• Welcome Guest! If you are already a member of the BMW MOA, please log in to the forum in the upper right hand corner of this page. Check "Remember Me?" if you wish to stay logged in.

We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMWMOA forum provides. Why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the club magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMWMOA offers?

Want to read the MOA monthly magazine for free? Take a 3-month test ride of the magazine; check here for details.

• NOTE. Some content will be hidden from you. If you want to view all content, you must register for the forum if you are not a member, or if a member, you must be logged in.

Welcome to Online Central

Visian said:
I held a meeting with the code vendor that you all selected... back in June of 2003. I showed him the forum, told him about the unified log-in/authentication requirement, and showed him, Ray and Sandee the use-case flowchart that I whipped up to at least illustrate the requirment.

Also had a good friend explore several different methods of having an electronic membership card. Getting that crap to work cross platform is a huge pita.

The code vendor seemed to think that a cold fusion process would do the trick. That was two years ago... whatever happened?

Ian

Guys, beyond this I'm going to defer to the Tech Team Manager.

Visian said:
I held a meeting with the code vendor that you all selected... back in June of 2003. I showed him the forum, told him about the unified log-in/authentication requirement, and showed him, Ray and Sandee the use-case flowchart that I whipped up to at least illustrate the requirment.

Also had a good friend explore several different methods of having an electronic membership card. Getting that crap to work cross platform is a huge pita.

The code vendor seemed to think that a cold fusion process would do the trick. That was two years ago... whatever happened?

Ian

So correct me if I am wrong, the ability to do this has been here for two years already. Would I be wrong in thinking something else might be holding things up?

lorazepam said:
So correct me if I am wrong, the ability to do this has been here for two years already. Would I be wrong in thinking something else might be holding things up?

Hahaha... no. There was a *meeting* held that far back. Whether the programmer ever pursued that or not is another matter entirely.

Then, even if they did... and if you're not in software development, you learn fast --- there's a big difference between the programmer saying "oh, yeah, I can do that easy" in a client meeting, and when s/he is actually doing the programming.

IIRC, the rule of thumb is to take the programmer's estimate and double the time and triple the cost. ;)

Ian

Ok, just wondered. There have been promises made since I have been on here to expand the website and just wondered if someone was dragging their feet, or if it really was a programming and implementation problem.

I respect the volunteers who put in all the time and effort to make this such a great place to visit and gain knowledge and make new friends.

If we have a million plus in the bank as a club, heck lets pay someone to speed up the process and get it done.

Visian said:
IIRC, the rule of thumb is to take the programmer's estimate and double the time and triple the cost. ;)

Hmmm. My programmer's at the office haven't done that to me yet. It is always a week late though.

A Little Suggestion...

The web site is really nice and hugely informative! You guys have done a great job!

My question... is there anyway to include an MOA member listing on the web site? It would be nice to be able to get in touch with new and old friends.

What do you all think?

lburns60 said:
The web site is really nice and hugely informative! You guys have done a great job!

My question... is there anyway to include an MOA member listing on the web site? It would be nice to be able to get in touch with new and old friends.

What do you all think?

Interesting suggestion, but the 'MOA membership list has always been very confidential. We don't let it out to anyone to protect our members from a lot of "exploits" which in the case of a web-based list could include spammers and such.

If you use your actual name somewhere in your sig line here, a lot of old friends may be able to find you, and the new ones will know you from the get go. :dance

lburns60 said:

What do you all think?

You can also always try a "Has anyone seen or know how to get in touch with ..."

BradfordBenn said:
You can also always try a "Has anyone seen or know how to get in touch with ..."

What he said. While who is and isn't a member is only as private as who does or doesn't post or has or hasn't written an article, etc. We wouldn't want to make completely public the complete list of members - approaching 40k. Can you imagine the giddy glee of the spammer that got hold of that database - a list of names of people how, generally speaking, have the discretionary income to own motorcycles?

Hang out in the forum and if you're looking for a particular person, post a thread. This is the perfect place to track down another member.

Owners News mag

Is the MOA seriously considering dumping the magazine? I REALLY enjoy reading it every month. While I do use the website occasionally I would be very disapointed if the mag was shut down.

Gary

94980 said:
Is the MOA seriously considering dumping the magazine? I REALLY enjoy reading it every month. While I do use the website occasionally I would be very disapointed if the mag was shut down.

Gary

Absolutely not. I enjoy it quite a bit.

Read this.

And this.

We're going to strengthen both by making them work together.

94980 said:

Gary

Gary,
Tell me you're just trolling... Where did you get such an idea?

Trolling?

I am not Trolling. Just what do you mean by trolling? I have some concerns based on what I have read in the magazine and on the web that there was a posibility that the magazine would be closed. It's just a question and a legitimate one. Yes or no would suffice.

94980 said:
I am not Trolling. Just what do you mean by trolling? I have some concerns based on what I have read in the magazine and on the web that there was a posibility that the magazine would be closed. It's just a question and a legitimate one. Yes or no would suffice.

ON is not going away or getting weakened or turned into an ad for a website or any of the other theories we've seen propagated here.

Dave Swider
BMW MOA President

ON not going away

Cool, I am glad to hear that. I read the mag several times through every month and look forward to receiving it with great anticipation. :heart

94980 said:

I asked about trolling because that seemed like such an absurd question. Honestly, I've not been following any of the threads on this forum about the Media Editor position for a couple of months because so many people were saying totally unreasonable and untrue things, and in some cases making very serious accusations - all without basis or proof. Don't need it.

Apparently the sillyness has gotten to the point where some people have twisted the Media Cordination Plan into a plot to shutdown the magazine. Freakin' amazing! :banghead

For the record, the ON will only get better, as will the web site. Go read the links Kbasa posted about the Media Plan. It's all there in summary: a very simple idea to make both media serve the members better. :D

ON mag

Greg-
Thanks. I have been to the links posted sounds great. I was not trying to be a wise@ss or anything I just wanted to know what was really going on.
Gary

94980 said:
Greg-
Thanks. I have been to the links posted sounds great. I was not trying to be a wise@ss or anything I just wanted to know what was really going on.
Gary

Gives you some idea of just how rare is the true seeker of knowledge. At least on Internet lists and forums. :laugh

GregFeeler said:
For those of your who may not know, we are planning on splitting the current BMW MOA web site into "members" and "non-members" sections at some future point. There are many reasons for this move, but one of the primary is it helps provide the right environment for greatly enhanced content available to paid members - just like the Owners News.

Generating new content takes some time and effort to support and gather, so it follows we'd like to discuss this area in some detail well in advance. The "web team" has developed many good ideas which we'll soon share here for your feedback. However, general member input and suggestions is keenly desired! You never know where the next best idea will come from.

Just remember that as a volunteer organization, our "wish list" only comes true when someone takes on that task. So what we discuss here can not be considered a promise of anything more than a good effort to find some way or someone to make it happen. Natually, qualified volunteer offers are more than welcome!.
As a jaded senior dropping out of long held mc memberships, burnt out on mc mags, etc., I'm experiencing a revival of enthusiasm thanks to this neat Web site. The contributions are great but certainly it's the volunteer commitment and talent that make it so outstanding.

jerryb

Thanks!

jerryb said:
As a jaded senior dropping out of long held mc memberships, burnt out on mc mags, etc., I'm experiencing a revival of enthusiasm thanks to this neat Web site. The contributions are great but certainly it's the volunteer commitment and talent that make it so outstanding.

jerryb

Not to mention that all the web/forum volunteers (and paid staff) are all handsome, beautiful, intelligent, and generally well above average. :D

Thanks for your support - but the best part to me of your post was: "...I'm experiencing a revival of enthusiasm thanks to this neat Web site." THAT's what this is all about! :thumb

Back