• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

final drive rebuild info please

J

jimmyenglish

Hello. I have a 93 k75 w/49k. Just started get a pretty good groan out of the final drive on the power side. Quiet and unnoticable coasting/decelerating. It sounds like bearings to me. I've done alot of 2 up, laden to the hilt riding.

So my question is, where can I send it off to be rebuilt?

Thanks.

diff build

I sent my shaft and final drive to Hansen's BMW in Oregon. They did a first rate job, in the time promised and under the price quote.

Bruno was considered, but frankly I was not interested in sending my pieces to him with a declared value of under $10, which he demanded. Maybe I'm just foolish, but am not willing to play games with the Customs folk.

You haven't indicated that the splines need to be rebuilt; and that is the real service that Hansen's and Bruno provide. If you just need new bearings/seals and shimming, many places - maybe somewhere local - can do that. Just make sure they do re-shim it.

What sort of junk is stuck to the magnet on the drain plug? That's the crux of it.

You should be able to locate a good used one for about $150, make sure
if you go this route the splines match and aren't worn. Checking your unit is easy, just 4 bolts and the shock and its off check for spline wear and then
decide.

The first k bikes had finer splines. So get a spline count and check the ratio as several were offered on the different K series.

Back