• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Wisconinisms

As we prepare for for the 2007 Rally in West Bend next year. This list of Wisconinisms may you help to better understand us, as you travel around the state of WI.

Ain-a-hey: placed at the end of a profound statement; as in "isn't It?"

Bart: a Green Bay institution who doesn't need a last name; (see "Vince").

Believe-you-me: attached to the beginning or end a statement make it more credible; as in, "really!"

Blaze orange: what deer hunters and cold-weather Packer fans wear at Lambeau.

Born in a barn?: a sarcastic question which usually means you left the door open.

Borrow: used in place of "lend," as in, "could youse borrow me a couple two-tree bucks?"

Brat: a sausage; a Wisconsin tailgate favorite; doesn't have anything to do with a spoiled kid.

Bubbler: to the rest of the world outside Wisconsin's borders, it is known as a drinking fountain.

Budge: to merge without permission; cut in; as in "Don't you budge in line for a brat, I was here first!"

By: to or near; as in "Let's go by One Eyed Jack's,"or "She'll come by Froggers tonight." It has nothing to do with a purchase.

Cheddarhead: someone from Wisconsin; see, "Cheesehead."

Cheesehead: someone from Wisconsin; see, "Cheddarhead."

Cheese curd: small pieces of fresh cheese that squeak when you bite into them; a parish picnic favorite when deep fried.

Come-here-once: a beckoning call to another Cheddarhead.

Couple-two-tree: more than one; as in "Polaski and I drank a couple-two-tree beers."

Cripes: a Wisconsin expletive. Cripes-sake: a mild Wisconsin expletive.

Crymany-cripes-sake: a wild Wisconsin expletive.

D: a substitute for words beginning with "TH;" as in"Dat guy over dere in dah Bears shirt is a FIB."

Davenport: what your mom called the sofa; a couch.

Fair-to-midlin: not bad or great, just "O.K."

FIB: an acronym; (F***in' Illinois Bastard)

Fish fry: a Friday night dining ritual in Wisconsin.

Fleet Farm: a Cheddarhead's answer to Bloomingdales.

Frozen tundra: Lambeau Field.

Geeez!: Another Wisconsin expletive.

Go ahead: proceed; as in, "go ahead and back up your car."

Gots: used in place of "have;" as in, "I gots my tickets to watch da Packers play on da Frozen Tundra."

Guldarn: another Wisconsin expletive. "Those guldarn cows smell like poop."

Hey: placed at the beginning or end of phrases for emphasis, as in "Hey, how 'bout them Packers?" or "How 'bout them Packers, hey?"

Holy-cry-yiy!: as in, "wow!"

How's-by-you?: a greeting; the same as, "How's everything?"

Humdinger: a beauty; as in "dat crappy youse caughtup-nort is a real humdinger."

John Deere: a Cheddarhead's other vehicle.

M'wakee: Wisconsin's largest city; located just down the lake from Trivers and Mantwoc.

N-so?: a word inserted at the end of a statement; used as a substitute for "right?" or "correct?"

Oh, yah: depending on emphasis, it's either used as acknowledgment (as"That's correct") or skepticism (That's bull!).

Parish picnics: social events of the summer up-nort.

Pert-neer: near; in close proximity; just about.

Polka: what you do at parish picnics.

Pop: a non-alcoholic drink.

Rubbers: protection for your shoes; also known as "galoshes."

Scansin: the state where Cheeseheads are from.

Schmear: a card game; also a term used when someone gets beat in a game of Sheepshead

Sheepshead: another card game.

Side-by-each: used instead of, "next to each other."

Skeeter: Wisconsin state bird.

Start wit me last: to forfeit your turn.

Stop-and-go lights: what everyone else refers to as traffic signals.

Uff-dah: affirmative; as in "that's right!"

Un-thaw: to defrost.

Where-abouts: locality; proximity; as in, "where-abouts are youse guys from?"

Up nort: where Wisconsinites go on vacation.

Up-side right: right side up.

Vince: the other Green Bay icon who doesn't need a last name for recognition; (see "Bart").

Yah-hey: affirmative; as in "uff-dah."

You-betcha: affirmative; as in "Yah-hey."

Youse: pronounced "YOOS;" it means "you" as in "are youse guys goin' up nort?"

Youper: someone from ever further up-nort than you.

M Johnston

Uffda

There are many meanings to Uffda. "Uffda that thing is heavy." "I saw that car hit the deer. Uffda!" It can be used as an explitive as well. As when you see your phone bill after you just gave your teenage daughter a cell phone. "Uffda".

Other Wisconsinisms "Ya sure, but you can't get there from here" or my favorite, "One more then we gotta go" :drink

Got news for youse guys- alotta doze aren't exclusively Wiscowsin stuff. In fact the ones I've heard in real life I've heard elsewhere, and I don't think I've heard but a coupla dem in CheeseLand.

vetbmwrider said:
As we prepare for for the 2007 Rally in West Bend next year. This list of Wisconinisms may you help to better understand us, as you travel around the state of WI.

Ain-a-hey: placed at the end of a profound statement; as in "isn't It?"

Bart: a Green Bay institution who doesn't need a last name; (see "Vince").

Believe-you-me: attached to the beginning or end a statement make it more credible; as in, "really!"

Blaze orange: what deer hunters and cold-weather Packer fans wear at Lambeau.

Born in a barn?: a sarcastic question which usually means you left the door open.

Borrow: used in place of "lend," as in, "could youse borrow me a couple two-tree bucks?"

Brat: a sausage; a Wisconsin tailgate favorite; doesn't have anything to do with a spoiled kid.

Bubbler: to the rest of the world outside Wisconsin's borders, it is known as a drinking fountain.

Budge: to merge without permission; cut in; as in "Don't you budge in line for a brat, I was here first!"

By: to or near; as in "Let's go by One Eyed Jack's,"or "She'll come by Froggers tonight." It has nothing to do with a purchase.

Cheddarhead: someone from Wisconsin; see, "Cheesehead."

Cheesehead: someone from Wisconsin; see, "Cheddarhead."

Cheese curd: small pieces of fresh cheese that squeak when you bite into them; a parish picnic favorite when deep fried.

Come-here-once: a beckoning call to another Cheddarhead.

Couple-two-tree: more than one; as in "Polaski and I drank a couple-two-tree beers."

Cripes: a Wisconsin expletive. Cripes-sake: a mild Wisconsin expletive.

Crymany-cripes-sake: a wild Wisconsin expletive.

D: a substitute for words beginning with "TH;" as in"Dat guy over dere in dah Bears shirt is a FIB."

Davenport: what your mom called the sofa; a couch.

Fair-to-midlin: not bad or great, just "O.K."

FIB: an acronym; (F***in' Illinois Bastard)

Fish fry: a Friday night dining ritual in Wisconsin.

Fleet Farm: a Cheddarhead's answer to Bloomingdales.

Frozen tundra: Lambeau Field.

Geeez!: Another Wisconsin expletive.

Go ahead: proceed; as in, "go ahead and back up your car."

Gots: used in place of "have;" as in, "I gots my tickets to watch da Packers play on da Frozen Tundra."

Guldarn: another Wisconsin expletive. "Those guldarn cows smell like poop."

Hey: placed at the beginning or end of phrases for emphasis, as in "Hey, how 'bout them Packers?" or "How 'bout them Packers, hey?"

Holy-cry-yiy!: as in, "wow!"

How's-by-you?: a greeting; the same as, "How's everything?"

Humdinger: a beauty; as in "dat crappy youse caughtup-nort is a real humdinger."

John Deere: a Cheddarhead's other vehicle.

M'wakee: Wisconsin's largest city; located just down the lake from Trivers and Mantwoc.

N-so?: a word inserted at the end of a statement; used as a substitute for "right?" or "correct?"

Oh, yah: depending on emphasis, it's either used as acknowledgment (as"That's correct") or skepticism (That's bull!).

Parish picnics: social events of the summer up-nort.

Pert-neer: near; in close proximity; just about.

Polka: what you do at parish picnics.

Pop: a non-alcoholic drink.

Rubbers: protection for your shoes; also known as "galoshes."

Scansin: the state where Cheeseheads are from.

Schmear: a card game; also a term used when someone gets beat in a game of Sheepshead

Sheepshead: another card game.

Side-by-each: used instead of, "next to each other."

Skeeter: Wisconsin state bird.

Start wit me last: to forfeit your turn.

Stop-and-go lights: what everyone else refers to as traffic signals.

Uff-dah: affirmative; as in "that's right!"

Un-thaw: to defrost.

Where-abouts: locality; proximity; as in, "where-abouts are youse guys from?"

Up nort: where Wisconsinites go on vacation.

Up-side right: right side up.

Vince: the other Green Bay icon who doesn't need a last name for recognition; (see "Bart").

Yah-hey: affirmative; as in "uff-dah."

You-betcha: affirmative; as in "Yah-hey."

Youse: pronounced "YOOS;" it means "you" as in "are youse guys goin' up nort?"

Youper: someone from ever further up-nort than you.

M Johnston

:rofl :rofl :rofl

Back