• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Waterproof Boots

one do-all?

Although I currently own only 1 motorcycle (gasp!), I am envious of those of you that have a ride for different situations- street, touring, off-road, grocery shopping, etc. Why must there be a single piece of footwear to serve all purposes? I have boots for riding, shoes for walking, and shoes for work. I, too, would love a pair of riding boots that look like dress shoes, but the easiest alternative is to have a good pair of motorcycle boots and pack the dress shoes for work in a case.
Is there such thing as a product that does it all? (besides WD-40)

Dave

wmubrown said:
Thougtht we were talking about waterproof riding boots?!?

We were and they are, waterproof, that is. Not only are they good for riding, but they're good for a whole lot more. :nyah

Might as well buy a boot that is comfortable over the widest temperature range. No?

I have a pair of AlpineStar water proof boots. They are excellent for that purpose and are comfortable to walk in. I can recommend them for that purpose. I do agree with Alex and would not buy another pair. Rather I focus on a good pair of hiking boots for the reasons he outlined and one more.

If a boot is an excellent waterproof boot it does not breathe. For me that results in very hot stinky feet in warm conditions and more. Now I look for a good water repellant hiking boot. This seems to deal with all my concerns, gives me a good riding and hiking boot. I have made changes to my pegs so clearance is not an issue.

If you can afford the luxury of a day tripping riding wardrobe I can give a big nod of the helmet to AlpineStars. If you are camping and touring spend some time finding a good water repellant hiking boot.

I am now on my second pair of all-day-dry-in-the-rain Frei Daytona Goretex boots. I've posted their praises before.
Overbuilt and reliable in standing water.

M1ka said:
If a boot is an excellent waterproof boot it does not breathe. For me that results in very hot stinky feet in warm conditions and more. .

Not exactly true, the GoreTex boots are waterproof and breathe well in the heat. Well at least the two pairs I have do...lol. The stiky feet thing you may need to seek help with M1Ka...lol. Just kidding of course.

PUDGYPAINTGUY said:
Not exactly true, the GoreTex boots are waterproof and breathe well in the heat. Well at least the two pairs I have do...lol. The stiky feet thing you may need to seek help with M1Ka...lol. Just kidding of course.
I just came in from a ride home. Had the AlpineStars on.
Nice and warm I almost hate to take them off.
It is a bit of a struggle I am stiff from the cold
Left offNow the right
WhatÔÇÖs that?
Sulfur looking cloud rising from 
Cant breathe
Its my feet
cant
..............t...
...................y...
.......................p...
............................e :wave

M1ka said:
I just came in from a ride home. Had the AlpineStars on.
Nice and warm I almost hate to take them off.
It is a bit of a struggle I am stiff from the cold
Left offNow the right
WhatÔÇÖs that?
Sulfur looking cloud rising from 
Cant breathe
Its my feet
cant
..............t...
...................y...
.......................p...
............................e :wave

LMBO.... :D There goes the ozone layer a little more...good one M1Ka...lol

OBXGS said:
I need some advice on buying some water proof boots. I just got back from a 3 hour ride in some moderate to heavy rain. My boots filled up water after about the first hour. My boots I have now are the Kilamangero (sp)? style with the zippers on each side. Also the rain pants are first gear, I like them but they dont have boot straps which I think was the biggest problem because they ride up your leg exposing the zippers. Help anyone.

OBX GS
I keep a pair of rubber wellingtons in my tank bag and wear US military jump boots for every day riding - I can quickly slip them over my boots when the weather gets bad - cost about $12 at a discount shoe store. Much less expensive than fancy Italian boots. maybe a little more dorky tho'

I have to second (or third) the Oxtar Matrix. Absolutely dry, comfortable to walk in and never get too hot.

My wife has a pair of Alpinestar Goretex boots that work for her real well and I bought a pair of Rev'it Nemo boots that are real comfortable and fine in the heat yet waterproof. Oh and they make for a nice comfortable walk around in boot too.

Good Boots

I have had a lot of boots in my time, but never an overpriced pair. The present pair I am using came from a mail order catalog called Sportsman's Guide, these were listed as motorcycle boots. They are slightly bulky but very comfortable and very dry, I don't know what they are made of but they don't leak and I can wear them all day without discomfort, on or off the bike. Did I mention they were 69 bucks.

:dance

Have a pair of Cruiserworks (Men's Tour) no leaks ever. I wanted boots with more protection bought the BMW Pro Touring boots they've kept my feet dry in moderate rain and 15 miles of a major downpour. Stiff but flexible in the right places.

Everyone always has their preference for all things motorcycle (and other activities) but I find it interesting that while waterproofness, comfort and heat build-up are discussed here, and of concern, not much is mentioned as far as protection. Boots are a basic piece of your protective riding gear and I've followed and looked at many of the boots mentioned here and almost ALL are lacking a very simple piece of protection: an ankle guard. BMW stopped putting a metal ankle plate in their boots 2 years ago. Most of the others mentioned here (Revit, Alpinestars (some models), etc) lack this protection too. Boots, IMO, should have a shin guard, ankle guard, and naturally a tough hyde to protect your foot. I was involved in an accident 2 years ago (which is how I know BMW stopped using ankle guards around that time, because I was wearing a BMW boot and sought to replace it with same) and the bike came down on, and ground my right foot into the pavement. I came away with a lot of soft tissue damage, but not a single broken bone - to the amazement of the ER docs, and myself - I was sure my foot was oatmeal, judging by the pain. I am convinced the ankle guard prevented a fracture of the ankle (much damage to the boot occured in this area) and will not buy anything without that guard.

So spend your $69 on a pair of discount boots, that are waterproof, and perhaps cool... but I sure hope you don't ever actually have to count on them for protection...

Here is what I wear, purchased from US Calvary. They are waterproof and I wear them all day at work, which requires alot of walking around. The only complaint is the left lace keeps breaking from shifting. For cold weather, I wear some heavy wool socks. They give good ankle support, too. If they's good enough for the US Army, they's good enough for me.

I've worn 'em on several long trips in heavy rain and my feet stayed warm and dry.

Just in Case

wmubrown said:
Everyone always has their preference for all things motorcycle (and other activities) but I find it interesting that while waterproofness, comfort and heat build-up are discussed here, and of concern, not much is mentioned as far as protection. Boots are a basic piece of your protective riding gear and I've followed and looked at many of the boots mentioned here and almost ALL are lacking a very simple piece of protection: an ankle guard. BMW stopped putting a metal ankle plate in their boots 2 years ago. Most of the others mentioned here (Revit, Alpinestars (some models), etc) lack this protection too. Boots, IMO, should have a shin guard, ankle guard, and naturally a tough hyde to protect your foot. I was involved in an accident 2 years ago (which is how I know BMW stopped using ankle guards around that time, because I was wearing a BMW boot and sought to replace it with same) and the bike came down on, and ground my right foot into the pavement. I came away with a lot of soft tissue damage, but not a single broken bone - to the amazement of the ER docs, and myself - I was sure my foot was oatmeal, judging by the pain. I am convinced the ankle guard prevented a fracture of the ankle (much damage to the boot occured in this area) and will not buy anything without that guard.

So spend your $69 on a pair of discount boots, that are waterproof, and perhaps cool... but I sure hope you don't ever actually have to count on them for protection...

Well John a new catalog came today, they now have a suit of metal armor just like the old Knights wore, just in case you are interested.............Sorry I could not resist that

:bliss

+1 for the Sidi Sympatex boots. I have only had mine for a year but am very happy with fit, comfort and not a drop of water inside after quite a few rain storms.

Boots for the Hard butt riding in Canada

:fart Does anyone know where to buy Danner Striker GTX boots in the Toronto area, or the comprable style that won't banckrupt me. thanks

Mike Rich :bar

GeneT said:
Well John a new catalog came today, they now have a suit of metal armor just like the old Knights wore, just in case you are interested.............Sorry I could not resist that
:bliss

Sadly those are neither light, cool, or comfortable... :banghead

wmubrown said:
BMW stopped putting a metal ankle plate in their boots 2 years ago. Most of the others mentioned here (Revit, Alpinestars (some models), etc) lack this protection too. Boots, IMO, should have a shin guard, ankle guard, and naturally a tough hyde to protect your foot. .

The BMW Transition boots have a pretty good cage around them. An exoskeleton sort of. I found them pretty clunky to walk around in but another guy at the shop says it just takes some breaking in. I noticed that the hinge sqeeks a bit. He oils it or something. I bought the BMW Pro Touring boots (new) and they have a stiff something at the ankles and a stiff shin guard. I don't know if they are steel or what. But seem pretty good.

I hope good enough for us K bike riders. But not as good as a couple of cyl heads sticking out there. They spared my ankle more than once on an icy road.

Incidentally, this fellow also says that the BMW riding apparel is the best on the market. Something about the coating on and the weight of the threads, etc. and the armor is a hands down winner compared to other manufacturers. I find this interesting since we usually talk about rain and wind and not too much about the knee, hip, elbow, shoulder, and back armor. The newest BMW back armor wraps around to the kidneys now. All that stuff.
I have no answer to questions about the price except to say that the cheapest thing on a BMW is the rider and how much surgery can you get for $1500. So, as you can see, I'm not the smoothest salesman, except by example, by Viki and I wearing it ourselves.

Back