hmmm....

I , for one, would appreciate more articles, etc, on airheads. I believe that BMWON has moved beyond them for the most part. I know time moves on, but still so many still on the road..

agree. parkhouse is really it in the mag on airheads. what about a spotlight on individuals and their airhead or airheads that are still being ridden? Like the father and son rebuild article a while back from NM I believe. I would rather see that than a plug article for PIAA or 8 pages of possible xmas gifts.

Persuade Jack Riepe to purchase an airhead. I could read that guys writing all day.

By the way, those bikes are great looking Jon-Lars.

I would love to see articles about increasing the performance and handling of any of the airheads. (94 R100RT in particular) I would be willing to purchase back issues or reprints of ON if anyone has them. And I would be very pleased to see articles in the current ON issues for those of us who haven't been in the BMW family long enough to have seen the originals. In my short time as a BMW owner and lover I have sure seen a lot of airheads on the roads and at rallies. Who wouldn't like to have a R1000ss (got to get that ticket) but would never let the R100RT go.

I do remember some of the articals that Jim (Dr. curve) wrote about the push rod twins, I still have MOA magazines from the past I'll see if I can find some. You could probbably find more hot rod info in mags. like Cycle, Cycle World, Rider, Motorcyclist, etc from the 70's as thats when Reg Pedmore (RPM) Luftmiester, San Jose BMW, and others were doing the mods.

Ken G.

R75/5 Basket Case

I have a 72 R75/5 basket case in the basement. It truly came in boxes.

I'm about to learn a lot about it.

I'm willing to write it's stories and trials and errors. It won't be a restoration, it is going to be a cafe.

It's name: Project Thunder. :)

Since I just inherited a 76 R75/6 which has been sitting in a friends farm shed since 1987 (really), I would be VERY interested in that article from start to finish.

Please include lots, I repeat, LOTS of photo's. Also include explanations of what you did to overcome various problems you will incounter. :clap

We need a rear end 101. I've read lots on tranny's and engines. How about something on the butt of our beauty's!

HH :banghead

Rear Drive

We need a rear end 101. I've read lots on tranny's and engines. How about something on the butt of our beauty's!

HH :banghead

YES!

I have a rear drive ready for some TLC.

We (Colorado Airheads) are having a tech day April 20th down in Denver, Matt has said he will come and help with the rear drive, maybe he will post some photo's/instructions of the rebuild.

Oil Coolers Problems?

I would love to see an article on the Oil Coolers and any problems with the banjo bolts etc. I recently added an airhead to the mix and it has been my first experience with one with the oil cooler. Or if I missed this in an MOA mag would appreciate info on this.:type

Mike I have had two problems over the years.
Firstly on the forward facing 'banjo bolts' of the oil cooler with thermosta, I had a rock strike that cracked on of the forward facing bolts. Noticed back then cause I ran both temp & pressure gauges on that bike. Pressure started to fluctuate. It w.as a 90s with sidecar
Peened it straight with a 'gentle' hammer & got home & now carry a spare.
Today I run on that bike (a GS Dakar race copy) the non thermostat plate so the bolts are less exposed.

Also on my sidercar once had a actual cooler sort of fail, it expanded, got fatter etc . Binned it. Plus I run temp gauges on the 3 bikes with coolers.

Else all good. Just renewed one system with a Siebenrock kit as they supply better braided hoses.

Back