• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

R1200RT Rear Drive Failure

Just sent letter to David Strickland: HSTA

It appears the NHTSA may not be as efficient as they could be. I've just posted the below comment on their web site. 6/4/2012
------------------------------------------------------------

Mr. Strickland,

I've found a design problem in the way in which NHTSA gather's faulty vehicle information. It appears that filing the complaint by vehicle make, model,year, does not provide an accurate database of "component" failure. This is because a common component can be used in many makes, models, and years of vehicles.
Example: BMW Motorcycle's "final drive" assemblys.
ref: ODI - 10460182 or ODI - 10439549
Both of these are the same component failure but NHSTA would not see them as such because they are from different vehicles, years, and models. These failures I'm told are listed as ball bearing failure, crown or spline, failures, etc. None of which are cross matched in the NHSTA system and therefore NHSTA would not see the pattern of failure.

Secondly, a NHSTA representative told me that NHSTA notifies the manufactures and then drops the ball. In other words, there is no followup initiated on the part of NHSTA with the manufactures on individual complaints. This leaves it up to the manufacturer to respond, ignore the complaint, or simply trash it. The NHSTA would have no way of knowing if NHSTA does not incorporate a followup process on these complaints.

Thirdly I am including a post from the internet which describes this particular failure and the lack of resolve on the part of NHSTA with the BMW manufacturer:
===============
LINK: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=761531

After over 145 individual complaints filed between April 2001 and August
2011, the NHSTA has finally opened its first official investigation into the
failure of crown gear bearings on BMW models equipped with the Paralever
style final drive. NHSTA investigation DP12001 opened 1/20/12 is centered
on 1999-2005 K1200LTs for now. But, if the findings are what we all believe
they will be, the scope of the investigation should be expanded. I found
the only way to get NHSTA to listen and focus was to pepper its director,
David Strickland, with repeat letters as well as inquiries from WA Senator
Patty Murray who chairs the subcommittee over funding for the NHSTA. If
you have had a final drive failure on your Paralever equipped BMW, and have
NOT already reported it to the NHSTA, I urge you do it now.

You will need your VIN, (est.) date of failure and mileage. State your
model as well. While they should be able to identify from VIN, their data
was wrong 50% of the time. Specify if gear oil leaked.

www.safercar.org

or call (888) 327-4236

or mail to:

NHSTA

Office of Defects Investigation (NVS-210)
West Building
1200 New Jersey Ave SE

Mr. Strickland, I would certainly appreciate your response that I might include it with my writings to my congressman.

Thank you,
:violin

Back