• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Ss1k

R75_7

i was inspired by boxergirlie and her birthday ride. so when i had to register my bike in texas,(i have a house in texas and a condo in l.a. because of work),i thought i might give it a try. i got Rick Monohan from black kat motorwerks to give my bike the once over before my ride. he also verified the leave time. i packed my backpack bungee corded it to the tank and left at 5:15am. i rode at 75mph or 5000rpm the whole way. i took it pretty easy with an hour lunch and dinner break. i stretched out at the fuel stops also checking the oil,(Rick stressed very important for an old history fairly unknown bike). i took I10 the whole way because speed and ease. the sunsets and sunrises were beautiful. i'm glad i read the hot iron butt thread before my attempt, great tips. i finally arrived at a small town about 100 miles east of Van Horn Texas, i beleive it's called Balmorhea,at 3:15. 22 hours with 2 lost hours do to time change and 2 hours in meal breaks that's not great but not too bad either considering my jaw wasn't clenched shut and my body wasn't shaking from pushing too hard like i sometimes do when driving a car. nonetheless i feel pretty good about it and would like too maybe try a bunburner.

Congrats

Congrats on your SS. Like yourself, I am contemplating a bunburner. It's addicting, isn't it??

- boxergrrlie

Boxergrrlie,
Thanks for your reply. It is addicting. It helped me get just a little taste and understand hopefully a little more of what those people who have participated in the Iron Butt Rallye. Also, I believe Mr. Swider was looking for you on another thread. Look forward to seeing you someday on the road.

Michael

Yes, I took pictures of the bike in front of every state welcome sign I crossed. Not a very original idea but it was fun. I'm on WEBTV so I can't post any pictures yet. Funny thing I noticed was how crappy the California Welcome sign looked in comparison to the others I saw.
Thanks,
Michael

1977 R75/7 said:
Yes, I took pictures of the bike in front of every state welcome sign I crossed. Not a very original idea but it was fun. I'm on WEBTV so I can't post any pictures yet. Funny thing I noticed was how crappy the California Welcome sign looked in comparison to the others I saw.
Thanks,
Michael

Is that the one that says "Welcome to California, Now Go Home!"? :)

I'm glad to see someone besides Boxegrrlie and myself on this thread. As many times as I've driven into Nevada and back I don't even remember seeing a welcome sign. Your description sounds about right Californians are not always the most friendly of people, especially in L.A. Maybe it's just lving in a big city that makes it's inhabitants so untrusting. Really very sad. How's life in your neck of the woods? Any good riding? How about dealership support? Did you read that "joke"thread about the possibilty of an MOA Rallye? The other day the weather was just right, not too hot and not cold. So I went riding up into thehills of Santa Monica and Malibu. It was beautiful. The fist time for me, as I'm new to all this. I'd someday like to ride up there to Red Rocks or to the Hoover Dam and into the valley over there. I'd really love to ride to Moab. Anyway maybe I'll see you on the road.
Thanks,
Michael

Hey Michael,

Congratulations on your SS1K. It sounds like you had a great ride.

I bet you start to look at maps and events a little differently as you start to explore how far you can comfortably go in a day or two (or three or four...). I also find it somewhat humorous that I get very cranky after four or five hours in the car but can ride a 1k day on the bike and be ready for more.

Good luck on the bun burners folks. Thinking ahead I am sure we could set something up in Spokane to provide ending witnesses for any IBA ride to the Rally people would want to attempt. I find IBA rides are easier with a destination, as opposed to doing a big loop for a certificate.

Best,

1977 R75/7 said:
How's life in your neck of the woods? Any good riding? How about dealership support? ...Did you read that "joke"thread about the possibilty of an MOA Rallye? ....... I'd someday like to ride up there to Red Rocks or to the Hoover Dam and into the valley over there. I'd really love to ride to Moab. Anyway maybe I'll see you on the road.
Thanks,
Michael

Good riding, tons. Especially for a Dual Sport. (Why I have an F) We have North in summer and South and West in Winter. In fact there are several BMW gatherings in Death Valley in January.

SEE the joke? I FELL for the joke. (I'll get you back Kbasa, I promise;) )

Here we have "Red Rock" as in Recreation Area, Red Rocks is in Denver. The ride to Hoover Dam ends at Hoover Dam, at least until Segleman (?) North Shore Drive is nice for an afternoon, but populated by humourless National Park Rangers, Red Rock is also very nice, and one way. Mt. Charleston is OK, but a long ways for a few corners.

Moab IS nice, as is the way up and back. As a matter of fact, it's pretty much a MC paradise between here and Denver, on and off road.

Happy Trails, and congrats on the SS1K

I keep thinking I'd like to do an SS1K sometime but I think my motive might be different than most. I've done 800-mile days before without any problem beyond discomfort. I love to ride and ride and ride and I love to put in many miles but never really felt a strong urge to know how many. I can see someday being the guy who everybody wonders why he doesn't sign up for the mileage contest. I guess a long ride is more of a zen thing for me.

Veg,
I'm not sure how miles there are between Dallas and L.A. but if you think you might want to try you can ride here for your first leg and I'll ride there with you for your last leg and my first then I'll ride back for my last. That was a realy long sentence. I hope there aren't any English Teachers reading this. Anyway it seems like 24 hours anyway you slice it so to me I don't think it'll matter which 24 I ride. Just a thought.
Thanks,
Michael

Michael,
A quick check of my atlas' chart shows Dallas to L.A. as 1446 miles. Throw in a short detour and we can make it BB15 or whatever they call it.
I figured I'd just ride to somwhere in west TX and back (El Paso=647 miles). Easy ride with plenty of time left over; stoopid-slab all the way.

Veg,
If you ever think you might want to give it a try(bb15). Let me know you can crash here if you want to. I like the challenge of the high miles. And it gets to my destination even sooner. But I think I'm going to wait a while before I try the next one. I think I need a bigger bike.
Thanks,
Michael

Back