• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Info on Rt 50w: Germantown, MD to Monroe, Ohio

M

Motorradfahrer

Planning to ride on route 50 from Germantown, MD to Monroe, Ohio near Cincinnati. Trying to avoid all interstates and taking route 50 west instead. Any suggestions are welcome especially this time of year..black ice..fog..twisties...road condition...Many thanks

rt 50

we did it several years ago before the Lima event and after the Mid-Ohio vintage event. We made a big loop to do the Blue Ridge Parkway, etc. It works well. Lots of nice smooth curves, with only a few trucks. Try the little Mom and Pop restaurants. We also picked up RT 555, the Triple Nickel from Zanesville north...very nice.

Motorradfahrer said:
Planning to ride on route 50 from Germantown, MD to Monroe, Ohio near Cincinnati. Trying to avoid all interstates and taking route 50 west instead. Any suggestions are welcome especially this time of year..black ice..fog..twisties...road condition...Many thanks

I have made the trip from DC to Cleveland, Ohio on great back roads a couple of times. Route 50 across WV is nice until it hits I-79. I would suggest you get off Rt 50 at I-79 and head north for a few miles on I-79 and then go west on Rt 133. Then a short way south on Rt 19 to west on Rt 20. Take Rt 20 to New Martinsville and cross the Ohio River there into Ohio. New Martinsville "old town" a block or two west of the main route through town has a couple of nice local places to eat.

SW Ohio has fantastic roads. If the weather is good and you have time I would go south on Rt 7 after crossing into Ohio. Than make a loop back north on Rt 800 and then South on Rt 28. both are great roads. Rt. 28 takes you back to Rt 7 into Marietta, Ohio.

Rt 550 west is good or you can stay on Rt 7 south and then go back north on the often mentioned "triple nickel" Ohio Rt. 555.

That is as far west as I have gone on my rides. I work my way north to visit relatives in the Cleveland area.

Hope you have safe and wonderful trip.

Bob Smyth
"02 Black K1200RS

Back