• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Kilimanjaro purchase, Black and yellow or black and grey?

oldhway

2 Wheeled Troubador
Ok, I've been looking at buying a new jacket and I decided on the First Gear Kilimanjaro 4.0. I love the look of the black and grey, it's got plenty of reflective material so at night it will be very noticible and I've got plenty of lights on the bike.... But...., the yellow and black is also far more noticible during the day. Which to buy? I'm making the purchase tonight so feedback is greatly appreciated. Does the bright yellow make that big a difference? :dunno Thanks....

The bright yellow is harder to keep clean. Just my .02 cents worth.

I have on of each.

I agree with Handlebar. Go with what looks good on you. I was looking at the grey & black myself. Now if I only had the coin to buy another jacket :D

So which one did you get? I hope you got the one you like which ever color it is. :D

(You can always wear a safety/reflective vest/belt when you need to)

I know that the yellow and other bright colors are coming out more and more. But after months of use they get dingy, dirty and grimy looking. I would opt with the grey or black model. I have a blue jacket and it shows dirt enough... If you want more visibility get a reflective vest or plan on washing more and more... Unless you like the "well used" look...
Your call...

Grey and black wins..

Thanks for the feedback. i bought the lack and grey. Hope to see you all on the road....

Good choice. I have the black and yellow and it's fading pretty bad. If grey fades, you just have lighter grey.

The Four is out already???

Seems like it was just yesterday that I remember people scrambling to get the last of the Twos because the Three sucked.

I prefer a dark coloured jacket as it keeps a cleaner apperance than the bright or light ones. As for visibility, the best answer is reflectors on the bike and clothing and lights on the bike. Second best defense is how you ride.

If you recall the change to yelow and lime green fire apparatus in much of North America 30 years back for the sake of better visibility over the dark red trucks. It turned out that the colour had little to do with visibility, people didn't see the yellow trucks any better than they did red ones. Now, studies have proven that the best way to make a truck visible is to put more and better lights on them and more and better reflective surfaces, the colour of the truck is irrelevant (thank goodness we get to have real red fire trucks again).

So the lesson to motorcyclyists should be, if painting a huge fire apparatus bright colours does not make people see it better, then how much is a yellow jacket going to help them see you. If you like yellow as a colour and thats what you want, then go for it. If black is your thing, go for that. If you want to improve your visibility, don't expect a bright coloured jacket to do it for you.

okayyy

I'll bite...
I own a II and a III. What's not good about the III? I've ridden in 20 degrees and was comfy. Waterproof as always, lots of pockets, velcro instead of snaps (much nicer with gloves on). Help me, veg.

DR

DR, I don't really remember...after scratching my head, I think the three came out about a year ago...I remember seeing pictures of them and noting that they were a bit different from the Two but I never looked at one close-up so I have no idea why they got some bad opinions. For the record, I love my Two but I do have some minor design-gripes about it and I know that no jacket lasts forever.

Having just bought the kili 4.0 a few weeks back in yellow/black and put on about 1500 miles wearing it, I would say go with the yellow. Not even for safety reasons, I think it actually looks good, which is why I bought it over a 'stich. And to folks that think it fades/stains...have you seen the nasty looking 'stichs some people wear? Battle scars of the road I say...it is not the same as buying dark underwear :)

I have a yellow and black one. It faded badly right off the bat. I was told that I should have sprayed a UV-blocking coating on it. Too late now. Also, the dirt and bug splats don't wash out. I think it's best to get a dark color jacket and wear a Conspicuity vest or one similar. The vest is reflective at night and the jacket isn't, no matter the color.

Back