• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Broken locking tab on system case

Hello rxcrider,

thank you so much for your offer.
Yes, only one side is broken. I'm looking Forward so see the Pictures on how to disassemble the handle from the axis.
Don't know how the managed to break it, it Looks quite sturdy.

The issue with sending is that I'm located in Germany so probably the delivery will get very expensive.
Let me check if I find a friend or family member who might pick it up in the US and bring it to me.

I updated my last post with the details on the handle. Looks like there aren't any inexpensive shipping options to Germany anymore. Worst case, if I leave a few parts out to get it in the right box, I can ship it for $25 which isn't too bad. If all else fails, my cousin is here in the states (Chicago) right now and he lives North of Limburg. I think he heads back in a month or so.

If something is jammed in one side the bag latch between a latch arm and the lid, it probably isn't too hard to break the cast arm if someone decides to force things. I often get the straps from my backpack caught in there and have to readjust things before it will latch.

After breaking two tabs due to absent mindedness I modified the lock tumblers such that all my bags can be opened and closed without the key if the tumbler is left in the open position (with the red tab retracted). And yes I can pull the key out from both positions. Never break tabs now! I just found when camping and at rallies etc. it was a real pain to do the key merry go round the bike to search for something in the various bags.

There is a thread over on ADVRider that shows how to file the tumblers to retain your ability to fully lock the bags but allow key removal in the open position.

I've been fortunate so far

I've bent and straightened my top case tab several times.
This is one of the bizarre BMWisms. How can the maker of such a fine motorcycle make this part out of such a cheesy way too easy to bend and break material! Seems to me that this is probably a wide spread problem. I would think this has happened to many folks who have probably just ignored a broken tab or perhaps some like me who have been lucky enough to be able to straighten it out.
Thanks folks for the great repair instructions and photos! I'm sure I will have to replace mine at some point

Regards!
Chris

I've bent and straightened my top case tab several times.
**SNIP**
Thanks folks for the great repair instructions and photos! I'm sure I will have to replace mine at some point

Regards!
Chris

Hate to be the bearer of bad news but the second time you bend it back it's going to break. DAMHIK :banghead

They are made of pot metal and will not withstand much bending at all. Here's one application where plastic with a high nylon content would have been better!

And then there's the folks who "remove" the tabs on purpose or don't mind having a quick opening case :laugh:laugh:laugh

:whistle nobody I know ...

Hate to be the bearer of bad news but the second time you bend it back it's going to break. DAMHIK :banghead

They are made of pot metal and will not withstand much bending at all. Here's one application where plastic with a high nylon content would have been better!

I must be EXTREMELY lucky then. I've been able to rebend mine at least a dozen times.
Agreed, a good plastic would have been a much better choice.

I must be EXTREMELY lucky then. I've been able to rebend mine at least a dozen times.
Agreed, a good plastic would have been a much better choice.

And with hammer as your screenname...that seems unbelievable!
:laugh:laugh:laugh

welcome to the forum :wave

System Cases-PIA

I have owned Airheads, K-bikes and Oilheads. IMHO the System cases are the biggest pain in the ass that I have experienced. I have lost brand new bags, had the lock on clamp (which holds the bag to the bike) break and fried one (my own stupidity). That having been said, I have just bought #4 and in my opinion they are the worst bags BMW ever made....FWIW

I have owned Airheads, K-bikes and Oilheads. IMHO the System cases are the biggest pain in the ass that I have experienced. I have lost brand new bags, had the lock on clamp (which holds the bag to the bike) break and fried one (my own stupidity). That having been said, I have just bought #4 and in my opinion they are the worst bags BMW ever made....FWIW

Interesting how opinions can vary. I've also owned (still own actually) airheads, K Bikes and Oilheads. I find the stock system cases on my Oilhead RT to be the best BMW have ever provided. Ease of removal, excellent latching and mounting system, amount of space and built to be more robust than any Krauser could hope to be on a good day. The _only_ thing that annoyed me was having to insert and remove the key every time I wanted in. Once I fixed that problem by filing the tumblers just so I can open them without a key when they are in the unlocked position and lock them when I need to do so like outside my motel room etc. Best of both worlds.

Interesting how opinions can vary. I've also owned (still own actually) airheads, K Bikes and Oilheads. I find the stock system cases on my Oilhead RT to be the best BMW have ever provided. Ease of removal, excellent latching and mounting system, amount of space and built to be more robust than any Krauser could hope to be on a good day. The _only_ thing that annoyed me was having to insert and remove the key every time I wanted in. Once I fixed that problem by filing the tumblers just so I can open them without a key when they are in the unlocked position and lock them when I need to do so like outside my motel room etc. Best of both worlds.

What he said :thumb

Size of rivets

Can anyone tell me the correct (original) size of the rivets for repairing the box (countersunk head rivet) and the once to fix the box to the case (flat head cup-rivet)?

Can anyone tell me the correct (original) size of the rivets for repairing the box (countersunk head rivet) and the once to fix the box to the case (flat head cup-rivet)?

The OE rivets are 5mm special dead end (to seal for water) - hard to find in small qty's and $$$$ from BMW

I have repaired quite a few and have a better system which allows servicing in the future and is inexpensive

Remove box and all remnants of rivets concerned.
Tap all rivet holes in the aluminum frame 10-32 unc
Open up case holes slightly to 13/64" (this is optional but makes assembly easier)
Procure some 10-32 x 1/2" SS round head screws
Procure some #10 x .062 nylon washers (to seal case from water ingress)
Assemble box to case half with these fasteners.

When repairing the flag similar applies. Tap the part holder 10-32, countersink the frame and use a 10-32 x 3/8" flat head screws (2)

Last edited:
Back