• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

New BMWMOA?

LORMANDB

New BMWMOA, not completely... But just wanted to add my comments to Vince W. and Co. instead of writing a letter directly. Much Pos+ and Neg- (just like the teminal on a battery post) has been said in light of recent changes. My .02 worth, as long time rider and owner of several types of bikes and memership is several organizations riding related... Keep up the good work. The addition of contributions from a younger class of rider is great, and I must added I'm almost old enough to be one the parents of some of the older teens and early 20's riders. I hope my daughter expresses an insterest in motorcycles some day. BMW's are expensive, it took several years of professional establishment until I was able to spend the money required for a new model year ride. We and BMW must do what ever it takes to make the sport and hobby available to the next generation. Twenty plus year old airheads and 2005 + R's and K's at $15,000+ are going to be a difficult sell to a younger person with money to spend on a "cool" bike. Again, keep up the good work, I like what I see and hopefully BMW of NA will smell the rubber burning off the back tires of it's competition and earn the business of what I was well over 25 years ago. :hide

Point Younger Riders in Right Direction

There are several sights on web where used Airheads and Oilheads are looking for good homes. Point young riders in those directions. I have picked up a couple of good rides at substantial discounts. The final price of a good used Beemer is very competitive with other marques.

http://www.ibmwr.org/marketplace/

is a good place to start.

Ebay has some interesting buys and you can always find someone in the Anon book to go and take a look at a bike that is on the other side of the country.

It's also great to see the Chartered Club Rally recaps return to the Owners News. Many MOA members have never attended a local rally. These reports will show them all the fun they're missing.

At Falling Leaf Rally last weekend there were a group of a dozen or so young riders all camped together. Many of them were part of Camp Gears at the VT International Rally. Way cool to see the future of MOA in action.

Riding Like the Wind (from one rally to the next)...

CHASMAN
Black '02 K12RS
Knights of the Roundel #333

airheads, esp "cafe racer" style bikes are gaining popularity from what i've noticed amonst certain segments of the youth market. from what i've seen kids interested in vintage things (music, clothing, etc) tend to gravitate towards bikes like these (also old hondas, ducatis, etc.....). these were the ONLY type of bike i was interested in when i started riding, but realized their limitations for long distnace, camping, etc. unfortunately, i don't think bmw will ever appeal to the nascar lovin' fast and furious need a 200 hp japenese sport bike segment of the youth market.......

I'm not sure what it means, but ...

At Intermot in Cologne BMW was there with a large staff - to a person in blue jeans. The main stage presentations were all accompanied by a youthful song and acrobatic dance group playing avant garde music to a crowd made up of very many young people.

When queried about the strange (blue jeans) attire not recently seen anywhere near BMW Motorrad USA we were told that it was in keeping with the company's new youthful spirit.

They also launched an extensive "bye bye" .... "hello" slogan campaign (example: bye bye business as usual, .... hello full service") which if anything more than sloganeering will be interesting to watch.

BMW Motorrad in Europe clearly sees and understands the need to serve a younger market. We shall see how well it crosses the ocean blue, and how well they pull it off. Based on what we saw in Cologne, I have high hopes.

One of the first signs

Welcome home pilgrim.

Good to hear they understand there is a change in the sea state.

Those new bikes look like they will attract a younger crowd where younger means in outlook. The price of the offerings will also be a clue to the degree they want to take on bikes from Japan, Korea and ultimately China.

Except for a very small minority people look at the right hand side of tlhe menu.

chasman said:
It's also great to see the Chartered Club Rally recaps return to the Owners News. Many MOA members have never attended a local rally. These reports will show them all the fun they're missing.

At Falling Leaf Rally last weekend there were a group of a dozen or so young riders all camped together. Many of them were part of Camp Gears at the VT International Rally. Way cool to see the future of MOA in action.

Riding Like the Wind (from one rally to the next)...

CHASMAN
Black '02 K12RS
Knights of the Roundel #333

Right on! You hit the nail on the head. Brings back fond memories of the 80's with Stan at the helm of our magazine. Now if we could have a few more pictures of people having fun.

Thanks for pointing it out.

I have to say that the BMWMOA seems to going in the right direction.
The interduction of the young riders program is one of the good things.

Only it is a strange feeling knowing that young riders of today are only a few years ahead of my GRAND Daughter, HELP it looks like I am getting to be an OLD F**T.

:bikes :wave

Said Paul Glaves:
BMW Motorrad in Europe clearly sees and understands the need to serve a younger market. We shall see how well it crosses the ocean blue, and how well they pull it off. Based on what we saw in Cologne, I have high hopes.
I wish I shared your enthusiasm, but I must confess a definite cynicism regarding things at present coming from BMW Corporate.

They lost me when the started forcing the Mom and Pop dealerships out in favor of the glitzy monstrosities of the present. Then (and maybe because of that) I began to lose my affinity to the newer bikes.

To me MOA is about the people, so basically Im still around because I like the rider group and the culture. And the forums help  this place is like a car wreck  I simply cant pass it without looking. Other than that Ive pretty much fallen by the wayside

Oh, and my "jury is still out" in regard to Vince. I wish him no ill-will and in fact wish him all the best, but the scrooge in me says he is going to have to really do something fantastic to one-up the last 10 years of progress.

Just MHO

Thanks for the comments. I am interested in the comments about younger riders as a member of the MOA Foundation Board.

I like the changes at ON, look at look rallies is great.
(however after reading a few years by Don Douglass as editor the last 8-10 years seem so sterile)

I finally feel involved with the MOA, something I would never have done 1-2 years ago.

growing young riders is up to parents.....
I know I'm doing my part.

BubbaZanetti said:
airheads, esp "cafe racer" style bikes are gaining popularity from what i've noticed amonst certain segments of the youth market. from what i've seen kids interested in vintage things (music, clothing, etc) tend to gravitate towards bikes like these (also old hondas, ducatis, etc.....). these were the ONLY type of bike i was interested in when i started riding, but realized their limitations for long distnace, camping, etc. unfortunately, i don't think bmw will ever appeal to the nascar lovin' fast and furious need a 200 hp japenese sport bike segment of the youth market.......
Airheads and early K's ARE entry level BMW's. Some of us never get beyond it.

RickM said:
They lost me when the started forcing the Mom and Pop dealerships out in favor of the glitzy monstrosities of the present. Then (and maybe because of that) I began to lose my affinity to the newer bikes.
As confusing as it is, I still seperate the bikes - which I like - from the corporate practices which sometimes bother me. I have always gotton good treatment from my favorite dealer (Engle Motors, Kansas City), and from several other dealerships while on the road. The new bikes are exciting. A long, long, long way from "which R80 do you want, the RS or the RT?".

The 2007 lineup contains 19 models. Of those, only the K1200LT is more than 3 years old in the current form. Some of the bikes are startling to us old folks in their styling, but several of them I would buy if I were looking for another new bike. Alas, Voni and I currently have 7 licensed and insured BMWs and more or different aren't in the cards for a little while at least.

R80RTJohnny said:
Right on! You hit the nail on the head. Brings back fond memories of the 80's with Stan at the helm of our magazine. Now if we could have a few more pictures of people having fun.

Thanks for pointing it out.
A few of the 'whippersnappers' at FLR.

Attachments

• flrsm.jpg
    flrsm.jpg
    151 KB · Views: 220
I have friends of all ages in the MOA, but there's really something special when you are waiting together at the gate until everyone is there to decide where you'll all camp...it feels like a little family! :thumb

I like knowing that I'll have messages on my phone from my friends who got there early, wondering what my ETA is...we look out for each other...:heart

As for coverages of local events; if you go to one, take pictures and write a story - that's a great way to be sure there are lots of local events in rallies!
:stick

There is no way that BMW is serious about attracting younger riders to new bikes at their current price levels. Why in the world should a youngster, working for a living at the beginning of the pay scale feel inclined to spend $20k on a motorcycle. Especially when there are the Japanese brands out there who have better performance, nicer styling and can be purchased for a third of the cost of a new BMW. Even the longevity and reliability claim is no longer one that BMW can claim to "own" as the competition has long since caught up in that department, especially since BMW is slipping there.

For a new or just younger rider to pick a BMW from the showroom they need to have rather deep pockets and be able to stay in the dealers area for warrantee work. Given that the number of dealers is rather small to begin with, BMW can't compete with all the other small and large shops out there for the other brands.

For BMW to be really competitive with the other brands (excluding Harley) they need to start coming up with less expensive and more performance oriented bikes that are dirt reliable. Making innovative electronic gadgets to "enhance" the bike that are very costly yet offer marginal at best performance gains just doesn't cut it. Merely having folks show up in blue jeans is a nice touch but doesn't amount to any real commitment for the younger rider. In other words, it's all flash and no substance. Adding a "starter" level lineup and a much expanded dealer base would go a long way to getting the brand under a lot more riders. Frankly I don't think they are serious in the least about expanding the market in the US as they are quite happy catering to the older well heeled rider with lots of disposable income. Face it, no one really "needs" a motorcycle, it's an optional secondary mode of transportation in this country. In other words, for a BMW, it's a very very expensive toy. That is not going to be a lead choice for young riders.

RickM said:
Said Paul Glaves:I wish I shared your enthusiasm, but I must confess a definite cynicism regarding things at present coming from BMW Corporate.

To me MOA is about the people, so basically Im still around because I like the rider group and the culture. And the forums help  this place is like a car wreck  I simply cant pass it without looking. Other than that Ive pretty much fallen by the wayside

Oh, and my "jury is still out" in regard to Vince. I wish him no ill-will and in fact wish him all the best, but the scrooge in me says he is going to have to really do something fantastic to one-up the last 10 years of progress.

Just MHO

Don't you think that technology, some required by emissions, etc., is one of the major factors in forcing the mom and pop operations out? Not to mention that a lot of moms and pops who started dealerships in the late '50s and '60s got older and retired or just got to old or passed away. My former dealer had very little invested compared to what is actually required just for the technical end of the business. I agree that there are some corporate image requirements which force some out, but I think that is blamed for more failed dealerships than actually happened. Often there is more to the story.

By the way, I love the new bikes and the magazine. And I hope that the UPS guy will be standing on the porch with the latest tech thing that I had just ordered when the folks come home for the meal after my funeral. That is, when I get old...

Last edited:
RickM said:

Just MHO

IMO, the changes in our organization in the past year have far exceeded those made in the past ten.

How so? The entire community has an improved vibe that is tangible... and everyone can share in the credit.

Ian

Back