• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Roadcrafter, or Darien?

I've had a two-piece Roadcrafter for 10 years. It's never leaked, but then I ride a 99 RT and the fairing takes the brunt of bad weather. Which raises a point: behind a fully faired bike, either of the Aerostich suits will be uncomfortably hot in the summer, especially in the deep South (where I live). On a bare bike, you might get enough air flow over your body to wear either one. But not on an RT.

As a result, in the summer the Aerostich gets put away. The only armored stuff I can abide during the summer behind an RT fairing are Diamond Gusset kevlar-lined jeans, and a kevlar mesh shirt from Draggin' Jeans. When it gets close to 100, even the mesh shirt can be too much behind the fairing.

In this regard, the RT's fairing works TOO well.

I have a two piece RC, only leaked in the crotch once in a very heavy downpour and only when I stopped and put my left leg down. I used nik-wax on the zipper when I got home and every time I wash and renew the waterproofing, and all is well. I have something near 100k miles on it, got it when I commuted daily from Fiddletown to Sacramento, 50 mi one way. Now I ride weekly from the coast to the central valley (Mendo @50 degrees to Sac @100+, 190 mi one way) in most weather until the passes get too icy in winter. With proper hydration and venting control, I have only once had an issue with the heat. 110 and I left my vents closed too long and ended up parboiling myself - bad situation. But, then we do not have the humidity you have in many parts of the country and that really makes a difference with the Stitch in my view. I did get it large enough to wear thermals, elect vest, sweatshirt all layered under (helped when I lost 25 pounds). I have the elipse at the waist as I ride both the K12 with a tall shield and the K13s in a more aggressive position. Got the two piece thinking I would then be able to wear just the jacket at rallies, but rarely separate them and with our roads, never ride without the whole suit.

Yes, the Roadcrafter is lined. The smooth, thin nylon liner makes it slide on and off easier.

Overall construction and weight is heavier than the Darien, about a two pound difference for the jacket.

I have found the one-piece Roadcrafter to be the most versatile for extreme conditions, having ridden in one for more than 300k miles, from temperatures below 0 to 130 above, in snow, ice, rain, hurricanes, and sometimes, even nice weather. :)

I cannot recommend a piece of gear more highly than the Roadcrafter.

John Ryan

Back