• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Air Pumps

bluehole

I am looking into air pumps and would like to know what has/has not worked for you. I would like a pump that I can use on the bike and the truck. I am also looking for one that is easy to read (clearly labeled guage or digital) and that pumps at a reasonable rate. It might also be useful to be able to plug it into either vehicles power outlet. Anything good available?

bluehole said:
I am looking into air pumps and would like to know what has/has not worked for you. I would like a pump that I can use on the bike and the truck. I am also looking for one that is easy to read (clearly labeled guage or digital) and that pumps at a reasonable rate. It might also be useful to be able to plug it into either vehicles power outlet. Anything good available?
I can't give you personal experience on which pump, I have a cheap $8 walmart 12v pump...it's large and bulky but it works pretty well and has a gauge with shutoff. One option is to "hack" one of the cheap 12v portable pumps and only keep the innards if you want to tote it on the bike. Only compact pump I have seen that was not ridiculous price-wise to me is the airman sparrow, but have never seen one in action.

I bought a small AC to 12v ligther adapter so I don't need to carry multiple adapters AC and 12v, for the cell, gps, ect.

I will pump you up..

I have a cheapie airpump from Discount Auto that 3 years ago was $10. It has survived 3 Xcountry trips and about 2K offroad rides in a topcase sidebags etc. It still works and that is the main thing. You can do that $ 100 12V airpump but it has the IDENTICAL inner workings as any Campbell Hausfield/ K Mart/ Walli world pump :rolleyes .
I am looking at a manual footpump as I need a back up that is independent from a battery. I am looking at these guys.. http://www.minifootpump.com/

Happy hunting!!

Wait a month...

Motorcycle Consumer News is going to review them next month, if I remember correctly.

riderR1150GSAdv said:
I have a cheapie airpump from Discount Auto that 3 years ago was $10. It has survived 3 Xcountry trips and about 2K offroad rides in a topcase sidebags etc. It still works and that is the main thing. You can do that $ 100 12V airpump but it has the IDENTICAL inner workings as any Campbell Hausfield/ K Mart/ Walli world pump :rolleyes .
I am looking at a manual footpump as I need a back up that is independent from a battery. I am looking at these guys.. http://www.minifootpump.com/

Happy hunting!!

I bought the minifoot pump and I like it. It packs quite small and is much handier to use than the mtn bike hand pump I was using before. The weird thing about it is that they send you two pumps, one a little fancier than the other. I think either will work for occasional use.

I have a Cycle Pump and it works great and it should for the cost. It has helped me and friends out of a jamb this past year. I can't say that it is better or worse than the cheap ones, I just figured I wanted to buy one that would last for many years and is rebuildable too. The canvas bag serves as an air filter against dusty conditions...I did prove that to be effective.

Cycle Pump

I've got the Cycle Pump and ditto to what PugdyPaintGuy said. :thumb

Easy

Big Empty, Texas :german

I love being married. It's so great to find that one special person you want to annoy for the rest of your life.
Rita Rudner (1956- )

I have the same unit Burnszilla purchased. Have used it several times with very good results. Up here in Canada, we have a chain called Canadian Tire. They advertised the pump in their weekly flyer, selling the unit at 50% off retail. It cost me $6.98 plus tax for the identical unit that comes with a cigarette plug.

$8 WalMart unit, sans plastic, with a connector that mates to the Molex heated vest connector I use on my bikes. Used it to inflate four flat tires on June 25th. Have inflated a few other tires and done many air-ups with it while dual-sporting. Why pay more?

Same as Flash. I think I paid $10 for mine, though. Found the cheapest 12V pump I could that did NOT have a pressure gauge, stripped off the plastic, cut the fan off, re-wired the power cord to shorten it and fit a 2-way plastic connector, and stuck it all in a ziploc bag. Fits in the under-seat tray of my Airhead along with a bunch of other stuff. It was so cheap, I just bought another one and left the plastic on to keep in the cage.

Cyclepump for me..........I understand the "guts' of most of these pumps are about the same. ie. the expensive cyclepump has the same machinery as the less expensive options. In any event, I wanted the very solid casing and a compact system.

Cheers.....

Back