• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

F 650gs or a bigger bike

bikingb

I have been drawn to the f 650 gs for a couple of years. I'm currently riding a 650 savage. I have ridden about 12,000 miles in the last 15 months. It is hard to find the f650 gs in stock so the bmw dealers start telling me I need a bigger bike. I wonder .... do I. Mostly I'll ride it around town w/ as many long trips as I can get in in the year. I like the looks and nimbleness of the bike. Just wonder if any of you have moved from a bigger bike to this one. General feedback please.

Thanks

The Flea market here, ibmwr.org, or ebay.

I've seen the GS for sale on all three sites, unless you want brand spankin new. :thumb

Good luck!

I live in Wisconsin. Maybe I'm not looking in the right place. I tried here, the internet riders. What is the third forum? I'm pretty new to the bmw world. Thanks. The advantage of the dealer is then I don't have to sell my current bike myself.

I also wonder if you go long distances on your gs's.

Sure appreciate the advise.

bikingb said:
I live in Wisconsin. Maybe I'm not looking in the right place. I tried here, the internet riders. What is the third forum? I'm pretty new to the bmw world. Thanks. The advantage of the dealer is then I don't have to sell my current bike myself.

I also wonder if you go long distances on your gs's.

Sure appreciate the advise.

http://www.ibmwr.org/market/adlist.php?cat=fbs

There's 8 GS's for sale on the above site now. You would have to sell your own bike though, but you'll get more money selling it yourself than trading it in.

Where in Wisconsin?

I still have my K100RS but since buying an F650/Dakar it sits idle most of the time.

My rural/ferry/urban commute is perfect for this bike with a one tooth smaller countershaft sprocket installed. This minor modification is also suggested prior to taking the bike off-road. I put the stock sprocket back on for longer trips, a 20 minute process after you have done it once.

If I were taking a road trip that involved mostly big-mile interstate riding, I'd prefer to take the K, the 650 will do it but I think it feels taxed above 75-80 mph. There are a lot of folks who do it all the time (or claim to at least) I'm not one of them. But then I don't like traveling the interstates by bike anymore than I have to so it's not really a big issue. The next time I run the coast from here in Washington to my mom's place in San Luis Obispo CA it'll be on the F650. The rough route through the Lost Coast and tight corners along Hwy1 should be a lot more rewarding on a smaller bike with longer suspension than my last trip down that way on the K100RS.

While you will see used 650s for sale, the asking price tends to be high compared to what new bike is going for. BMW whacked about $1000 off the msrp for the GS last year putting a whole bunch of folks upside down on their investment. On the other hand a lot of riders open up the touratech catalog and throw everything in there that'll stick onto the bike so you usually get a nicely farkled bike in the deal.

Cash in hand and patience, the two best tools in the box for someone on the prowl for a used bike.

Steve

Cycletrader.com is a good place to search. I found about 10 hits for the F650. The only problem might be finding one near you.... Good luck.

I am one of the luck few that found one on the showroom floor.

bikingb said:
I have been drawn to the f 650 gs for a couple of years. I'm currently riding a 650 savage. I have ridden about 12,000 miles in the last 15 months. It is hard to find the f650 gs in stock so the bmw dealers start telling me I need a bigger bike. I wonder .... do I. Mostly I'll ride it around town w/ as many long trips as I can get in in the year. I like the looks and nimbleness of the bike. Just wonder if any of you have moved from a bigger bike to this one. General feedback please.

Thanks

sgborgstrom said:
BMW whacked about $1000 off the msrp for the GS last year putting a whole bunch of folks upside down on their investment.

Yup, that would be me....but I don't care! The price drop happened less than two weeks after I bought mine. (it was a dealer demo so technically sold as a used bike.)

I love my GS. :heart My husband wants me to consider the new F800 when it's released but I don't think I will. My GS has carried me over 12,000 miles this year on both long and short trips. If you decide to go with it tho, leave enough $$$ for a new saddle. The stock saddle is a killer!

Newstar said:
Yup, that would be me....but I don't care! The price drop happened less than two weeks after I bought mine. (it was a dealer demo so technically sold as a used bike.)

I love my GS. :heart My husband wants me to consider the new F800 when it's released but I don't think I will. My GS has carried me over 12,000 miles this year on both long and short trips. snip

And you wonder why it's so hard to find one....

Steve

a riding buddy of mine had an old k100, and an r1100rt. then he got his f650, and fell in love with it. he sold the k, and the k is used for long-haul trips only. everything else he does is on the f650, and he loves zipping around town on it.

650??

I had an 1150GS and got a 650 Dakar....did a 1200 mi iron butt ride first out with it and came to the conclusion that it is an equal to the big GS and does alot of things better :D

Thank you all for your feedback. The thing is to have the patience to

A. Sell my bike

B. Find one close - I really want a yellow one too. So, that is another reason not to buy new.

I got the feedback I needed about the bigger bike thing. Sounds like the f 650 gs will be perfect for me. I'll let you know what happens.

Thanks again. You really helped!!

Found some!

Bikingb,

Not sure where you are located but you may want to check out Bob's BMW in Maryland. They have 4 listed on the web site under used bikes and always have a selection of new bikes. I can personally recommend Karl Wagner as a top notch sales guy and I know Bob will take care of those who fly in to pick up a bike.

www.bobsbmw.com

Tracy

I've got a R1150R and a F650GS. If I'm doing a longish trip involving mostly interstate I'll take the R. The 650 will handle it but I just like the smoother ride and torque of the R. Most other riding the 650 gets the pick. Both bikes are very capable of doing what you need. I wouldn't take the R on dirt or gravel, though.

bikingb said:

Thanks
The dealer doesn't have what you want in stock so they are trying to convince you that it's not what you need? Hmm, you sound like you have a good grip on what you want. That is the first step to successfully buying online. ibmwr was already mentioned. Ebay is an excellent source, you can reach a wide range of sellers. In this day and age you don't have to limit your selection to just the bikes at your dealer, or around the block! It might also help if you put a wanted ad in some of the GS oriented forums. Some sellers are just sitting on the fence thinking that maybe this is not the time of year to sell. But if they see someone asking, they may "come out of the closet".

Good luck!

Fascinating Post and the Replies

Why is it that a lot of people believe the F650 is a little bike?

Physically (speaking of my Dakar) it it taller and just as long as my R1150GS. It is almost as wide if you take away the jugs hanging off each side and the bulbous gas tank.

So it has one less lung, and subsequently 30 less ponies than the 1150. But it makes up for that with 250(+/-) less pounds to muscle around.

I know that my 1150 is much better at cruising the interstate at speed, and much more comfortable for carrying a second person or lots of luggage.

But, if had gotten the F650 first and for most of my riding/commuting, had I put luggage panniers on it. It would be all the I need. And, I'm 5'11" 200+ pounds.

It ain't so little if you compare one right next to a bike with twice the available horse power and half the miles per gallon. :brad

So if you plan you routes off the slab and give yourself a bit more time, the "little" F650 will still get you and all your stuff to the same place, for less. :grin

JMHO

Doc

I have moved twice from a larger bike to the F650, from a K12RS and from a R1150RS. The K12RS had a lot more performance and weight. The R1150S had a little more performance. I enjoy riding the 650 and don't worry about the weight. I have taken long trips, 11k miles longest, and had long days, 992 miles, without wanting more power or comfort. Now there is a good selection of bags for the CS which is my current ride.

:groovy

I've been onBMW's for the last 20 years or so; K75 (smooth!), K1100RS (the gravity chair), and for the last 3 seasons, a wonderful R1150RT (Best Tourer). My riding buddy and I have enjoyed some Coata Rican dual-sport tours on KTM L4's, and this has gotten us to plan a Labrador (the back way, thru Quebec) trip .

I just last week purchased an '02 F650 advertised on the IBMWR website. Purchased it sight unseen after a few discussions with the owner, and pillioned down last Saturday to pick it up and ride it home (250 miles).

Any concerns I may have had about the GS being able to keep up on the road were quickly dispelled on the way home. Accelerating uphill @ 90 mph and still having the speedo climb lets me know that it will keep up with the big dogs, while being much more manageable in the woods than they. Some wind buffeting above 70mph, but what do you want?! It's not an RT. For me this is a purpose-specific machine. Daughter will love it also, as it is light enough for her to handle!

I've had it out in the woods already and what a joy compared to the 1150GS!! It reminds me of my old Bultaco Alpina 350 days!

I believe that if you spend a bit of time searching, you will find a suitable machine at a fair price.

Rudley

Attachments

• gs left side w cases.jpg
    gs left side w cases.jpg
    36.9 KB · Views: 45
Back