• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Just a little ride to work

rob nye

Ritalin Poster Boy
Here in New England the good riding days are starting to get scarce. With the return of daylight savings time it gets dark early, the first week is the toughest as all the BDC'ers haven't driven in the dark for months.

Fortunately the morning ride is better with more early daylight. Unfortunately cold temps and even shorter days are ahead which will reduce the fun return on my morning ride.

Here is a map of one of my more indirect routes to work.

1204342-M.jpg

Before getting going a good meal is in order. My friend Roy retired from Tweeter and got bored (in about 10 minutes) so he opened the Village Cafe in South Dartmouth.

1204349-M.jpg

1204344-M.jpg

Roy is a very hands on kinda guy. While we were chatting the timer on his belt kept beeping. Roy would mutter something and disappear for a minute.

Soon breakfast arrived. Note the supplied reading material.

1204348-M.jpg

After breakfast I headed out to do my ocean route to the office in Bristol. The first leg is south along Padanaram harbor. The boats are starting to thin out for the winter, in a few more weeks only the poor planners or serious die-hards will still be at anchor.

1204343-M.jpg

Padanaram Harbor looking North East

One of the things I love about this area is that even though we are between New York and Boston our coast line is just out of the way enough that it is not over developed (yet). We still have many working farms near or along the water.

1204339-M.jpg

From here it is a hop, skip and a twist to Horseneck Point, aka the Westport Town Beach. There is very little traffic in this area and with minimal effort to timing no stops for school buses.

1204352-M.jpg

Looking SSW from Horseneck Beach, Westport point visible in distance

Continuing west there are more back roads to cover before hitting Little Compton. LC is a very quiet town and they really like it that way. To build a house you need to have at least 2 acres, plus there is a rather large purchase tax which goes to a fund for preservation of open space. We recently sold our house in LC and moved over to Dartmouth mainly because LC has no high school and the lower school is marginal. With three kids the school situation becomes pretty important.

Note the nice New England church in the photo. Hollywood came to town and wanted to film the Witches of Eastwick (Jack Nicholson, Cher, etc) in this church. The town took a vote and said no, thanks.

1204341-M.jpg

Not all roads near the ocean go straight, here is a little sample of what the ride is made of:

1204340-M.jpg

From the center of LC the route heads south west to Sakonnet Harbor, another quaint New England Harbor.

1204337-M.jpg

The harbor is tighter than it looks, especially as most of the boats are gone. If you look closely at the picture you can see the mast of a boat on the far shore. This boat is 30' long, when I was a captain I used to bring a 60' sailboat in here mid season for pick ups. It could get very challenging as the water depth outside of the channel gets down to 4' pretty quick.

1204347-M.jpg

A great day to pull some traps

From Sakonnet point there is not much sense in any more detours so it is straight to Bristol. A fitting end to the harbor tour, it is easy to give folks directions to the office with boats on the front lawn.

1204338-M.jpg

America's Cup class yacht at America's Cup Museum, Bristol, RI

All up it is about a 65-mile ride and a great way to start the day. While I love fall for the colors I do lament the end of the good weather.

So.... What is your ride to work like?

Best,

Rob Nye

Thanks for the map. So many times people talk (post) about their trip and think all of us know the area they are talking about. The map helps and I've already made a copy and will do a little work tonight with the Garmin. The route will soon end up in my "places to ride when I have the opportunity" file. I've ridden to Mystic before but nothing further east. That may change soon. Thanks again for the pictures and planting the seed.

I dont care what Kbasa says about you Rob, I think you are one hell of a nice guy, hard worker and great story teller. Thanks again for sharing.

lorazepam said:
I dont care what Kbasa says about you Rob, I think you are one hell of a nice guy, hard worker and great story teller. Thanks again for sharing.

Rob is our red headed step child.

True.

Nice post Rob,

I don't get to ride over that way to often but I now have a reason to go !

Craig

Yeah - my ride to work is just like that

Hey Rob,
Thanks for the swell post. My ride to work is just like that....well, except for all the swell ocean views. But, we do have a restaurant here that serves great looking and tasting breakfasts!
(I am NOT envious of your beautiful route to work. Not a bit.)

Back