• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Uncomfortable Gear

88bmwjeff

SF Bay Area
Why is it so difficult to find a good pair of pants!!!!!. It wasn't that difficult to find comfortable helmet, gloves, boots, and jacket. Granted I have two gloves (warm and cold weather), and three jackets (Joe Rocket mesh, Motoport mesh, and an Aerostitch Darien Jacket). I've yet to be able to try on a pair of pants that are comfortable.

I had a pair of Joe Rocket Alter Ego pants, and I currently have a pair of Motoport airmesh kevlar pants. The knees seem to be the biggest problem for me. The knee armor tends to put too much pressure on my knee, which after a few hours ride is unbearable. Granted I'm on the tall side at 6'1" with long legs. With the Alter Ego Pants, I removed the knee armor. They were also too short (and they were the long version as well), so I got rid of them. I had the Motoports custom made to make sure the knee armor was in the proper location. While they proved to be better (I even cut down the knee armor slightly for the best possible fit), I still have problems with my knees.

As I sit here debating on the next course of action, I wonder why most pants are overpants (excluding leather pants)? They are bulky and tolerable at best. I would like to find a pair of pants that are not (I've tried the BMW pants with no success) uncomfortable to wear.

Sorry, I just needed to vent. Help me feel a little by telling me what article of clothing/gear was the most difficult to locate a proper fitting item? Also, what was the remedy?

I also have the Motosport kevlar air mesh jacket and pants. Yes, the pants are certainly bulky and are a pain to fold into the top box, but I have never had a problem with them affecting my knees. In fact when I am riding, I do not even notice them, even though I keep a change purse, a calendar/mileage book and my wallet in the knee pockets. I wore them every day for my 4, 500 mile trip to the maritime provinces and then over to Vermont last July.

Is it possible that they were not fitted properly for your legs? I would certainly call Motosport (Cycleport) and talk to them about making them more comfortable for you. I'm certain that they'd rather have a happy customer than an unhappy one.

I normally have trouble finding gloves to fit because of my long fingers. Held and BMW make gloves that fit me and perform well. I have an Olympia Motorsports pair of pants to go with the jacket. They work ok. They could be longer because they come to just the tops of my boots when I am riding. It seems that long legs in pants is not too common. I am taller than you, 6'-4", and find most standard pants are too short. The position of the armor in the Olympia pants is good, not pressing or irritating. These are overpants size, but I understand that they can be worn as pants. I haven't tried them that way. They are comfortable worn over jeans with or without the liner. On the other hand, many coats have sleeves that are too short. I wear a 36 inch sleeve. Come to think of it, most things don't fit well: shirts, coats, pants, boots. I wear a 14 shoe, boots are few and far between. Actually, it is a lot of trouble to find clothing to fit. I just try it on until I find something that does fit. When I find something that fits, I stay with it. I am quite brand-loyal for that reason.

Well, it is easy to find a belt that fits.

Firstgear

I have a pair of Firstgeat HT Overpants that fit me very well. I'm 6'2" with a 34" inseam, and I bought a pair the same size that I would regular pants. They fit fantastic. They're designed to be "overpants", so they have enough room for regular street pants underneath.

The armor on the knees and hips lines up as it should, and they're quite comfortable.

They come with a liner, but I've not worn them with the liner in. I suspect they'd keep you warm well under the freezing mark with the liner installed. They've got a zipper/velcro on the sides, so they can be easy to get on and off over boots.

I like mine a lot.

First Gear HTAir are great. They have a liner but they are also very comfortable when it is hot/humid. I have also ridden a few 700 days with them this summer and it was fine. If interested, you may want to check newenough.com to see if they have any in stock.
Donna :thumb

88bmwJeff said:
I wonder why most pants are overpants (excluding leather pants)? They are bulky and tolerable at best. I would like to find a pair of pants that are not (I've tried the BMW pants with no success) uncomfortable to wear.

Sorry, I just needed to vent. Help me feel a little by telling me what article of clothing/gear was the most difficult to locate a proper fitting item? Also, what was the remedy?

Speaking of BMW's leather pants, they are the most comfortable for me. The Reflect Leather.

Braddog said:
I have a pair of Firstgeat HT Overpants that fit me very well. I'm 6'2" with a 34" inseam, and I bought a pair the same size that I would regular pants. They fit fantastic. They're designed to be "overpants", so they have enough room for regular street pants underneath.

The armor on the knees and hips lines up as it should, and they're quite comfortable.

They come with a liner, but I've not worn them with the liner in. I suspect they'd keep you warm well under the freezing mark with the liner installed. They've got a zipper/velcro on the sides, so they can be easy to get on and off over boots.

I like mine a lot.

+1
I like the First Gear pants too. Great customer service too.

Yep, you are not by yourself!!!

I hear you loud and clear, although I am much shorter... Only 5'10" with a 30" inseam. I have experienced that the Aerostich Darian pants fit okay in the knee in the regular length, but don't come down far enough over my boots. I have not tried the long part, but somehow feel that they would not fit correctly, because of the knee armour (it fits properly in the regular pants). I have also experimented with the Aerostich Roadcrafter pants with the same results. I tried a pair of Marsee and they did not fit at all. I now have a pair of First Gear overpants. They have the correct leg length, but the knee armour is not in the correct spot, so I removed them, so they feel great. I have not made a decision about them yet, but so far the fit and finish is okay. I am not certain that I like the zipper set up on the outside and I am not sure how I feel right now without riding with knee protection. Even trying on pants in the store and sitting on the bike does not help me... I have found that nothing beats riding with the gear for a season, before I make ultimate decision... Right now I am almost close enough for a custom made set from Aerostich... Sometimes, then you have the best of all worlds... you know it fit correctly, since it is made for you.... If the Aerostich Darian pants could only have a liner installed like the jacket I would knwo exactly know what I would own.... :cry
Let me know what you find out, it may help me out, too.... :lurk

Funny this was mentioned. I am selling my BMW pants. Wont sell them here though, they ITCH like HELL. Washed and dried, scothguarded and all to protect. After 30 minutes I could not wait to get them off. Damn, I paid 200 bucks for something a 30 dollar pair of jeans does...better actually because I wear them. Hey manufacturers how about a pair of Levis" style denim, with no rear pockets (or painted on pockets, as I hate the no pockets look) with armour at the knees. I know they would not be as tough as ballistic nylon or leather, but would be better than the no armour jeans those of us who are "pant frustrated" are wearing already. Just an idea, I already have a job, but if someone does it I get points on the deal. OK? :idea

uncomfortable gear

Jeff:

Try Dainese. I had the same problem you did. I'm 6' 1" tall with a 35" inseam and weigh 185 #. I ordered an Aerostich and sent it back; it felt like a NASA moon suit, and looked like one (the Aerostich people are super, though). Then I went to my local superdealer and spent 3 hours trying everything on, and ended up with the Dainese. It fits and feels like a Versace suit. The Italians know how to make stuff that looks and feels good. But don't mail order it. Just go to a big dealer (you've got lots of them in the Bay area) and try them all on.
Good luck.

Rinty

Last edited:
Helpful vendor

At the Finger Lakes Rally, I purchased a size XXXXXL helmet and a size 56 jacket for a friend of mine who is 6'9" and 385 pounds. (It was kind of funny because I have the opposite problem being 5'2" and 108 lbs.) The vendor was Protec Q and they were extremely helpful and ready to take both back if they didn't fit. Their website is http://www.armoredrider.com/ They might be worth a try.

As it happens, neither fit, but he sold the helmet to another friend with a big head and our local leathers guru is adding some panels to the jacket.

Jeff, I don't know if this will be the answer you are looking for, butt. Have you considered getting fitted insulated leather pants. They breath, they stretch, they repel water if cared for, and they provide outstanding skid protection should you ever need that.

If you have a leather seat and wear leather pants you will soon appreciate your leather seat a lot more.

I have to agree that textile pants can be stiff, bulky, and wad up in the wrong places, but they are also the easiest for me to wear.

I went out riding a few weeks ago in my 20-y/o leathers and found them to be quite comfortable.

Just a thought. Although you'll look pretty sexy walking around in Walnut Creek.

Doc

Not a fan of overpants as they get bound up with jeans underneath. I started wearing Rev'It Ultimate pants, not an overpant, just like wearing jeans.

Even they are not super-comfortable. If they were too comfortable, I am afraid they would shift (or even come off) in a bad fall. They need to be rather snug with the waist fitting up high above the hip-bones.

My 2 cents...

Back