• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Ireland

K12RS

My family and I are planning to go to Ireland next summer to attend a wedding. Does anyone known how the road are and is there anywhere to rent a motorcycle? :drink

Be sure to check out this month's ON about a fellow member who was scammed big time by an unscrupulous company in Ireland claiming to rent bikes.

I'll say this - if you're looking to travel there and want to really see what the country is about, consider the AerLingus B&B program. You get a book of vouchers you can use at B&Bs all over Ireland.

You can find info on the AerLingus web site. We paid a bit extra and got our rooms "en suite" which means they have a private bathroom.

If you are going between Christmas and Newyears the whole county is on holiday! Almost everthing is closed for the week. Renting a Bike in Ireland means renting it from some place in the UK and bringing it in on a ferry and then taking it back. There are not any bike rental companies there. I think it might have to do with the laws but I am not sure. You can ship your own bike from Bayone NJ (roll on roll off- no boxing it!) for about 600 dollars. Through AAA you can get a inexpensive insurance suppliment required By the EU. Thats it! It takes about 1 1/2 weeks (depending on weather) for your bike to arive in the UK, or Belgims Antrwoupe (spelling?) the largest shipping docks in the world. Ferrys are the way to go. They are fun and cheap. If you bike has current registration its good to go. And how cool is it to drive around Ireland or the UK on your own bike!

Mike thanks for the info. Have you been to ireland? How are the roads? A couple of people have told me that most of the roads are in poor condition.

The roads are narrow and some were quite bumpy.

Navigation is different there. Directions we got usually involved naming a series of towns, which were your waypoints to your destination.

Roads tend not to be numbered, so navigation could be tricky.

The roads are narrow and often bumpy. I have been on ÔÇ£numberedÔÇØ roads that turn to dirt! Some roads turned into two ruts. (IÔÇÖm not kidding.) But the scenery is absolutely beautiful and the people are friendly.

I canÔÇÖt help you with renting a motorcycle because I was on a tour but if you get a chance to ride donÔÇÖt pass it up. (A GS would serve you well!!)

Back