• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

/7 seat rail bolts

PeoriaMac

Folks,
I recently aquired a /7 stock seat, and have attached the
seat rail which I took off my old seat about 21 years ago.
The bolts which came with the seat do not snug the rail down properly. ((Yes, it's the proper seat rail)
Does anyone have the proper size/length for these bolts.
I can get them from Bob's, but a trip to the local hardware store would be quicker.

Mac

Not too sound ignorant, but, what model is your /7 because my R75/7 doesn't have a rail. At least I don't think so. Mine has this kind of plastic rib that goes around the bottom of the seat. But if mine originally came with a chrome rail around the back I would love to have it.
Thanks,
Michael

Michael,
Mine bike is a 1978 R100/7 -- which had the full seat and came stock with a handrail. I'm sure the R75 was the same. Enclosed is a picture of a 1977 R75/7....

Mac

Attachments

• 1977r757purple.jpg
    1977r757purple.jpg
    65.4 KB · Views: 69
Tom,
Thank you for the great picture. I have trouble finding any information on the R75/7. All the books I looked at treat it as a short transition to the R80. As for my seat; it came with a backrest. I have no idea if it's stock or not. I didn't like the way it looked and I don't ride any passengers. So I took it off the minute I got home and put it in my storage shed. Now that you've shown me that picture I'm gonna have a look around for a seat rail. I still have the bolts taped in a baggy on the backrest. Do you think they are the same bolts as the rails?
Thanks again,
Michael

1977 R75/7 said:
Tom,
Thank you for the great picture. I have trouble finding any information on the R75/7. All the books I looked at treat it as a short transition to the R80. As for my seat; it came with a backrest. I have no idea if it's stock or not. I didn't like the way it looked and I don't ride any passengers. So I took it off the minute I got home and put it in my storage shed. Now that you've shown me that picture I'm gonna have a look around for a seat rail. I still have the bolts taped in a baggy on the backrest. Do you think they are the same bolts as the rails?
Thanks again,
Michael

Does the backrest have some swoopy chrome rails that all meet in the back and hold a semi oval backrest? Don't throw it in the shed, sell it! It sounds like a Russells backrest and they're actually rather sought after.

You might be able to trade for a set of standard seat rails with someone that's looking to upgrade.

Seat rail

I think I still have another seat rail in the garage from
a seat which got coverted. If yoy're looking for one, and don't want to get rid of the backrest, let me know.

When I bought my R100/7, it had the backrest on it, and I swapped for a seat rail at the Ohio National Rally.

I think Reynolds also made a backrest.....anyway, they're long out of manufacture.

Mac

Back