• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Routing: South Bend, IN to Atlanta, GA

BRADFORDBENN

Slowpoke & Proud of It!
I am thinking of doing a long weekend run to Atlanta. I am trying to figure out the fastest way to get there. Not scenic but direct, safe, and fast. The goal is not the ride but to arrive with time to see friends before heading back.

Any suggestions, or should I just superslab it as much as possible?
If anyone has done Chicago to Atlanta or the like, is it possible to do it in a day?:dunno

Thanks

BradfordBenn said:
If anyone has done Chicago to Atlanta or the like, is it possible to do it in a day?:dunno

Thanks

I asked my friend Gary if it was possible to ride from Boston to Denver in three days.

He said, "That's up to you" and he was right. It's up to you.

go for it

Mapquest calls it 670 miles if you "slab" the whole way. The leg from Nashville to Chattanooga isn't bad, and the Chattanooga to Atlanta is actually a nice ride for an interstate. Check the weather, it can get foggy/snowy/worse on that part of the ride in the wintertime.

That's pretty do-able if you get an early start, pace yourself, rest and eat as necessary, and have good bourbon waiting for you at the other end.

A cheeseburger from the Vortex or some BBQ from Harold's BBQ (kevinhammond.com/bbq/Harold's/index.htm) are the two best ways I can think of to get rid of the road-shakes (guess what I miss most about Atlanta!). Don't go there without hitting one or both places...

It also depends on how much time you have- if you only have three days, that's really wearing yourself out (for a wimp like me). If you have five, you could just press down there on day one, hang out for two days, and then take two more days to get home, which would give you time for the north GA mountains (suches, rt 60, wolf pen gap) and Deal's Gap/Cherohala, then stop somewhere and have an easy reach home on day 5.

The North GA/TN/AL/NC/SC area has some absolutely fantastic riding- if you have time to take advantage of them this will be a trip you won't forget. Have fun

Last edited:
31 to 30 to 75 is fast and direct, I think if you have the buns for it, you can do it in about 9 hours at semi legal speeds. I do runs like that every week in a cage. I would say 31 to Indy, and 74 to 75, but I havent seen the construction on 31 lately, and Indiana loves construction more than any state I believe.

Thanks

So superslab is the plan if I am going to do it. I figured people would know the best ways to get there.

My plans already include a return trip to the Vortex and to a BBQ joint, but I forget the name of it that really kicked butt.

I'll let you know if it happens.

-=Brad

Back