• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Going to Florida, any suggestions?

C

ChiTown

Lucky me, another trip!
Last month I took a 4500 mile trip, came home and left the next day to work on tour. It was sad to park my bike, with the weather changing in Chicago to winter. I didn't think I'd get any more trips in this year.
Well, I'm a freelance so my schedule changes often, and it seems that it's changed in my favor for a change.:)
I've been on the road working for 2 weeks now and am flying home on Tuesday evening. I have another gig (plane ticket has already been purchased by my client, oh well ) to be at by Thursday night in Orlando.
So I'm going to ride on down (1150 miles) to Orlando, work until the 25th, then I have no commitments for 7-10 days or so. Seems like a no-brainer to go to me!
I figure I'll head down to Key West at the beginning, then wander north up the coast.
I will be looking to camp, maybe a little fishing, and am open for any suggestions since I've never wandered the South-East corner of our country before.
I also will need to service my bike in Florida, possibly new tires too. Any dealer recommendations ?
Thanks

-Joe

roundeljw8.gif

Last edited:
live in melbourne, east central florida. sounds like a fun trip. weather is great right now. good time to head to the keys. be happy to discuss roads other than the interstates if you want to see the real florida on your way back.

Wanna see some cool birds? Go to Merrit Island/Titusville (sp?) area. Gatorland (Orlando) or St. Augustine Alligator Farm are cool attraction sorts
of things--especially if you are looking to get close to a gator for some photos :D

Comming To Fl

There is a BMW Dealer in Orlando (Orlando BMW) and BMW of Daytona Beach.Same ownership of both
Jack Ethridge
Ocala FL

Dealer Recommendation

Near Palm Beach, I met a guy last year driving a new LT with his wife. He said the only dealer in south Florida he would recommend was in Fort Meyers. Based on my experience, I believe him.

Suggestion (Hehehe)

Ride south and a little east...

When you run into water...

If it's warm and the beach is East-to-West... Turn Left.

If the water is cold and running North-to-South... Turn Right.

Follow the waters all the way around...

:dance

Miller BMW Motorcycles of Tallahassee, Florida owned and operated by Dusty Miller (800-504-8805) is an excellent service center and, if you plan to go by Jacksonville and you like catfish, visit Whitey's Fish Camp, 2032 CR 220, Orange Park, Florida. I recommend the Catfish Filet Basket with no cole slaw option for a trip to the salad bar. Have a great trip!

Jack

Thanks for all the info guys, very helpful. I've added a few destinations to my list. :)

I've made it to Orlando just fine. 804 miles the first day, then 350 today. Slept in Macon GA. It's like 95 degrees here, miserable IMO. Unfourtunatley I have no mesh gear.........

I stopped at the Louisville BMW on the way down, great people there. :)
They had a new R1200R in the showroom. Looked nice.
Some things on it are impressive, but it didn't make me feel like I should trade in my R1150R at all. I love the Beakster!

Thanks again for the advice.

Early morning in Chicago
dscn0904km0.jpg

Starting mileage
dscn0906rr5.jpg

Ahhh, the Chicago skyline
dscn0907gm9.jpg

After 1 day of riding
dscn0913qg9.jpg

Final mileage
dscn0914md0.jpg

Final stats
dscn0920xn5.jpg

Last edited:
For fishing the Keys can't be beat,for dealers Ft Meyers is very good. :D The 'glades are really cool to visit from or by water, not by land as the bugs are terrible as we still have HOT weather :hungover .
What ever you do have fun and ride carefully as there are plenty of cellphone toting morons in S Florida.

I plan on going to ft meyers BMW, I need a front left turn signal. It mysteriously broke while riding on the highway. The problem is that it also holds one of the windshield mounts. So far I have been unable to locate one in stock in Orlando, or Louisville.
I'm still stuck in Orlando working, seems like it's cooling off finally. I can't wait to get moving again.........
I think many of those cell phone toting morons come down here from Chicago.:)

Cheers!

gotta tell ya, I was impressed with the dealer in daytona. developed a headlight issue on the trip down, at least it didn't quit till after dark, and the tech was able to pinpoint the problem quickly, and gave me great advice on a get home repair :thumb

ChiTown said:
I plan on going to ft meyers BMW, I need a front left turn signal. It mysteriously broke while riding on the highway. The problem is that it also holds one of the windshield mounts. So far I have been unable to locate one in stock in Orlando, or Louisville.
I'm still stuck in Orlando working, seems like it's cooling off finally. I can't wait to get moving again.........
I think many of those cell phone toting morons come down here from Chicago.:)

Cheers!

Any dealer can order VOR for overnight delivery if the part is in stock at BMWNA. It costs a nominal amount extra.

let me know if you're passing thru the melbourne, fl area on your way back.

Bfish said:
let me know if you're passing thru the melbourne, fl area on your way back.

darn, just missed you too. thanks for the invite though.
haven't been online much.

I was in the Keys for 3 days, then made my way north, camped in Orange City and now I'm at my Aunt's home in Rock Hill SC.
I dropped my bike off at BMW of Charlotte Wed. morning for a much needed, overdue 12k service, and some new tires.
I also finally had the left side-full inner case replaced with a full size one, along with a new roll-top water proof bag from to replace the Helen2Wheels bag I have that ripped. I've been lucky and it's only rained after my camp was set up, and looking at the weather it looks like I'm going to get a little wet soon.
I'm picking it up Thursday morning and going to head up towards Boone NC, then taking the Blue Ridge Parkway north-east planning to get to Washington DC on Saturday to celebrate my birthday with a few old friends.
Hopefully I will camp in the Shenandoah National Park on the way into DC, then head on down toward the Smoky Mountain National Park on Sunday.
Of course this is all dependant on the weather. As long as there's no snow......... none forcasted when I'm going to be but.......
I've already decided I'm buying a Gerbing jacket liner when I pick up my bike, considering the highs are going to be in the 40's ang 50's, with lows in the 20's in the mountains. I already went to REI today for a few things including a fleece liner for my sleeping bag to help with the cold I will be camping in this week.
The Keys were nice and warm, but after 3 days of fishing, snorkeling, and mostly relaxing, I had to get moving north into the cold, where I could ride some nice curvy roads. Couldn't sit around any longer, even though it was quite nice.
Seems like I'm a few weeks late in the year for some of the rides I'm hoping to do, but hey, I'm here, my bike has fresh tires and is all tuned up, so why not.

I will do a full report when I return home sometime soon.

-Joe

Last edited:
Back