• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Monoshock RS Snap Crackle Pop it DIES

J

jleonard

So ....Riding again...finally....Experienced the pleasure 3 weeks ago of the arrival of the internet 88 RS from NY after purchasing it from a New Zealander who toured here for 2 months after his ebay purchase in LA....then experiencing the joy of replacing a coil with FOUR separate cracks....(wouldn't start after a bath) .Yesterday after a delightful short 6 mile ride turning into the school parking lot...bang and nothing... except to dead stick it out of traffic ...roll to a halt...hit the started button and it starts right up......Today SAME thing .....same place...Really doesn't want to start...but does...After school quits on me 4 times in 6 miles....Made it home...Looked as though the kill switch was rubbing the handlebar pad..took the pad off...seemed better ...Was I fooling myself..? Anyone got any ideas?

Mebbe The Iginition Module

If you've replaced the stock coil with the cracks, it is likely the electronic ignition module. If they overhead, they quit, but often begin working after they cool off. The ignition module is under the tank, and is fastened to a large heat-sink with two machine screws. Corrision between the module and the heat-sink can prevent the proper heat transfer, overheating the module.

Get some transistor heat-sink paste at Radio Shack ($2 a tube), remove the module, clean both surfaces well, and spread a thin film of the heat-sink paste on both surfaces. Reinstall. Bet that cures the problem. If not, write Oak at: AskOak@aol.com

Ask Oak!!

I can highly recommend to shoot Oak an email. Be real specific with the history of the bike (what you know) what you have tried, etc. He is a lot on the computer when he is home and he has helped me several times when I was stumped. He has already forgotten more than most will ever know. You might also want to join the the Airheads and check their website. Lots of good information...

Thank you Guys

Thanks ever so much for the information.....Have recently joined the airheads...Started riding a R/60 in 1968.....Been an on again off again MOA since then.....Had one oilhead that I took to Missoula in the last century for the national...Didn't feel like a real BMW......Can't get the airhead out of my minds eye...I'll try the heat sink paste and let you know.....John

Back