• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

A good read: Melissa H Pierson's "The Perfect Vehicle"

nhlkats

Melissa H Pierson "The Percect Vehicle: What it is about Motorcycles"
This book was loaned to me, and I fell in love with it. ~10 bux on amazon.

Airhead folks may connect more with it than others, maybe not.
A young woman's point of view, getting into motorcycling from the 1st step, Guzzis, rallys, history of races, breakdowns, "philosophy of riding" less 'thick' than Pirsig would have written it, all in all a good and satisfying read. Funny too [especially the comparison of Honda vs. BMW vs. Hardley Dangerous vs. Triumph riders]. Interesting to get motorcycle riding [and life in general] from a woman's perspective.

I read it while waiting for 5 days straight for badger hockey tickets, camping out at the Kohl center, getting no sleep, etc.

Some photos:
IMG_3355.jpg

the day i got there, so clean

IMG_3354.jpg

enjoying the book

IMG_3403.jpg

over 1000 people waiting in line, not so clean anymore

Love hockey, love motorcycles, love getting sleep in a real bed, not a lawn chair.

Amazon Link ==> The Perfect Vehicle

thanks for your time.

I tried reading it, I never made it out of the early chapters...I guess I was not relating to her. I'm waiting for Voni to write a book... :)

I've not read it (yet). But Bob Higdon raves over her writing and Higdon is one of those writers who make me wish I could do it even half as well.

John

I found the body of the book OK or better, and accurate: Pierson is a perceptive and an honest reporter.

The preface, on the other hand - the first fifteen or so pages - is the finest motorcycle writing I've ever seen. Gives me goose bumps to think of it.

Hockey and motorcycles. Two of my favorite things. The book was not as good as hoped but I liked it better then some of the other airplane books I have read.

Yes, The Perfect Vehicle is a great book. I have reread it more than once and hope she writes another one!

a good read

kats:

Thanks for bringing that one to our attention, I'm going to order it. There's a wide range of opinions on the book in the Amazon site, but the impression I get is that Pierson is quite a complex person.

I hope you got good seats for all your efforts.

Rinty

John Brase said:
I've not read it (yet). But Bob Higdon raves over her writing and Higdon is one of those writers who make me wish I could do it even half as well.

John

This is what I was going to note... some of the finest writing I've come across, especially in the foreword. Few have captured the essence of motorcycling as she did in this section of the book.

dbrick said:
The preface, on the other hand - the first fifteen or so pages - is the finest motorcycle writing I've ever seen. Gives me goose bumps to think of it.
Yes the beginning of the book is so good, the closest thing I've come to a "spiritual" feeling in a long time was reading the beginning.

rinty said:
I hope you got good seats for all your efforts.
You'd think, but we didnt even get 1st tier/deck. 2nd tier 1st row, which, to me, is like a different country than 1st tier. I am a little upset the long wait did not bare fruits of my desire. But hey, could be worst, at least I have tickets, plus I met a lot of friendly females. :thumb

I really liked the book and I'm also thinking it might need a quick review. I also remember thinking I'd like to meet the author somewhere out on the road...a guy and a girl...a BMW and a Guzzi...Y'never know...Nah, who'm I kidding?

Back