• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Ipod info???

B

belquar

I am looking to purchase one as a christmas gift for someone. Don't know squat about them. What is good? What kind of memory is necessary? Are there accessories that are a must have? Anything I should watch out for?

Thanks in advance for the help.

Brian

Get the Nano with the flash drive as opposed to one with a disc drive. They work much better for active use.

kurt1305 said:
Get the Nano with the flash drive as opposed to one with a disc drive. They work much better for active use.

Agreed that the Nano is better with the flash type memory rather than a hard disk. The just came out with some new ones that have even more memory on them ( 8Gb ) which is even better.

Nano? I've got a 20 gig color screen/photo that came out in July 2005. It really depends on how much music they have. I've got about 1,500 songs on mine and it's only about half full. I'd consider how much a music nut the recipient is...if they'd just use it work out, get them a Nano. Then again, that would definitely be a less expensive gift than a full-on iPod.

If I were you, I'd find the nearest Apple store and go talk to someone. They're usually very well-informed, helpful, and delightfully geeky.

As far as accessories go, they'll need a case to keep it in. I got a white leather sleeve that protects the surface and screen from scratches and abrasions. It'd be a good idea.

Good on ya for getting someone an iPod! They make great gifts!

mandypants said:
If I were you, I'd find the nearest Apple store and go talk to someone. They're usually very well-informed, helpful, and delightfully geeky.

Best Buy carries the whole line, and I saw the new Nano's with the aluminum case there the other day. Wish mine had the aluminum case, it's plastic is ALL scratched to hell. I have the 60GB Gen5 too... nice unit, equally susceptible to scratches :bluduh

I bought the 60 gig w/color screen last year. My wife recently got the 30 gig "U2" model.

I've ridden 10K or so with mine without so much as a hiccup. Right now I have 5,000+ songs (14 days of music), 3-4,000 pictures, and 30 or so short videos (including 17 episodes of South Park) and have about 22 gigs free.

I am an avid digital photographer, so I like being able to carry around a few thousand of my pictures with me to show at a moment's notice. I also make movies (usually of the pictures with music) that I also can carry around.

Last summer, I traveled to Australia for five weeks. I shot almost 30 gigs of pictures. I used the available space on my iPod's hard drive as a mass storage device. Worked great.

I also was able to bring old family photos to show the Aussie relatives. The iPod was even able to show pictures and movies on a PAL television.

The super-small iPods, like the Nano, are great. If you have any interest in photos or videos, you might check out a video model. They're pretty cool.

I agree with Mandy about the case. They scratch if you look at them funny.

ipods are like big screen tvs. you hem and haw, and then in the end, you wish you'd bought the next size up.

Go handle them and get the one that feels right. They all have their limitations and advantages. When we were buying one for my diminutive wife, she didn't like the size of the Nano. We both found it fussily small with a screen too tiny to easily read and the click wheel fidgity.

She opted for a 30GB video ipod. The extra storage capacity was a great help on our trip to Italy for storing photos. With a $30 adapter from apple, you can move photos from your camera to the ipod (assuming the camera is supported). When out for the day, we'd use a single 1GB card with the camera (we had a 2nd one just in case) and leave the ipod at the hotel. At night, we'd transfer the photos to the ipod.

I bought my wife the Nano for her birthday she lost it two weeks later. :doh
I think it's a good idea to get your name and phone number engraved in it or at least put a label on the back of it.

Burnszilla said:
I bought my wife the Nano for her birthday she lost it two weeks later. :doh
I think it's a good idea to get your name and phone number engraved in it or at least put a label on the back of it.

:ha

That was one of the reasons we didn't get the Nano. I'd forget it was in a pocket and either sit on it or run it through the laundry.

Speaking of losing small gadgets, has anyone else noticed how some consumer goods are rushing toward getting smaller (cell phones, computers) and others are getting HUGE (SUVs, televisions)?

What if it were the other way around and people were bragging about how big their cell phone was and how small their TV was?

These are the things I ponder whilst editing...
:dunno

mandypants said:
Speaking of losing small gadgets, has anyone else noticed how some consumer goods are rushing toward getting smaller (cell phones, computers) and others are getting HUGE (SUVs, televisions)?

What if it were the other way around and people were bragging about how big their cell phone was and how small their TV was?

These are the things I ponder whilst editing...
:dunno

There's a size and weight that stops making sense to human hands. An old pottery professor used to talk about a piece needing a certain amount of heft, or it just doesn't feel right.

knary said:
There's a size and weight that stops making sense to human hands. An old pottery professor used to talk about a piece needing a certain amount of heft, or it just doesn't feel right.

you just need to quit feeling it . . . it will feel different to someone else :brow

Belquar said:
I am looking to purchase one as a christmas gift for someone. Don't know squat about them. What is good? What kind of memory is necessary? Are there accessories that are a must have? Anything I should watch out for?

Thanks in advance for the help.

Brian

You kind of need to think about how the person might use it. If the only time they will really use it is to have something to listen to while working out in the gym, then the tiny Nano is fine. On the other hand, if they will be doing a lot of riding/driving then one of the larger memory units is the way to go. I have the 60GB and my entire music collection is on it. If I were buying today, I would buy the 80GB unit.

I got a Nano (1st gen) cuz I wanted the solid state memory over a small hard disk, since I'd be using it on the moto. I got my name and phone number engraved on the back, just in case. I got a case for it that has a screen protector and also has a lanyard attachment. And, I got a Radio Shack volume control. That allows me to roll the volume down to zero and is something I can do with gloves on. I put the IPod inside my jacket, usually, so I don't have access to the controls, which can't be operated with gloves on, anyway, IMHO. Last, I got the Etymotic ER6i ear phones ($$). It is a great setup. Set it, put on your helmet and forget having to mess with it. Just ride with random selection of the greatest songs you ever owned. Sweet. :thumb I don't intend to keep "all" of my music on it, only the 450 or so songs that is its capacity (2 gig), which is plenty for an all day (2 or 3, actually) ride.

Since people are mentioning remotes and all, here is my setup.

Griffin AirClick wireless remote velcroed to RAM mount stem.
98575440-L.jpg

Tupperware container from the grocery store that lives in my tank bag, with foam rubber in the bottom. Velcro straps to hold items in place. All audio goes into the MixIt2 amp, and from there via a single cord up to my helmet mounted Chatterbox intercom/2-way radio, which is connected to a stereo headset in the helmet.
97825369-L.jpg

And then there's me. I've got the iPod Shuffle, which is tiny. And it's only 2GB if I remember correctly. It will hold 240 songs and I've put 64 on it! I am picky. On the other hand, I use my iPod only when I'm at the fitness center or walking to Dairy Queen so the songs on it have to be "jaunty" to keep me moving.

I have no need for videos or photos on my iPod. All I want it for is some good listening while I exercise. And I also don't want the songs to play in the same order all the time; I want to be surprised what comes next, hence the Shuffle.

I bought a $10 clip to hook it to my workout pants. No scratches yet but I treat it with kid gloves.

Emoto said:
Griffin AirClick wireless remote velcroed to RAM mount stem.

I like that setup... especially the Mix-It2 ;) Just got a iJet remote... looking forward to using it this weekend though I haven't figured out where to mount it yet.

wmubrown said:
I like that setup... especially the Mix-It2 ;) Just got a iJet remote... looking forward to using it this weekend though I haven't figured out where to mount it yet.

Well, you could probably package them in a smaller space than I did. I'm only on version 1.0. I expect that over the winter or sometime next season, I will experiment a bit.

Back