Thread: RS crash bars?

RS crash bars?

Are the two-piece U-shaped cylinder guards that attach to each side of the airhead frame and engine compatible w/ the RS fairing? just want to 2ble check before I purchase. Thx.

Quote Originally Posted by 26667
    Are the two-piece U-shaped cylinder guards that attach to each side of the airhead frame and engine compatible w/ the RS fairing? just want to 2ble check before I purchase. Thx.
    I've seen pictures of European and "authority" RS airheads with crashbars, but have never seen any such in the U.S.
    Greg Feeler
    BMW MOA Foundation Secretary, Ambassador & amateur K-Bike collector, it seems
    1972 R75/5, 1990 K75, 1990 K1, 1992 K75S, 2003 K1200RS

I believe the only protection bars are like the ones shown on Page 19 of:

http://www.beemergarage.com/documents/equip913.pdf

The fairing has to have some cutouts for it, or you get templates which allows you to cut the holes.

Kurt in S.A.

Quote Originally Posted by 20774
    I believe the only protection bars are like the ones shown on Page 19 of:

http://www.beemergarage.com/documents/equip913.pdf

The fairing has to have some cutouts for it, or you get templates which allows you to cut the holes.

Kurt in S.A.

That's a K100RT - the K100RS lowers are very different - and I'm suspecting since this is the Airheads section that the RS in question is an Airhead.
    Greg Feeler

Quote Originally Posted by GregFeeler
    That's a K100RT - the K100RS lowers are very different - and I'm suspecting since this is the Airheads section that the RS in question is an Airhead.
    At the bottom of page 19, in red paint, were the lowers of either an Airhead RS or RT.

Kurt in S.A.

Quote Originally Posted by 20774
    At the bottom of page 19, in red paint, were the lowers of either an Airhead RS or RT.

Kurt in S.A.

Bingo.
    Greg Feeler

Holes must be drilled in AIRHEAD RS (or RT) fairing lowers to mount BMW crashbars. Lowers predrilled are already available, and your dealer can get you a drilling template.

It's a BAD idea, however. The left lower becomes extremely fragile with removal of the required material, and if you think oil changes are tough now, just wait until you have crashbars.

You may be more likely to break your lowers crashing with crashbars than you are crashing a bike without them.
    Kent Christensen
    '12 R1200RT, '02 R1100S, '84 R80G/S

Thumbs up aha!

having looked at pg 19 of that earlier post i can see the problem w cutting holes to accomodate the crash bars. ...looks like I just can't fall over anymore.
    I won't really miss it.

dinandan

So where do I mount my Highway pegs?

I understand all the reasons for not installing crash bars on my R80RT but... Sometimes it would be great to stretch out. Are there any solutions to mounting highway pegs on an airhead RS or RT???

Thanks, Dan

To stretch out, place your feet on passenger pegs.
    Kent Christensen
    '12 R1200RT, '02 R1100S, '84 R80G/S

dinandan

Highway pegs?

What if I have a passenger?

Would it be dumb of me to build a mount that bolts to the valve covers like I have seen on some oilheads?

Dan
    1983 R80RT

Quote Originally Posted by dinandan View Post
    What if I have a passenger?

Would it be dumb of me to build a mount that bolts to the valve covers like I have seen on some oilheads?

Dan
    1983 R80RT
    The problem with both the RS & RT is that the lower fairing blocks the area where aftermarket crashbars mount. To use the BMW crash bars requires different fairing lowers - very expensive. Plus, the fairing itself is just flat in the way of were you'd (I would anyway) want to place your feet. Guess I'm not thinking of any good options on those bikes. I've had an R100RS in the past and I just either used the passenger pegs or stopped and stretched.
    Greg Feeler

on my other airhead I used to put my feet out on the heads past the lowers of my pichler. Not perfect but a bit of variety on a long day. w the RS fairing I'm not so sure, but it might be a choice for at least a couple minutes. i like riding w my feet on both sets of pegs, ie. toes on the front and heels on the rear/passenger pegs.
    We might as well walk. ~ Adam Guettel The Light In The Piazza
    used to own: 1982 R100T, 1984 R65, 1986K75C, 1997 R1100RT, R850R, K75S, 1978 R100RS... what was I thinking?

The crash bars you refer to require cutting holes in the fairing (BMW made a template for that purpose). The only crash bars that did not require cutting holes in the fairing were made by the French company Jouvain and were used by the Gendarmerie (they even had mounts on them for lights). The only modification necessary with them was to make two small notches on the left and right hand edges of the front grill where it meets the fairing. Unfortunately, they are no longer available.

Quote Originally Posted by 26667 View Post

dinandan

So they do exist!

Quote Originally Posted by Doc_Qanai View Post
    The only crash bars that did not require cutting holes in the fairing were made by the French company Jouvain
    Do you have any pictures of these crash bars? If I know how and where they attach I can fabricate some.

Thanks,
    Dan
    1983 R80RT