• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Rt 2 to Spokane

Spearfish

Sorry guys! I just realized I was trying to find Spearfish in the list of towns for NORTH Dakota! :rolleyes Duh! Now I see it right next to Sturgis! What a dummy, I certainly didn't mean any offense to you folks in Spearfish if it came accross that way.

Grant
Rochester, NY

Re: Spearfish

ah I am not too worked up about it at all:p . I am just glad you were able to locate us. So what are your thoughts about attending the Black Hills BMW Stampede now. Would love to have you along with a few of your fellow riders. Let us know and take care! Keep the rubber side down!

I have done Rte 2 a couple times, though quite some time ago. I pretty much agree with what's been said so far. If it was a toss up between rte2 and the Trans-Canada(#1 from Winnipeg west), stay in the states. Or find another way across in Canada. The Trans-Canada was not a great ride. It is THE cross country route for all the trucks. Busy, sometimes manic, not fun at all. Parts of getting past Lake Superior are nice, with Provincial parks. Camping was easy enough to come by.

Other secondaries might be a good choice. I try to avoid the interstates, and enjoy the rhythm of a small town now and then. I'm not so much after high mileage at all costs. With 16 or more prairie crossings, I have managed to take an interstate only twice. I'm starting to run out of secondaries!

I've crossed the Mighty Mac to 'da UP in MI a bunch. It's one lane of steel grate and one lane of concrete in each direction. You have a choice, unless with construction, you are forced to run one or the other. The grate is OK by me. On my 93 KLT ( and a big Honda before that) it's like rain grooves on steroids. It's easiest to let up on your grip and let it wander the little bit that it wants to. (If I remember, I'll bring pix to the rally, through the grate, down to the Lake, I took one year. Ya only really need one hand to ride the grate!!! :bliss :bliss :bliss

It CAN be windy, is not always. The bridge authority will, if it's really windy, collect, then lead vehicles across at a slow pace. I think they require joining the caravan for tracks and such at a certain level of wind.

ummmm, yes, the other thing in my brain was about a visit to Aerostitch in Duluth. It was indeed interesting, but it's mainly a Wearhouse(!) that's not open to the public. The Public Showroom was (3 yrs ago?) about a 12'x20' room. Not a lot of room. Just a little dissappointing though I did find some things I HAD to have. Don't get me wrong, it WAS a fun visit. ;) They had a good range of sizes of 'Stitches and other things for size checks, some for purchase. Good chance to check fit and such before ordering a 'Stitch. Great staff, too.

I'll be headed for Paonia/Top O the Rockies on the way out. So I'll drop out of MI and pass well south of Chicago. Well south!

After Paonia, hopefully I'll hook up with the Spearfish Pterodactyl contingent for the rest of the way west. Hey Griz, meet ya at the corner of xxxx and xxxx? :clap

Reid

re: team pterodactyl

Hmmmm.....sounds like it would probably be fun to hook up with you pterodactyl guys both on and off the road! Our plan now is to take a more northern route (rt 200) on the way west and head back east through Wyoming and South Dakota. Of course, we've changed plans several times now so who knows. Thanks for the invite! Hope to see you in Spokane at any rate.

Grant
Rochester, NY

Local Scenery

All this that you have talked about can be seen while attending the Black Hills BMW Stampede...so don't miss out as it is less than 2 months away. You can view the rally details and get registered at www.blackhillsbmw.com Hope to see you all there!

Back