• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Have the Forum folks considered opening a GPS forum

hey look, this has ALSO become a gps thread, i'm gonna copy it to the gear section

more on gps's

May I sugggest that at the WI Rally several of the experienced and seasoned gps users present to the "group" on the basics of GPS usage?

It would be great to have several models hooked up for demo.

What about a gps demo tent? Why not contact some of the gps manufacturers
and work a deal out with them?

I know that I will buy a gps in the next 6 months. But I want to talk to people who have different models, styles of riding and so forth.

my 0.02

BeemoKat said:
this year. Reccomendations?

You've seen my Garmin Quest. If you want to spend some $$, I'd suggest the Quest 2. It has enough memory to have the detailed maps for ALL of North America, so you don't have to load the specific maps for your trip, like I have to. It's the only annoyance I have, although it DID have enough memory to get me to the rally via Canada, and home via the US.

if you get something different, I would also suggest something that has a track log, for you. This was very handy for me to retrace some of my ride, after I got home from the MOA rally. It's also what I used to figure out where we had stopped for breakfast at the rally, on Saturday. And of course, make sure it's waterproof! :)

Belquar said:
All right. Lets here some negative aspects about owning a GPS. You guys are making me want one.

Ummmmm....
ERrrr...
I... uhhh....

It will draw an extra few watts from your (probably) undertaxed alternator?
That's not really negative I suppose.

Oh! It will get you home quicker! Which IS negative when you're in trouble with the spouse! But, if you have an inkling of what to expect when you arrive home, you can use it to get "lost" and delay arrival, which is another bonus again...

Damn, I just don't know...

ultracyclist said:
May I sugggest that at the WI Rally several of the experienced and seasoned gps users present to the "group" on the basics of GPS usage?

It would be great to have several models hooked up for demo.

What about a gps demo tent? Why not contact some of the gps manufacturers
and work a deal out with them?

I know that I will buy a gps in the next 6 months. But I want to talk to people who have different models, styles of riding and so forth.

my 0.02

Even the MOA is too small a market to get the manufacturers out to an event, they're busy developing product. And WHICH WI rally? Madison? Dells? The HD summer event?

You want to see the best selection of GPS's in ONE location? Visit Cyclegadgets, check their rally calendar, and go to one. Not only do they carry a rather broad selection, they KNOW the products and can tell you all about them!

Belquar said:
All right. Lets here some negative aspects about owning a GPS. You guys are making me want one.

You can get distracted playing with the gizmo. You know the pilot's hierarchy: Aviate, Navigate, Communicate. Make sure you don't give too much attention to navigation while you should be aviating. I know of a guy who died in a crash in broad daylight. I'm not positive but I suspect it's because he was paying attention to his gizmos instead of that semi that just pulled onto the highway in front of him.

They're expensive to buy and expensive to maintain. (Garmin's map updates are $150 or so annually.)

Belquar said:

Just thought of another negative: It's not always right. Sometimes it comes up with some bass-ackwards routes. Or it doesn't know about roads that have been there for years.

If you buy an older model the route calculations are toooooooo slow. I have a Streetpilot III. If I'm in a dense area, and I miss a turn and force a recalc, it's best to just pull over and let it recalc instead of continuing to ride along and get further and further off course. I understand the newer models have much improved response times.

The '07 NATIONAL RALLY!!!!!!!!!!!

wmubrown said:
Even the MOA is too small a market to get the manufacturers out to an event, they're busy developing product. And WHICH WI rally? Madison? Dells? The HD summer event?

You want to see the best selection of GPS's in ONE location? Visit Cyclegadgets, check their rally calendar, and go to one. Not only do they carry a rather broad selection, they KNOW the products and can tell you all about them!
! :D

Belquar said:
I would be interested in everyones reasons.

Brian

I think the belief that a GPS just turns you into a drone following a route is to greatly underestimate the value they can bring to travel. I rarely plot trips in advance yet still use the GPS extensively on trips.

Here's a scenario: You're riding down the highway, out in the middle of nowhere. It's starting to get dark, so it's time to start thinking about where to stay for the night.

I've got a Garmin 2610 with a roundel on it (Nav II), so I pull over and start poking around, looking for a hotel in its database. It gives me a list of them, complete with phone numbers. I start dialing and find a spot to stay. It's much easier than doing the "Holiday Inn Shuffle", going from hotel to hotel trying to find a room.

Here's one I use more frequently. I'm out riding around NorCal, seeking out more of the little farm roads we have. I've got no idea where I am, but I know it's time to turn toward home. I start heading home, completely lost still and see a nice side road. The GPS, which has been telling me how to get home and what time I'll get there, recalcs the route, adjusting the time and directions. I stop in a town, call Tina on the cell and tell her when I'll be home with some degree of accuracy.

I'm somewhere in the Big West and my gas light comes on. I haven't seen a road sign in hours. Where's the nearest gas? Ask the GPS. In some cases, the only gas in range might be behind you, you know?

In any case, I'm a map guy too. I've got a drawer full of them and always carry them on the bike for big picture navigation. But with a GPS along, I've got a database and a nav computer that can make my trip that much better, free of surprises and more enjoyable.

I was skeptical when Tina bought us this one, but I have to say that I'll never travel without one again.

I have a GPS V don't really use it.

I have GPS on my laptop for work, use it while on sales trips. wouldn't be with out it

I've never even considered getting one. I'm typically very good at finding my way, and my internal compass is pretty precise. I guess I've been lucky enough to only run out of gas near my house (twice).

..and before I get a GPS, I've gotta get a lot of other stuff.

Does seem like making a GPS thread in the Gear forum would be a good alternative to asking if anyone has ever considered creating a whole forum about that specific thread-like topic.

Can I just come on board here and ask you outright?

crazydrummerdude said:
I've never even considered getting one. I'm typically very good at finding my way, and my internal compass is pretty precise. I guess I've been lucky enough to only run out of gas near my house (twice).

..and before I get a GPS, I've gotta get a lot of other stuff.

Does seem like making a GPS thread in the Gear forum would be a good alternative to asking if anyone has ever considered creating a whole forum about that specific thread-like topic.

Why are you so against starting a forum on GPS?Because you have little or no interest in them?If we have the space,why not?
There have been at least 10 very good reasons for a GPS here(not mine) listed by members so far.I'm very new to GPS myself and I'd like a forum to turn to when a have a question(I'll have many).
A poster could list their favorite tracks for us to share.We could sell and buy GPS related items in 1 place...the reasons go on and on.
Why should I have to go to other websites for that info when the most important club to me could have it?
John

GPS is a tool. I don't have it in my tool box yet. In the mean time I use gps (geographical paper source). I want to learn more about it and its application to motorcycle touring etc.

As an interum thing why not focus GPS questions in the gear section. Move GPS threads that develop to other areas to that section just as we do with other topics that a out of place in their section of origin. Quickly people will learn that is where to look for GPS topics. If there is enough flow in the future see what form we can create a section then.

Wow, too much to say here,,,

I would'nt leave home without my Quest (and that's only because I'm too cheap to get a 2600 series). I agree with what Kbasa had to say. There is too much info stored in a data base that a paper map just doesn't have. Phone numbers, street address, etc. Sure mine has taken me to the wrong place from time to time, like a service (mechanical service not gas service) but more often than not I can find the credit card friendly places I'm looking for. Hotels, :wow an hour out I can call and see if they have a room or keep searching. Getting lost and finding your way "Priceless".

I like road "Atlas's" too for seeing what's out there, but I can just easily puch up "Attractions" and get directions to something within 50-miles and a route to them. Imagination is a wonderful thing not to waste, but pin-point directions are worth the price of admission... :D

Should there be a "GPS Thread" yeah, ADVrider has one. Why not here? :dunno

HIJACK

Doc,
I was wondering where you were and how you and the beter half are doing. Good to see a post from you.

End of HIJACK

M1ka said:
HIJACK

Doc,
I was wondering where you were and how you and the beter half are doing. Good to see a post from you.

End of HIJACK

Gone for a week to "Colorful" Colorado. We're doing fine but the minor traffic infraction I got back in July (in Colorado) is growing its own set of horns. That court date will continue at least another month... I hope it is settled without a trial...

Speaking of GPSs, It is in fact a GPS (Info Track) that holds my defense and provides at least "Beyond Reasonable Doubt" that I am correct in my position for not violating the law in passing another vehicle between the solid and broken lines marked on the road. I will let you all know how it turns out. But, for now the saga continues...

Doc

Last edited:
M1ka

M1ka said:
GPS is a tool. I don't have it in my tool box yet. In the mean time I use gps (geographical paper source). I want to learn more about it and its application to motorcycle touring etc.

As an interum thing why not focus GPS questions in the gear section. Move GPS threads that develop to other areas to that section just as we do with other topics that a out of place in their section of origin. Quickly people will learn that is where to look for GPS topics. If there is enough flow in the future see what form we can create a section then.

should I take that as a NO for the present time?If so,I'll continue to look at that "other" site for help and info.And since I'm not aware of who makes decisions regarding adding a forum,are you the final word?
John

Don't know where you get that. I am just a member giving my input. I may be mouthy and do a lot of posting but I have no control over anything on the fourm.

My suggestion of an interum solution is simply that, a suggestion.

Back