Thread: SF bay area to Cabo.......advice, info, suggestions........

Question SF bay area to Cabo.......advice, info, suggestions........

Myself and a few others are considering taking a trip down to Cabo San Lucas, probably in June '07. All street bikes (no GS's) so no back country roads. I'm sure some of you have done this route. I'm thinking of a 9 day trip; 3 down, 3 there and 3 back. Does this time allotment sound adequate? Any advice about insurance? What about documentation for border crossings? How are the roads, towns and people we will encounter? I've been to many vacation destinations in Mexico (including Cabo) and have always had great experiences!! But, I've not done any riding down there, especially through the small towns and isolated areas we will be likely to pass through. I intend to hit the library and bookstore to read up, but want some first hand stories. ANY advice is greatly apreciated.
    Lou
    San Ramon, Ca.

'05 R1200ST
    Dark graphite/Sydney Blue
    Never let the truth get in the way of a good story.

Lou: Clement Salvadori has a good book on traveling down Baja to Cabo. It is called "Motorcycle Journeys through Baja". It should be available from 'Whitehorse Press'. About 15 years ago I travled down to Bahia de Los Angeles which is about 1/3 the way down on the eastern side of the peninsula. For the most part the main hiway, Mexico Route 1 is pretty good but there are some sections where the surface can be more potholes than smooth surface. Some basic info: 1. Get Mexican liability insurance.(many places close to the border sell it). Your U.S. insurance will not cover you that far from the border. 2. You will need a tourist card. 3. You might want to consider an AirEvac insurance policy for the trip in case you have a major medical problem. 4. Consider crossing the border at Tecate vs. San Ysidro as the Tecate crossing is much less congested, however be advised that the Tecate crossing is only open from 6:00A.M. to 10:00P.M. 5. DO NOT RIDE AT NIGHT.
    David
    1989 K100LT

Quote Originally Posted by k100lt
    Lou: Clement Salvadori has a good book on traveling down Baja to Cabo. It is called "Motorcycle Journeys through Baja". It should be available from 'Whitehorse Press'. About 15 years ago I travled down to Bahia de Los Angeles which is about 1/3 the way down on the eastern side of the peninsula. For the most part the main hiway, Mexico Route 1 is pretty good but there are some sections where the surface can be more potholes than smooth surface. Some basic info: 1. Get Mexican liability insurance.(many places close to the border sell it). Your U.S. insurance will not cover you that far from the border. 2. You will need a tourist card. 3. You might want to consider an AirEvac insurance policy for the trip in case you have a major medical problem. 4. Consider crossing the border at Tecate vs. San Ysidro as the Tecate crossing is much less congested, however be advised that the Tecate crossing is only open from 6:00A.M. to 10:00P.M. 5. DO NOT RIDE AT NIGHT.
    David, thanks for the advice and the book recommendation! I'll track it down.
    Regards, Lou.
    Lou
    San Ramon, Ca.

'05 R1200ST
    Dark graphite/Sydney Blue
    Never let the truth get in the way of a good story.

Quote Originally Posted by hawkrider
    Myself and a few others are considering taking a trip down to Cabo San Lucas,...
    Hey, this sounds like a fun trip. I spent years travelling to Baja as a windsurfer. I've since taken up motorcycling and have not been back. But, with that in mind... the days you alloted for getting there and back should be good, as long as you don't want to hang out somewhere too long. (that could be a problem since there are so many awesome places to visit there!). The locals are fantastic people - take the time to meet them. Watch out for cars, buses, trucks, cows, people and dogs in your lane!

dlearl476
    IMHO, 3 down, 3 there, 3 back destination Cabo is a lot of riding with little gratification. Ride down to San Diego and stay next door to a Hooters, it's the same thing.

You're talking one day SF-SD. Plan at least a half day at the border dealing with your tourist stamp. If you don't it'll be a really frustrating experience and that will only slow you down. May take less. That gives you 1.5 days to ride to Cabo. That's a lot of riding.

OTOH, if you can get the time 5 down, 5 there, 5 back, to La Paz, would be a worthwhile trip. Last time I went, we stayed in Douglas, AZ, rode across in the AM and stayed at Guerrero Negro, Loreto, then La Paz and that was about right, for us. Your riding habits may be different.

Then again, I may just not be into "tourist destinations."

We did Baja in 2002 via Xterra and it was awesome...
    http://www.burnszilla.com/photos/bajaphotos/index.html

I rode down to Ensenada for the 2003 Baja 1000 to be in the pit crew for a friend who was driving...
    http://www.burnszilla.com/cgi-bin/vi...s2003/baja1000

Then in 2004 Sharon and I drove down again to see the whales...
    http://www.burnszilla.com/cgi-bin/vi...hotos2004/baja

There is a saying about Baja. "After you've been there once you will visit again."
    or something like that.

Have fun!
    Stephen Burns - 2007 R1200GS
    BMW MOA Lifetime Member
    www.burnsmoto.com GS911 WIFI BMW Motorcycle Diagnostic Tool