• Welcome Guest! If you are already a member of the BMW MOA, please log in to the forum in the upper right hand corner of this page. Check "Remember Me?" if you wish to stay logged in.

We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMWMOA forum provides. Why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the club magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMWMOA offers?

Want to read the MOA monthly magazine for free? Take a 3-month test ride of the magazine; check here for details.

• NOTE. Some content will be hidden from you. If you want to view all content, you must register for the forum if you are not a member, or if a member, you must be logged in.

ON looking for tech articles

MANDYPANTS

Know a lot about Airhead tech?
Plan on wrenching this winter?
Enjoy writing?

The Owners News is looking for technically proficient people who know how to wrench to share their knowledge. If you are interested in writing one or more technical articles and explaining anything from simple maintenance to complex repairs, please e-mail mandy@bmwmoa.org. Please be prepared to submit photos of your project, and captions explaining what is in the pictures.

Airhead Article Oil Coolers

I would love to see an article on the Oil Coolers and any problems with the banjo bolts etc. I recently added an airhead to the mix and it has been my first experience with one with the oil cooler. Or if I missed this in an MOA mag would appreciate info on this.:type

Perhaps a reprint.......just to get so things going.

Many of us are thrilled that there still is such a interest in the older airhead bikes. No one is saying that they should be out there running around with all the big boys.......but still......in their day.....they could rock. I did write several articles about building up these old engines and perhaps our new editor should consider a reprint of these.......just for the members out there who still care about and love the airheads of yesteryear. If the editor would like I can forward the original version of the HOT ROD piece I published as it answers so many questions about getting more from the pre 85 bikes.

We are on down the line now. I have written a bit about modifications one might consider for the new R12S for instance......but no one from BMWON has stepped forward and ask for any articles of this type. I have felt that the direction of the magazine has change and that their is very little interest in what some might construe as politically incorrect writing about how to make them faster. Thoughts?

Glad to see you here. I hope ON reprints those articles. I certainly appreciate your help and think the entire Airhead community should benefit.

Fiberglass Repair

Anyone in Portland have a broken fiberglass piece? I am pretty good working with this stuff. I could write up an article on the repair.
PM me

Jim Roche, you are one of my heroes. I used your advice to build my project bikes:

aaagbupload.jpg

aaaupldredbikeside.jpg

If you have information on Airheads, I would love to hear it all. If you have info on the newer bikes, I would consider buying the bike just to try your mods on it.

Thanks for all your help over the years,
Jon-Lars Sorenson
Beverly, WA

Last edited:
I've four airheads in the garage. Any tech info on these great machines would be of interest. As for performance mods, I have no expectations that my 84 RS will keep up with current power bikes (I have no trouble keeping up with my fellow club riders the way we ride) but, anyway to improve what I've got woud be of interest if it works. In any case, any current articles on on airhead updates, mods and the like would make my day. I've read Dr. Curves articles and enjoyed them all.

Dave h
San Antonio, Tx

Airhead article request....

[
We are on down the line now. I have written a bit about modifications one might consider for the new R12S for instance......but no one from BMWON has stepped forward and ask for any articles of this type. I have felt that the direction of the magazine has change and that their is very little interest in what some might construe as politically incorrect writing about how to make them faster. Thoughts?[/QUOTE]

Dr. Curve, sir.....

I think you are correct in your assessment that the mag has changed. I've found little of interest in the issues since the change in editors and the effort to increase the direction of our organization toward the internet. In fact, I am considering not renewing my subscription or renewing my membership: there is nothing in the last few issues of MOA that I find of interest. The mag is just too bland and slick: can you conceive of a column now that Higdon, "Lucifer", Cwi or Sancken would be published without being censored?

Naw.....the mag is too slick: extolling the new bikes that a vast majority of us cannot afford nor choose to ride; pages of tours that only a very few can afford to take and not a word about major problems with the new bikes. Nope.....it's become a brochure for BMWNA, advertisers and politically correct constipated "leaders".

Brody, Higdon, Susan, Phatt, where are you when we need you. Y'all made me mad, you encouraged me, you outraged me, you disgusted me, you made me laugh and made me think from a different perspective and you made me look forward to another issue of the mag.

Hell, Curve, write some articles.....maybe the new board of censors will print them without editing, but I doubt it.

budamy, waiting for the next issue of Airheads and rereading all my back issues of BMWMOA from the 70s, 80s and 90s.

Anachronism #72297

article reprint

..... and perhaps our new editor should consider a reprint of those [past articles].......just for the members out there who still care about and love the airheads of yesteryear.

I, for one, enjoy airhead tech articles of any type, and, as I have gone thru some old ('80's) BMW ON issues, I know there are many many tech articles that many of us coul benefit from.

Isn't Matt Parkhouse coming up with Keep 'em Flyin' every month?

I learn all kinds of stuff from there.

At the risk of showing my ignorance, is there a way to get a listing of airheads articles in back issues? Perhaps printed in one of the upcoming ON's (unless it already exists and I'm just too stupid to find it). Maybe try to figure out the ones that have been the most popular and try to get permission to reprint some of them? The basic info should be the same the only differences might be where to buy some of the parts.

j

oh how i love comments like this.
when was the last time you submitted anything to the magazine? i haven't in a couple of years, but i have at some point. i dont think you have a leg to stand on complaining about content if you haven't been submitting articles.
i'll not go into the rest of your broadly painted comments.

have fun reading your 20 year old mags and thinking about how good the ol' days were.

Dr. Curve, sir.....

I think you are correct in your assessment that the mag has changed. I've found little of interest in the issues since the change in editors and the effort to increase the direction of our organization toward the internet. In fact, I am considering not renewing my subscription or renewing my membership: there is nothing in the last few issues of MOA that I find of interest. The mag is just too bland and slick: can you conceive of a column now that Higdon, "Lucifer", Cwi or Sancken would be published without being censored?

Naw.....the mag is too slick: extolling the new bikes that a vast majority of us cannot afford nor choose to ride; pages of tours that only a very few can afford to take and not a word about major problems with the new bikes. Nope.....it's become a brochure for BMWNA, advertisers and politically correct constipated "leaders".

Brody, Higdon, Susan, Phatt, where are you when we need you. Y'all made me mad, you encouraged me, you outraged me, you disgusted me, you made me laugh and made me think from a different perspective and you made me look forward to another issue of the mag.

Hell, Curve, write some articles.....maybe the new board of censors will print them without editing, but I doubt it.

budamy, waiting for the next issue of Airheads and rereading all my back issues of BMWMOA from the 70s, 80s and 90s.

Anachronism #72297

Anyone in Portland have a broken fiberglass piece? I am pretty good working with this stuff. I could write up an article on the repair.
PM me

-late reply-
Bob,
I've got a big hammer. We could work something out. :D

Back