• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Schuberth factory Bluetooth helmet

Jasper

I finally received my S1 Bluesonic helmet from Germany. Everything works great and I am very happy w/ the helmet - w/ appx. 500 mi on it. It has hi-fi speakers, the mic and an LED for remote on/off. There are no buttons to push to answer etc. - it auto answers on the 3rd ring.

Don't wanna pry too much but how many $$$ to your door???? :lurk :lurk :D

The exact same helmet in the US retails for $700. I paid appx. $460. The "Bluesonic kit" was $367 and the shipping was $40. I also purchased the factory Pinlock shield, the Schuberth helmet bag and a breath guard. The bluesonic kit (installed at the Schuberth factory) does not include the "moto-station" which is basically an MP3 player and converts other non-bluetooth devices. That retails for another $450. I'm not sure I would use this plus helmet speakers are still a bit noisy on my GS no matter how quiet the helmet.

Nolan to support Bluetooth

Apparently, Bluetooth helments are going to be the Next Big Thing: Nolan has a version of the N102 coming with their N-Com system:
http://ncom.nolan.it/Index_ENG.aspx

I talked with the U.S. Nolan importer a month or so ago and he thought they would start seeing 102's which would accept the N-Com system sometime in October. He had no information on price or availablity of the N-Com system itself.

bluetooth questions...

Jasper said:
The exact same helmet in the US retails for $700. I paid appx. $460. The "Bluesonic kit" was $367 and the shipping was $40. I also purchased the factory Pinlock shield, the Schuberth helmet bag and a breath guard. The bluesonic kit (installed at the Schuberth factory) does not include the "moto-station" which is basically an MP3 player and converts other non-bluetooth devices. That retails for another $450. I'm not sure I would use this plus helmet speakers are still a bit noisy on my GS no matter how quiet the helmet.

Where did you get the helmet. Tell me a little more about this helmet. I'm in the market for a new helmet. I want to get my XM from my garmin 2730 and directions and radar into the helmet. Whatever info you can help me with would be great. Thanks.

Matt

Just an FYI,

I went with the Bluetooth kit for the Autocom system I have installed on my RT. The kit is from Nokia with a Autocom interconnect so you get Bluetooth plus the capability to hook in your GPS, Satellite, and anything else you can imagine.

Plus, the Autocom will fit just about any helmet and auto mutes for incoming calls. The Autocom unit I have is the Super Pro AVI and it retails for about 450 with all the connections and the bluetooth unit is about 250 all up.

Duane
:type

cdstarr said:
Just an FYI,

I went with the Bluetooth kit for the Autocom system I have installed on my RT. The kit is from Nokia with a Autocom interconnect so you get Bluetooth plus the capability to hook in your GPS, Satellite, and anything else you can imagine.

Plus, the Autocom will fit just about any helmet and auto mutes for incoming calls. The Autocom unit I have is the Super Pro AVI and it retails for about 450 with all the connections and the bluetooth unit is about 250 all up.

Duane
:type

You still have your helmet hardwired don't you? Isn't your bluetooth just between the cell phone and the Autocom unit?

Dianese also has a bluetooth helmet.

Since you guys seem to know a bit about bluetooth, here's a question for you: If I get one of the new fancy GPSs with bluetooth output of the turning directions, is there something I can use as a receiver for them that I could then connect to the amp that I use for blending all of my audio before sending it to my helmet?

Emoto said:
Dianese also has a bluetooth helmet.

Since you guys seem to know a bit about bluetooth, here's a question for you: If I get one of the new fancy GPSs with bluetooth output of the turning directions, is there something I can use as a receiver for them that I could then connect to the amp that I use for blending all of my audio before sending it to my helmet?

I wondered about that too. There are these Bluetooth receiver/transmitters that plug into a non Bluetooth phone...with a mini phone plug...I wonder what exactly the signal is that it passes thru the plug.

cjack said:
I wondered about that too. There are these Bluetooth receiver/transmitters that plug into a non Bluetooth phone...with a mini phone plug...I wonder what exactly the signal is that it passes thru the plug.

Ooh, there are? That soulds like just the ticket. After all, I am only considering passing voice prompts through it. Sounds like I should go searching for phone accessories, unless you already have a link?

Emoto said:
Ooh, there are? That soulds like just the ticket. After all, I am only considering passing voice prompts through it. Sounds like I should go searching for phone accessories, unless you already have a link?

There are a couple of BT helmet headsets. One by Motorola and one by Cardo I think. If you do a search on them, and poke around, you will see those add on BT pieces.

Emoto said:
If you do a search at BUY.COM you can find BT transmitters, receivers, kits with both... I have a pair of BT stereo heaphones. They are OK. BT is not going to be the helmet revolution everyone seems to think it will be. Battery life will never be long enough, it means mounting extra stuff to the helmet itself (sync and volume control buttons) and possibly burying batteries in the liner, transmission distance is only 30' at best (forget bike to bike with it), if you are using in the ear speakers you will still have to deal with a wire to the BT box, etc. It will be helpful, I think, but not trouble free. And any decent BT in-helmet solution should have the ability to plug it into the bike to recharge it - even while riding, for those LD type riders. That will mean you are tethered again, but charging shouldn't take that long (one tank ought to fully charge it).

Bluetooth helmet?
Feh!
I'm waiting for the heads up DVD screen on the face shield.

Actually, if I am not paying attention to my riding, I stop riding.

When it comes to drunk driving, the fatality rate for motorcycles mimics that of automobiles.

The automobile accident rate due to inattention (cell phones, in-dash movies, fighting children in the back, etc.) rivals that of drunk driving.

Is that really a statistic that motorcyclists should try to mimic?

Not me. NFW.

Your helmet. Your cell phone. Your life. Was it worth it? YMMV.

flash412 said:
Bluetooth helmet?
Feh!
I'm waiting for the heads up DVD screen on the face shield.

Actually, if I am not paying attention to my riding, I stop riding.

When it comes to drunk driving, the fatality rate for motorcycles mimics that of automobiles.

The automobile accident rate due to inattention (cell phones, in-dash movies, fighting children in the back, etc.) rivals that of drunk driving.

Is that really a statistic that motorcyclists should try to mimic?

Not me. NFW.

Your helmet. Your cell phone. Your life. Was it worth it? YMMV.

Bluetooth is not just for phones. Piping in the sound of a radar detector or GPS turn-by-turn directions seems like a good idea, no?

wmubrown said:
If you do a search at BUY.COM you can find BT transmitters, receivers, kits with both... I have a pair of BT stereo heaphones. They are OK. BT is not going to be the helmet revolution everyone seems to think it will be. Battery life will never be long enough, it means mounting extra stuff to the helmet itself (sync and volume control buttons) and possibly burying batteries in the liner, transmission distance is only 30' at best (forget bike to bike with it), if you are using in the ear speakers you will still have to deal with a wire to the BT box, etc. It will be helpful, I think, but not trouble free. And any decent BT in-helmet solution should have the ability to plug it into the bike to recharge it - even while riding, for those LD type riders. That will mean you are tethered again, but charging shouldn't take that long (one tank ought to fully charge it).

Viki and I were thinking of the Motorola BT to use bike to bike by just riding up a bit closer...that would be about one and a half car lengths for a brief comment. And, we are interested only in voice quality, not music, etc. So for us, a comfortable install of a BT helmet setup would work I think. Most of the time, there would be no voice to voice, so no battery drain. The Motorola has a switch to make that active or turn it off.

I'm not very knowledgable about what Bluetooth enables me to do, I have the impression that it will allow wireless communication with my passenger. As I look at the Nolan site, it seems I'd have to be wired to my music device. Is it just the driver/passenger communication that is wireless?

Here is what I want:
  1. I listen to my own music device
  2. My passenger listens to her own music device
  3. We can talk to each other.
  4. In helmet speakers so the music is modest to good quality.
I don't want to answer my phone nor do I want to listen to Garmin (and I don't run a radar detector).

Is there a way to be all wireless?
I looked at the Nolan product because it looks like the helmet is integrated with the kits. But should I look at stand alone products as well?

Back