• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

New BMWMOA?

Motor31 said:
There is no way that BMW is serious about attracting younger riders to new bikes at their current price levels. Why in the world should a youngster, working for a living at the beginning of the pay scale feel inclined to spend $20k on a motorcycle. Especially when there are the Japanese brands out there who have better performance, nicer styling and can be purchased for a third of the cost of a new BMW. Even the longevity and reliability claim is no longer one that BMW can claim to "own" as the competition has long since caught up in that department, especially since BMW is slipping there.

Man what a long message... ok...

The same could be said for Harley seeing how as a new HD is in the 20k range as well but they seem to not have any problem attracting and acquiring new riders all the time so I think it is not a price issue since most young people I knew when I was in the Air Force had no problem running out and buying a car with a $500 a month payment on it... I think it is more an image thing... you need to appeal to the younger crowd. Now as for how they do it I really have no idea... maybe as some have said previously... more TV advertisement, maybe a decent U.S. based marketing firm. I in no way would presume to know how to attract more buyers & riders, but I do know that not all prospective buyers wants to travel hundreds of miles to purchase and then service their motorcycle. Maybe BMW needs to loosen up on it's dealer requirements and let more people sell them.

This has just been my .02 worth and if it were a real message you would have been told where to tune for more information.

BMw understands that they're an "aspirational brand", especially to younger riders. I think they'll maintain that stance, but are now shooting for folks in their late 20s and early 30s with a range of exciting, different bikes.

I think the entry point for younger riders to the BMW world will be with used bikes. If we, as BMW riders, can help new BMW riders along, we'll not only strengthen our own club, but BMW's presence in the marketplace as well.

And, you know, if sales are good, they'll continue to build neat bikes for us slightly older folks. :thumb

Priorities straight

At least the "kids" have their priorities straight. PREP THE COOLER then set up the tent.

Attachments

• attachment-1.php.jpg
    attachment-1.php.jpg
    145.8 KB · Views: 164
Visian said:
IMO, the changes in our organization in the past year have far exceeded those made in the past ten.

How so? The entire community has an improved vibe that is tangible... and everyone can share in the credit.

Ian

I have not been here as long as Visian, but I do agree that things have changed just in the six years I have been here. It ain't all about the magazine, think about some of the rallies and how many people are going to them

A parallel I can draw is with the Catholic Church

when it comes to aging.Our membership seems to be aging.Both the parish I attended in Orlando and the new parish I joined in my move to South Florida
have aging populations.At 55,both in Orlando and here,I'm a youngster with only a small percentage of parishoners in their teens.That's the future in my religion/parish and along the same lines,the future of our club.
A good point was made earlier about affordable bikes.Are the F series bikes affordable and/or appealing to a 1st timer for that amount of cashola? No again. Sure,they can buy a used bike and move up from there.Or BMW can make a bike more appealing and less expensive for the "next generation" of our club.I'd like to know the demographic of our members regarding income and current net worth.The only place I see a young BMW rider is at my nearest dealership,where all but 1 employee is under 25.And it's just the type of dealership AG is looking to close.
These bikes aren't cheap to purchase or maintain and that generation making
12k-20k per year surely can't afford a new one unless they plan to live on it
or camp every day in someones back yard.
John

Last edited:
Totally classless response

Statdawg said:
Perhaps the Priest can buy them and pick up the young ? Thus solving both issues. :laugh

Were you abused by a priest to prompt a response like that?Hopefully not.

Hi all, I've been :lurk ing this post since its inception.

I don't think BMWs are over priced for the market. I think they are correctly priced for the market.

The average HD doesn't get out the door for less than $20K and you can spend over $30K if you like all the bells and tassels. :brow

The "Wing" has refined itself into a modern cage, again getting out the door for between $20-25K

Now, slip down into the Crotch-Rocket category and you are buying a Ferrari on steroids with a 600cc to 1400cc engine capable of going 0-175 mph in under 30-seconds and either killing yourself, or being uncomfortable the whole while. You can't carry anything on these and you really don't wan't to ride one for more than a day if you have to. You will spend between $8K to $12K and make up the difference over the year in insurance costs, that is if you don't need to fix it.

I can't say that the reliablity issue has gone down, (even here, where the worst of the worst problems are probably less than 2% of the motorcycles sold) or that the need to perform required services are as necessary as BMW or HD make them out to be. It's an oil change for Christ sake, and an adjustment here or there that if you are willing you can learn how to do.

It's the economy (stupid) {not speaking of anyone here}, if a dealer can't sell motorcycles then the dealer goes out of business. If BMW wants to sell and maintain motorcycles in remote areas where they are a "Niche" instead of a main staple. BMW needs to relax the standards and allow "other" dealers to sell and maintain their bikes. (Say as the Honda/BMW/Bombadier dealer in Grand Junction, Colorado) They sell Honda's, four-wheelers and have a couple BMWs on the floor, they service BMWs and they will order a BMW bike for a customer.

If a young person today on limited means, decides that he wants a motorcycle over a car? He or she has the same problem we faced 10 - 20 - 30 years ago. Motorcycles cost half to 4/5 of a similarly priced car. Cars have gone up to where the equivalent of a '69 VW Bug and the (new) VW Bug is $2,000 to $20,000.

I think BMW sells their bikes for what the market can handle and they are priced within that market share. If you can't get there start lower and work up, if you decide to go there [a new R or K bike] I think you get what you paid for. How you use it will determine what you get from it and for how long. That Japanese bike for $10K will be a pile of junk in 3-4 years and not worth selling to anyone.

BMW it's still a marquis of motorcycling, it shouldn't be lowered to compete with ???, but held to a higher standard than the others.
JMO
YMMV

Doc

Younger riders are here!

It seems that BMW is doing it's part to bring in younger riders. I can't wait to see if they can successfully maret their new wheels. It's all about price at this age.

Back