• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Have the Forum folks considered opening a GPS forum

I would say from reading this that the best way to see a GPS forum started is to see if there are GPS threads, which there are not.

I will say that on other motorcycle forums I frequent none of them have GPS forums, but there are GPS threads. Like Dave said, if there is enough Threads there will be a forum. I know that over on the Rounders Forum we have a GPS route database that someone volunteered to put together and it has not really taken off, which surprised us.

Yes, it is a chicken or the egg thing, but once there is enough interest the tipping point will be hit.

What do you call this Forum?

BradfordBenn said:
I would say from reading this that the best way to see a GPS forum started is to see if there are GPS threads, which there are not.

I will say that on other motorcycle forums I frequent none of them have GPS forums, but there are GPS threads. Like Dave said, if there is enough Threads there will be a forum. I know that over on the Rounders Forum we have a GPS route database that someone volunteered to put together and it has not really taken off, which surprised us.

Yes, it is a chicken or the egg thing, but once there is enough interest the tipping point will be hit.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=37

The quote from BB was-

M1ka said:
I call it adventure rider, and it is not fair to compare in this case. Take a look at the bottom of this page.
http://www.advrider.com/forums/index.php?

When we have member numbers and numbers on line in proportion to this you will definately have the volume needed. Patience.

"I will say that on other motorcycle forums I frequent none of them have GPS forums, but there are GPS threads",to which I made my reply.
And I guess I should have been more precise and asked,"Do you not read this forum"?
No one is talking numbers v numbers,just a question because I suppose he wasn't aware of the ADV GPS Forum.And if he was,he wouldn't have said that.
Simple as that.And like I said earlier,it would be great to visit my club's forums for all my mc needs,right? :heart

Question was directed to BB regarding his statement and it is fair to compare-we are both MC sites.

I do not frequent the AdvRider as much as I would like. I am probably over there about once a week. However the other ones I frequent much more, IBA, Rounders, and others do not have a GPS Forum.

BB,that is a very good GPS forum with

BradfordBenn said:
I do not frequent the AdvRider as much as I would like. I am probably over there about once a week. However the other ones I frequent much more, IBA, Rounders, and others do not have a GPS Forum.
tracks for 4 different US areas and other world areas.And a separate thread for all else concerning GPS.I'm surprised IBA doesn't have a forum.
I 1st heard of Rounders on that forum and I guess we're spoiled here in Florida for riding,climatewise,so we're auto-Rounders.

bigdelta said:

ADVrider is a pretty good site. You'll see lots of folks both here and there. This MOA site is still pretty new, and still evolving. I think that in time there will be more specific sub forums. Right now, I think there are club members coming to the MOA forum who have never been on an internet forum before and are only checking it out because it is MOA. I think as we (I am only a member, so this has only so much meaning) grow and the number of forum readers/posters grows, we will be able to support more specific forums without splitting up what we have into too many places.

2002 LTE Navigation Question

I currently have factory GPS on the LTE, but it has never been updated since it was new in 2002. The Garmin folks say there is no where to get updates and I was wondering if someone out there may have different input the what Garmin is telling me. It that is the case, I would like input from anyone that has changed out the original factory with a different system. I would like to use the same mounting location and connection to the communication system that exist today.

Well Fuglie, you have dug up an old thread back in the days when a lot of this kind of thing appeared in the campfire section. I'm going to move this thread over to the Gear section to attract some help for you. Some of the info may still help members with older units. Another way to look is with the search forum box in the upper right hand corner of the page. We have some members who are a wizz at GPS and the related so you should be good to go. Welcome to the forum and good luck, Gary

Thank You

This is only the second time I have posted and asked for assistance. Need to start doing it more.. Again Thank You

The factory GPS on a 2002 LT is equivalent to the Garmin 26xx - 28xx series. It looks like Garmin has stopped supporting these units :(

You could look for a used unit Street Pilot 2730 or 2820 that was updated with the latest software before support was dropped (2009 maps I think). This would pop into the factory mount.

Maybe you should just by a new K1600GTL (with factory Garmin Zumo 660) instead? ;)

Finally!

actually, while 5% of the "gear" thread titles are relevant to GPS, a review of the total posts regarding GPS is a little more telling.

a search returned 199 posts in the gear forum relevant to GPS. there are (at this moment) 14,954 posts in "gear." that means that 1.33% of the posts in gear are relevant.

so i was perhaps a bit generous with the 5%.

I've always wanted to be a 1%er!!:nra

Back