• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Tire Changing and Balancing

I just researched the same inquiry. I logged on to the Adventure Riders Forum and clicked on to the GS thread. Then I did a search using "tire irons". There is a wealth of info regarding tire removal and balancing.

Beemer balancers - harbor freight changer

For about $100 you can get changer from Harbor Freight, then need to mount to 4'x4' 3/4" plywood for stand. I would post picture of mine but haven't quite figured that out yet. If you want to send private message with your email address I would be glad to send some pictures to you. You can spend a lot more on changers that may work better but if you are just doing your own tires this is an economical setup.

here goes attempt to insert pictures.

Last edited:
If you go the tyre romover method it is easy, otherwise by hand it takes me about an hour now to do both, lots of practice though.

As for balancing I use a Marc Parnes balancer that works great, although Stuff2c had a great idea a while back and uses the axle resting on two supports if I remember correctly. The key points are to realize the heaviest point of the wheel falls to the bottom...duh...sorry about that obvious statement...lol. The othe point is to put the dot on the tyre over/in alignment with the valve stem hole as that is what that mark is for.

The site for Marc Parnes has a good how-to guide. Also another option that was being spoken of if you wish to do a search are the balancing beads that will not require external weight but you will still need to know what weight you will need to put in the tyre.

Use the tools on the bike to do the repair and then you will know how to do it on the side of the road...lol.

Just got new Tourances yesterday

I bought new Tourances at the dealer yesterday. Had them mount and balance the tires. This cost me about $425 (I don't know the exact number 'cause the computer was down and I left without actually paying the bill - they trust me.... and they have my CC#).

I coulda saved at least $150 if i did it myself. but i dont have the changing equipment or balancing stuff.

93233190-M.jpg

The infamous HF tire changer. For that $150 you could get this, a couple of long tire irons and a lifetime supply of Ru-glyde.

groeger said:
Is it difficult to change the tires on a 2001 R1150GS? Also, how do you balance the tires?

Thanks.

No, its quite simple once you get the hang of it. I use two tire irons and numerous pieces of 2" x 5" plastic sheet cut from empty windshield washer bottles. The plastic strips are placed between my rim and tire irons to protect the rim. I have yet to nick, scratch or gouge a rim in 30+ years of changing tires.

There are all those fancy tire changers that take up floor space and I also don't like anything that you slide along a rim that may scratch it, especially on those anodized rims of the Adventure.

Check out Anton's Wheel Balancing Equipment page for a long list of balancers. I made the first one (my design) and it now doubles as a wheel lacing stand as well. It cost me next to nothing to make.

It's even easier to do car tires with the Harbor Freight changer. FWIW

Not discussed above is getting enough air into a tubeless tire to get the beads to seat.

Clearly you need a compressor and possibly a friend to help. It's a LOT easier to do this at waist level--like with HF changer--than on the ground.

lkchris said:
Clearly you need a compressor and possibly a friend to help. It's a LOT easier to do this at waist level--like with HF changer--than on the ground.

Thats why some people get an old car rim (or new one) and mount it to a table top with the inside facing upwards. They then put that foam used on 1/2" copper water pipe around the edge of the rim to protect the wire spokes/cast spokes. A 1/2" threaded rod goes up the center that goes through the center of the rim and the nut pressing down on a piece of carpeted wood holds it all down in place.

Someone I know uses that set-up. Simple and cheap.

some hand irons, some learning and this balancing tool...http://www.marcparnes.com/ and you are ready to go....

It took a while for the first one, but after that it gets much easier....

the link in the message above is very good as a reference...

Last edited:
GlobalRider said:
Thats why some people get an old car rim (or new one) and mount it to a table top with the inside facing upwards. They then put that foam used on 1/2" copper water pipe around the edge of the rim to protect the wire spokes/cast spokes. A 1/2" threaded rod goes up the center that goes through the center of the rim and the nut pressing down on a piece of carpeted wood holds it all down in place.

Someone I know uses that set-up. Simple and cheap.

What a great idea! I never thought of that, using a car rim. I use some wood blocks to suspend the wheel clear of the rotors currently, this is a great and simple idea though, thanks for sharing this Alex.

I considered buying HF tire changer, but have found at least 3 MC shops (none are BMW shops) who change and balance tires for $20-25/each if you show up with wheel and new tire; so for now that's what I use.

Kudo's on the Marc Parnes balancer :thumb It is actually so acurate it will drive you nuts :) :) if you let it. I found that taking the tires of the GS rims is quite easy with just two tire irons and some soapy water. Some practice is handy or have a buddy show you how, as there are a few simple tricks to know about. Have fun :)

Tire balancing and changing

I just changed and balanced tires for the first time on my R1100RT.

Here's a site that is pretty much right on for those who want instructions, pointers, and pics: http://www.clarity.net/~adam/tire-changing.html

Best pic, I think, is of the barefooted helper installing the new tire!

I used the Marc Parnes balancer, which I think is high quality and accurate (fast shipping too!)
A couple of MotionPro curved tire irons worked much better than other makeshift irons I tried first.

I made wheel protectors from empty plastic 1qt oil containers and used a 14" car rim and allthread rod for the 'work table'.

For a bead breaker, I used a Hi-Lift (Handyman) jack. I put 2x4's on the ground under my truck's front bumper, put the tire and wheel on the 2x4 blocks, placed the jack's base plate on the tire next to the rim, and jacked against the truck's front bumper. A little pressure and the bead's loose with a satisfying pop!

((This is an adaptation of the technique used by the Austrailans for big tires
http://www.beadbreaker.co.za/repairing_a_tubeless_tyre.htm

If you're truly bored, drill down on that site to "Trick 4" and see how to seat a heavy tire bead with explosive force. "C'mon Baby Light My Tire!))

Although the price of the tools likely exceeded the cost for changing the first two tires, my nearest BMW dealer is 915 miles away so I'm learning the basics at home.

Back