• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

"You Ride Your Bike In Today"

PacWestGS

25-MPH NEXT 1OO MILES
Not to hijack another thread (and this one can stand on its own anyway). Why in your opinion do people say this when it's obvious that you did?

I'll start.

1) They are immensely jealous about how much fun (or percieved fun) you had getting to work. (While they sat in bumper-to-bumper traffic :banghead )

2) They ride themselves and wish like hell they had riden in. Again jealousy. :dunno

3) They see you smiling after your morning commute and again see you smiling on the way out the door at the end of the day. :D

How about some others - :lurk

Doc

Wet spot

They are wondering if you are the one that left the puddle of water in the lobby or was it your cube mate that brought their dog to work.

It's wet here no way I'm going to ride home in the dark with oblivious cagers dialing their phones.

41077 said:
They are wondering if you are the one that left the puddle of water in the lobby or was it your cube mate that brought their dog to work.

:ha :lol

Yeah it's raining bad up here too - I'm driving :p until the puddles go away ;)

i'm trying to secure myself a locker down in the loading dock near the maintence office so i don't have to answer this question day in, day out. hide all the gear as soon as i arrive!

although i'm sure the helmet hair will give me away

I think it's people's awkward way of saying:
ÔÇ£Wow, you rode your motorcycle to work today, that's cool. I wish I could break free from the artificial barriers that IÔÇÖve set for myself and get myself a bike and feel the freedom that comes with riding. Please say something that will encourage me to follow your path. ÔÇ£ :bikes

I've been getting this a lot, myself. When I answer that I did, they usually tell me that I'm "crazy". It's hard to NOT know I rode in, since I've been wearing my high-viz jacket. :) I also park right in front of the employee entrance. I used to park at a door close to my desk (near where all the executives park), and I was told I couldn't park my bike there because "We don't see the bike and almost hit it pulling into a spot". Apparently, the other employees don't have a problem seeing it, as this has never happened. I fought that one for a while, though. It's always nice working for someone who is discriminatory against motorcycles, which is exactly what I told the H.R. person. She told me we are not a "protected class". I considered holding a protest rally, but decided it wasn't worth my effort. Anyhow, back on topic (not that I'm bitter, or anything):

Everyone sees my bike. You can't miss it, nor can you miss my jacket. Asking "did you ride in today" just shows me that they don't understand (and can't comprehend) how much I enjoy riding, how I can still feel safe riding through rush hour traffic, how much better I feel when I get stressed out and go for a short ride over lunch, and how much better gas mileage I get on the bike, compared to my truck. I don't worry about it. I always tell them "Of course!". Since it's cold now, I follow that with a wave of the plug, attached to my heated vest.

The only person I never get this from? A woman who rides with her husband, on their Honda. She always tells me it's cool that I'm still riding in when it's 28 degrees. Even when the sportbiker gives me attitude about "dangerous black ice", she still knows why I'm smiling!

:bikes

SheRidesABeemer said:
I think it's people's awkward way of saying:
ÔÇ£Wow, you rode your motorcycle to work today, that's cool. I wish I could break free from the artificial barriers that IÔÇÖve set for myself and get myself a bike and feel the freedom that comes with riding. Please say something that will encourage me to follow your path. ÔÇ£ :bikes

Almost perfection!!!

I always say something positive or have a heart stopping story about someone trying to kill me on the way in. So I don't know how that would help?

But mostly "It's All Good!" :D

I have this posetd on my cubicle wall (thanks to Ride To Work)

I have ridden my motorcycle to work today because:

 Riding to work is fun
 Riding to work reduces traffic and parking congestion
 Riding to work uses less fuel than an automobile
 Riding to work leaves me alert and energized
 Riding to work results in less pollution than commuting in a larger vehicle
 Riding to work is less destructive to road surfaces, bridges, etc.
 Riding to work gets me to work (and back home) faster
 Riding to work demonstrates motorcycling as a social good

BEWARE: MOTORCYLES ARE EVERYWHERE!

SFDOC said:
3) They see you smiling after your morning commute and again see you smiling on the way out the door at the end of the day. :D
:thumb

Statdawg said:
I do have a cage for icy days but I take my gear with me to throw people off. :D great laugh.
:rofl

I even shop with my bike, my groceries fit into my panniers
Me too. Being a childless bachelor, I can usually get my groceries in the tankbag since I tend to make more small trips than fewer big runs...of course if I want a frozen pizza, then the bags are necessary no matter how small the run. I've bungeed 12-packs onto the seat, and I even did this last week:
107257376-M.jpg

I've run all sorts of errands with the bike. The one thing I can't do with it is commute, for several reasons. Oh well.

you ride

Russ:

They're just making conversation; it gives them an alternative to using weather as the opener.

Or they may be intrigued when you ride in during a gully washer.

Rinty

Whose bike is that?

Funny no one ever asked me if I rode to work. I always got "whose bike is that in the parking lot?" Then the shocked looks when they found out it was mine! When you are a little old schoolmarm, they just never expect it. My class had learning disabilities and it showed just how severe the disabilities were when even they were surprised to find out the bike was mine despite the helmet and Stitch hanging in the back of the classroom.

Holly

rinty said:
Russ:

They're just making conversation; it gives them an alternative to using weather as the opener.

Or they may be intrigued when you ride in during a gully washer.

Rinty

Hey Rinty, No I didn't ride today - too many roads flooded and really dangerous to mix it with the traffic under the conditions. I do ride on gully washer days and when I do, I get some interesting comments from anyone I come into contact with. Pumping gas, waiting at a stop light and when I get to work - they just shake their heads and ask if I'm dry or warm enough? Yep dry, and grab the cord "actually a bit too warm, I set the control for going 60 at 38 and when I'm going 0 at 40 it gets pretty hot in here" hehehe.

I asked this question as a "Rhetorical" response to the age old question. I was looking for more answers used by members.

I can't wait to use my new Gerbings pants this winter :dance

Of the five people in my office, three of us ride motorcycles (1 Harley, one other BMW). I'm the one that rides in most days. Our conversations center around "why didn't you ride in to day?" The others focus on weather. Little cold today?, little hot?.

Dave H
San Antonio, Tx

I don't work any more and I work a whole lot less too! :nyah

Having said that, I did ride around most of the Houston loop yesterday looking at BMW shops for a new to me bike. Houston traffic, in a word, SUCKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :banghead

Back