• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

1975 /6 shift shaft seal

JoeDabbs

I'm in the process of changing my shift shaft seal. Upon inspection, the seal I got from the dealer looks different than what I've taken off the bike. The old seal has a different profile insofar has how it mates to the shifter shaft. Also, the profile of the new seal has a different detent on the inboard side. I'm hesitant to put the new seal on and have it leak and have to do the job over. I know sometimes BMW will improve upon a design...The old seal # is BAD 16-26-7. On the opposite side of the seal there is a "4". The new seal, as far as I can read it looks like BMW 1 338 740 BFW 1 16-26 7/6.

Any suggestions? I could take both seals back to the dealer tomorrow, but if anyone knows if this is an improvement over the old seal design, let me know....1975 R/60/6

I may not be able to help you with any info concerning the difference between your old seal and new seal, but I'll relate to you my expierience with BMW shifter seals. A few years ago I replaced the one that was leaking on my 1980 R100T, and that cured the problem. About twenty years ago I had a 1977 R100/7 that started leaking at the shifter. I replaced the seal with an authentic BMW seal and it still leaked. I inspected the shaft, and it appeared straight and smooth. I went down to the local Honda motorcycle shop to see if they had a seal that was the same size except with a little smaller ID. Bingo!! They found one. I think the ID of the new seal was .5 Millimeter smaller than the original, which created a bit of a tighter grip on the shaft. It never did leak again. So if you still have trouble with it leaking after installing the new seal, you may try finding one at a local bearing and seal supply. Just be sure you install it squarely. Good luck!!

Back