Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: New BMWMOA?

On the Road

New BMWMOA?

New BMWMOA, not completely... But just wanted to add my comments to Vince W. and Co. instead of writing a letter directly. Much Pos+ and Neg- (just like the teminal on a battery post) has been said in light of recent changes. My .02 worth, as long time rider and owner of several types of bikes and memership is several organizations riding related... Keep up the good work. The addition of contributions from a younger class of rider is great, and I must added I'm almost old enough to be one the parents of some of the older teens and early 20's riders. I hope my daughter expresses an insterest in motorcycles some day. BMW's are expensive, it took several years of professional establishment until I was able to spend the money required for a new model year ride. We and BMW must do what ever it takes to make the sport and hobby available to the next generation. Twenty plus year old airheads and 2005 + R's and K's at $15,000+ are going to be a difficult sell to a younger person with money to spend on a "cool" bike. Again, keep up the good work, I like what I see and hopefully BMW of NA will smell the rubber burning off the back tires of it's competition and earn the business of what I was well over 25 years ago.

Ballston Spa, NY; South of the Adirondacks, North of the Catskills and West of The Berkshires and Green Mountains

Point Younger Riders in Right Direction

There are several sights on web where used Airheads and Oilheads are looking for good homes. Point young riders in those directions. I have picked up a couple of good rides at substantial discounts. The final price of a good used Beemer is very competitive with other marques.

http://www.ibmwr.org/marketplace/

is a good place to start.

Ebay has some interesting buys and you can always find someone in the Anon book to go and take a look at a bike that is on the other side of the country.

Thumbs up

It's also great to see the Chartered Club Rally recaps return to the Owners News. Many MOA members have never attended a local rally. These reports will show them all the fun they're missing.

At Falling Leaf Rally last weekend there were a group of a dozen or so young riders all camped together. Many of them were part of Camp Gears at the VT International Rally. Way cool to see the future of MOA in action.

Riding Like the Wind (from one rally to the next)...

CHASMAN
    Black '02 K12RS
    Knights of the Roundel #333

BUBBAZANETTI
    airheads, esp "cafe racer" style bikes are gaining popularity from what i've noticed amonst certain segments of the youth market. from what i've seen kids interested in vintage things (music, clothing, etc) tend to gravitate towards bikes like these (also old hondas, ducatis, etc.....). these were the ONLY type of bike i was interested in when i started riding, but realized their limitations for long distnace, camping, etc. unfortunately, i don't think bmw will ever appeal to the nascar lovin' fast and furious need a 200 hp japenese sport bike segment of the youth market.......

I'm not sure what it means, but ...

At Intermot in Cologne BMW was there with a large staff - to a person in blue jeans. The main stage presentations were all accompanied by a youthful song and acrobatic dance group playing avant garde music to a crowd made up of very many young people.

When queried about the strange (blue jeans) attire not recently seen anywhere near BMW Motorrad USA we were told that it was in keeping with the company's new youthful spirit.

They also launched an extensive "bye bye" .... "hello" slogan campaign (example: bye bye business as usual, .... hello full service") which if anything more than sloganeering will be interesting to watch.

BMW Motorrad in Europe clearly sees and understands the need to serve a younger market. We shall see how well it crosses the ocean blue, and how well they pull it off. Based on what we saw in Cologne, I have high hopes.
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://web.bigbend.net/~glaves/

Ballston Spa, NY; South of the Adirondacks, North of the Catskills and West of The Berkshires and Green Mountains

One of the first signs

Welcome home pilgrim.

Good to hear they understand there is a change in the sea state.

Those new bikes look like they will attract a younger crowd where younger means in outlook. The price of the offerings will also be a clue to the degree they want to take on bikes from Japan, Korea and ultimately China.

Except for a very small minority people look at the right hand side of tlhe menu.

Quote Originally Posted by chasman
    It's also great to see the Chartered Club Rally recaps return to the Owners News. Many MOA members have never attended a local rally. These reports will show them all the fun they're missing.

At Falling Leaf Rally last weekend there were a group of a dozen or so young riders all camped together. Many of them were part of Camp Gears at the VT International Rally. Way cool to see the future of MOA in action.

Riding Like the Wind (from one rally to the next)...

CHASMAN
    Black '02 K12RS
    Knights of the Roundel #333
    Right on! You hit the nail on the head. Brings back fond memories of the 80's with Stan at the helm of our magazine. Now if we could have a few more pictures of people having fun.

Thanks for pointing it out.
    2008 R12RT (Blue)
    1986 R80RT (Silver)

Member of the Loonie-Tics. MOA 292.

Thumbs up

I have to say that the BMWMOA seems to going in the right direction.
    The interduction of the young riders program is one of the good things.

Only it is a strange feeling knowing that young riders of today are only a few years ahead of my GRAND Daughter, HELP it looks like I am getting to be an OLD F**T.

MT helmet
    [COLOR=Red]NO ONE ELSE ADMITS IT[FONT=Courier New]

What's that noise...? basketcase's Avatar
    Said Paul Glaves:
    BMW Motorrad in Europe clearly sees and understands the need to serve a younger market. We shall see how well it crosses the ocean blue, and how well they pull it off. Based on what we saw in Cologne, I have high hopes.
    I wish I shared your enthusiasm, but I must confess a definite cynicism regarding things at present coming from BMW Corporate.

They lost me when the started forcing the Mom and Pop dealerships out in favor of the glitzy monstrosities of the present. Then (and maybe because of that) I began to lose my affinity to the newer bikes.

To me MOA is about the people, so basically Im still around because I like the rider group and the culture. And the forums help this place is like a car wreck I simply cant pass it without looking. Other than that Ive pretty much fallen by the waysideǪ

Oh, and my "jury is still out" in regard to Vince. I wish him no ill-will and in fact wish him all the best, but the scrooge in me says he is going to have to really do something fantastic to one-up the last 10 years of progress.

Just MHO
    '98 BMW Z3 Roadster, '00 R1100RT

If you insist on exercising a right to burn our flag, first be so kind as to wrap yourself in it and then douse yourself with gasoline just before you strike the match.

Slowpoke & Proud of It! BRADFORDBENN's Avatar
    Thanks for the comments. I am interested in the comments about younger riders as a member of the MOA Foundation Board.
    -=Brad

It isn't what you ride, it is if you ride

HODAG
    I like the changes at ON, look at look rallies is great.
    (however after reading a few years by Don Douglass as editor the last 8-10 years seem so sterile)

I finally feel involved with the MOA, something I would never have done 1-2 years ago.

growing young riders is up to parents.....
    I know I'm doing my part.

James.A
    Quote Originally Posted by BubbaZanetti
    airheads, esp "cafe racer" style bikes are gaining popularity from what i've noticed amonst certain segments of the youth market. from what i've seen kids interested in vintage things (music, clothing, etc) tend to gravitate towards bikes like these (also old hondas, ducatis, etc.....). these were the ONLY type of bike i was interested in when i started riding, but realized their limitations for long distnace, camping, etc. unfortunately, i don't think bmw will ever appeal to the nascar lovin' fast and furious need a 200 hp japenese sport bike segment of the youth market.......
    Airheads and early K's ARE entry level BMW's. Some of us never get beyond it.

Quote Originally Posted by RickM
    They lost me when the started forcing the Mom and Pop dealerships out in favor of the glitzy monstrosities of the present. Then (and maybe because of that) I began to lose my affinity to the newer bikes.
    As confusing as it is, I still seperate the bikes - which I like - from the corporate practices which sometimes bother me. I have always gotton good treatment from my favorite dealer (Engle Motors, Kansas City), and from several other dealerships while on the road. The new bikes are exciting. A long, long, long way from "which R80 do you want, the RS or the RT?".

The 2007 lineup contains 19 models. Of those, only the K1200LT is more than 3 years old in the current form. Some of the bikes are startling to us old folks in their styling, but several of them I would buy if I were looking for another new bike. Alas, Voni and I currently have 7 licensed and insured BMWs and more or different aren't in the cards for a little while at least.
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://web.bigbend.net/~glaves/

Quote Originally Posted by R80RTJohnny
    Right on! You hit the nail on the head. Brings back fond memories of the 80's with Stan at the helm of our magazine. Now if we could have a few more pictures of people having fun.

Thanks for pointing it out.
    A few of the 'whippersnappers' at FLR.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Another
    Attached Images Attached Images