• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Gel Battery Tender for BMW

Mr. Frank

I understand that the new Deltran charger designed for the BMW gel batteries is now available as a BMW part. Does anyone know if it is also available under the Battery Tender name? That should allow discounting.

BMW Motorrad USA Service Bulletin
Date: April 2003

Bulletin No: 61 002 03 (007)
ÔÇ£Instructions for Handling Gel BatteriesÔÇØ

Gel batteries must be charged before being installed in a motorcycle. This applies to gel batteries from parts stock or during PDI. There is currently only one battery charger approved for use when charging or maintaining a gel battery through the BMW accessory power socket. This charger is available from BMW by ordering Part number: 72 60 7 679 040.

In charging a battery other than through the accessory power socket, only chargers especially designed for gel batteries may be used. This means that chargers previously approved by BMW Motorrad or ÔÇ£TrickleÔÇØ chargers are not suitable for charging or maintaining Gel Batteries.

There are commercially available battery chargers that are suitable for charging gel batteries. However, when using a charger acquired commercially it absolutely must be ensured that the gel battery has been removed from the motorcycle or that the battery has been isolated from the vehicles electrical system. The battery must be isolated because gel battery chargers perform a so-called desulfation cycle, in which the charge voltage increases to over 15.5V for a limited time. If the battery is connected to the electrical system during charging this spike could lead to failure of the control units and other electrical/electronic components.

Gel batteries can be exposed to a charge voltage of 14.4V for only a limited period of time. Continuous charging with 14.4V or higher will damage the battery. When charging at 14.4V excessive quantities of Hydrogen and Oxygen gas are produced that cannot be recycled into water and will cause the internal pressure of the battery to increase drastically. When a certain internal pressure is reached, the pressure relief valve opens allowing the gasses to escape. The opening of the relief valve will render the battery useless.

In contrast to ÔÇ£wetÔÇØ batteries from BMW, Gel batteries have a ÔÇ£Use-byÔÇØ date. This date indicates the end of the batteries unused shelf life at room temperature. The ÔÇ£Use-byÔÇØ date is on the rear of the battery housing. Please pay attention to your inventory of Gel Batteries as Warranty cannot be claimed for new Gel Batteries which are past their use-by date.
In the event of an anticipated interruption in use, longer than one month, the Gel Battery must be charged with a suitable charger. This ensures the Gel Battery goes into the period of disuse fully charged and is not left in an undefined charge status.
When using a Gel Battery in the motorcycle, maintenance of the battery during longer interruptions in use or while the bike is in storage must not be neglected. Please bring this to the customers attention.
It is important to remember that only the BMW Charger, part number 72 60 7 679 040, is approved for use when charging the battery through the vehicles power accessory outlet.

Jeff Dean said:
BMW Motorrad USA Service Bulletin
Date: April 2003

Bulletin No: 61 002 03 (007)
ÔÇ£Instructions for Handling Gel BatteriesÔÇØ

It is important to remember that only the BMW Charger, part number 72 60 7 679 040, is approved for use when charging the battery through the vehicles power accessory outlet.

The part number at Chicago BMW is 99990005656. My understanding is that is the Deltran charger.

A reply from YUASA.

This is the reply I received from YUASA...

If you are talking about one of our automatic chargers (900 milliamp and 1.5
amp), then you can use it with any lead acid battery, conventional, AGM or gel.
If you have any other questions, please let me know.

Jason A. Wallis
Product Engineering Manager
Yuasa Battery, Inc
2901 Montrose Ave
Laureldale, PA 19605

Phone: 610-929-5781 ex. 124
Fax: 610-929-8653

-----Original Message-----

The following information has been submitted for Technical Assistance.

-- Contact Information --
E-mail: global_touring@hotmail.com
Comments: What types of battery chemistry can these chargers be used with...ie:
lead acid, gel cell, etc?

I called Deltran customer service and asked if it was safe to use the Battery Tender Plus with a BMW accessory plug adapter on my 2003 R1150. The rep said "Yes, we private label them for BMW." I haven't seen the BMW charger, but I assume it looks like the BT+. At any rate, I'm using it.

Joe D:bliss

The part number for the gel battery charger is printed right on it:

battery-charger.jpg

"BMW" Battery Tender Plus

Lone Star BMW/Triumph in Austin, Texas has a Tender Plus finihed in black with the BMW logo on it for $80.00.

It is the same as my Battery Tender Plus that I obtained from Wally's Cycle World for $39.95 plus shipping.

That roundel is expensive.

:brow

Gel battery Charger

I checked with the local BMW Motorcycle dealership in Austin, TX. According to the "official" BMW line, the Battery Tender (Junior or Plus or etc.) will not charge the BMW gel batteries fully. I asked about an Accu(xxxxxx) charger that states on its packaging "GEL". He advised me that according to BMW only their charger, still in Germany with no known delivery date to the dealerships, will fully charge the BMW gel batteries.

I'd except BMW to say that. The really bad news is that the retail price for this new, unseen BMW gel battery charger is $130.00 or there-abouts. :eek

And I thought $80.00 for a Battery tender Plus with a black paint job and a BMW roundel was expensive. It does not appear to be cost effective to pay that much for "the" battery charger as long as my Battery Tender Plus keeps it charged when need be.

Jeff,

This charger is the one that Mr. Frank is talking about, it has "Programmed for BMW Gel Batteries" on it, and my dealer, Sturgis Yamaha/BMW/Suzuki says that it is recommended for BMW's. The part number is 99990005656 and sells for $79.99. It is written on the invoice as Generation 2 BMW Gel Charger. I have used it and it appears to be working well. Even though it says "made in China" on the back. I dunno, what do you think? It doesn't have Deltran anywhere on it, so who knows where it originates.

Attachments

• batt charger.jpg
    batt charger.jpg
    42.3 KB · Views: 470
I would have to agree, even though you'd be hard pressed to find their name on it. I guess in either event, I'm using it. I have not seen the one that Jeff pictured. If that is the official BMW product, it is surprising the dealer doesn't know about it, or maybe they have other reasons for not offering it, such as price or availability..... Does anyone know the price of that one?

I just looked at my Battery Tender Plus and guess what -- it's made in China, too.

Rich's BMW charger looks just like mine except for the label and Jeff's looks very different. From what I've heard and read and for what it's worth, I think both will work through the accessory socket for whatever battery we have installed in our bikes.

I got my SAE/BMW plug adapter from Aerostich, where I also paid about $10 too much for the charger. Check Chaparral or Wally's Cycle World ($37.50 + shipping) for a better deal on the BT+. I have no connection with either store and others may have similar low prices.

It's a nice day in SW Ohio, sunny and about 40 degrees F. Maybe a little ride this afternoon...

Joe D

The "official" blue BMW battery charger illustrated above lists for $115. I assume that the standard 20% discount from Chicago BMW makes it $92.

I bought mine from a BMW dealer. If a BMW dealer doesn't know about this charger, I have to ask if he is even reading his service bulletins, which I quote above and this one is very clear, complete with part number.

Until BMW of North America issues a contrary service bulletin, I will stick with the charger listed therein. Sure it's more expensive than other chargers -- but isn't a 2004 R1150RT expensive?

Part Number Please

For those of us who would like to order this BMW gel battery charger, what is the BMW part number?

:)

Does anyone know of a case in which a Deltran Battery Tender Plus or black BMW BT+ look-alike charger has actually damaged a BMW motorcycle by being used to charge the battery through the accessory socket?

Joe D :dunno

Back