• Welcome Guest! If you are already a member of the BMW MOA, please log in to the forum in the upper right hand corner of this page. Check "Remember Me?" if you wish to stay logged in.

We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMWMOA forum provides. Why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the club magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMWMOA offers?

Want to read the MOA monthly magazine for free? Take a 3-month test ride of the magazine; check here for details.

• NOTE. Some content will be hidden from you. If you want to view all content, you must register for the forum if you are not a member, or if a member, you must be logged in.

Winter Gloves?

calnalu

Off shore and glassy
My needs seem simple enough. I've been searching for the ideal pair of winter (California winters) gloves but have yet to find them.

I'm looking for waterproof, warm (cold in these parts is 40 degrees), and not the size of oven mitts.

Recommendations?

Thanks.

I wear a pair of glove liners under my Helds and they work pretty well. I have Held Steves.

dave

The Steves look really comfortable and I'm sure they're warm with liners but I don't think they're waterproof. What do you do in rain?

KBasa said:
I wear a pair of glove liners under my Helds and they work pretty well. I have Held Steves.

dave

Calnalu said:
The Steves look really comfortable and I'm sure they're warm with liners but I don't think they're waterproof. What do you do in rain?

Ride in Rain? :eek

I use this:
124368-M-1.jpg

I have a pair of Olympia winter gloves. Waterproof, insulated, good fit, gauntlet way past my wrist, lots of Kevlar. Big honkin' Darth Vader-lookin' things. They didn't cost much, maybe 80 bucks, but might be too warm for you in CA- I almost never wear them above 40 degrees unless it's really raining hard.

I'll concur with lancew: the Olympias' are a good answer at about $80. I also run a cheap leather pair that I ScotchGarded (available at any swap meet). In COLD (40-50F) I run BMW ($!!) types that felt like Michlin Man until I opened the thumb seam & pulled all but 1 layer of insulation from the palm side. Better feel & less hand cramping. IMHO waterproofing is more a matter of treatment than using as purchased.

Real Cold

What about glove recommendations for what we might call "real cold" -- like we have in IL? Is there any good winter glove with a thinner palm, so I can get through some of the heat from my heated grips?

Have you thought about electric gloves? I just rode about 45 minutes in 22 degree cold. I know that I'm ready to purchase a pair for the IN weather. It's funny, because after buying my electric jacket liner a month ago, I've become a complete wuss about riding in the cold. :cat

How about MARSEE?

I got a gift cert for some off MARSEE products and might order a pair.

MarkF

The Olympias provide protection from the elements with a decent amount of feel. (You can feel the heated grips on the low setting) The materials and workmanship are good value for the price. It has been sub-40 weather here lately and these gloves seem to get the job done.

I've got a set of gloves that I use primarily for blowing snow (no, not THAT kind), that are waterproof and warm. They're from Stearns, the same company that makes various vests for fishing. They are, in actuality, ice-fishing gloves, made of neoprene, with a semi-gauntlet wrist. If memory serves (it is said the first thing to go is the memory, and I forget what comes after that), they were only about $10-$15 at Wally-world. I have seen them at Gander Mountain and Cabela's also. Not necessarily riding gloves, but it's an idea.

lancew said:
I have a pair of Olympia winter gloves. Waterproof, insulated, good fit, gauntlet way past my wrist, lots of Kevlar. Big honkin' Darth Vader-lookin' things. They didn't cost much, maybe 80 bucks, but might be too warm for you in CA- I almost never wear them above 40 degrees unless it's really raining hard.
Which Olympias are these? I looked on a few websites and didn't see any cold weather gloves with Kevlar. I'm looking for something for COLD weather (20* F or so) that has some get-off protection. I DON'T have heated grips.

I think they are the "Ultima I" glove- check .here . I found the sizing a little off- my normal size seemed a bit snug, but not uncomfortably so. You may want to find a dealer that carries them and go try them on to be sure.

It was sunny and 38 degrees here yesterday morning when I left for a ride and I never turned my grips on, although it was all in-town riding with no interstate miles

On edit- link should work now or search on "Olympia Ultima"

There is a guy over on the LT website who sells gloves with thin palms for those of us with heated grips. Don't remember his name, but he is located in Bozeman Mt.. Just post a query on the site, and sure you will find him.

Try thinner gloves under Toasty Muffs, the modern equivalent of Hippo Hands. I have not tried these but they sound good, since by blocking the airflow around the glove they eliminate much opportunity for wind-chill, making grip heat or thick gloves (whichever you use) much more effective.

For those who don't mind a bulky glove, I've been pretty pleased with the Tour Master Cold Front. TM also makes some silk liners which are wispy thin but add a really noticeable amount of warmness to any glove.

Dainese Panther Goretex Gloves

100% waterproof, warm, & well armoured, I only bought them as I couldn't get the BMW's in my size but I'm so pleased I did... I've been above the snowline at 6000 feet, without heated grips, no problem!
Not cheap but worth every cent I paid:bliss

Add my name to Eric Blume's list. I'm very happy with the BMW Comfort Temp gloves. Used them today/tonight. Temps in the 20s. Theyah wicked wahm.

Back