Thread: '76 r60/6 turn signal/brake light/horn intermittently working...

El jefe - cogita tute

'76 r60/6 turn signal/brake light/horn intermittently working...

Hello.
    I recently purchased my first beemer, a '76 r60/6. It has 48k miles and i paid $1900. My dad is a 30 year member of MOA (i'm logged in on his acct), hopefully I'll be able to match his longevity.
    I've really enjoyed riding around the last couple months but I have been dealing with a minor problem that I don't know how to fix; hopefully anyone with a little free time can help point me in the right direction.
    My turn signals/brake lights and horn work but only intermittently. I was following the wires to their terminus to make sure the connections were solid and it seemed they were. But, 1) I was following the diagram in my Clymer manual and 2) this is my first time doing anything like this...so I probably didn't fully exhaust that route. Additionally, while doing this I found that one of the connections at the front brake switch (by the lever) was almost broke off (I subsequently broke it when I was making sure it was tight).
    On my flickr page I have uploaded pictures of the bike (including the offending switch and two wires that connect to it). Here is a link to the photos:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/kriddle...7594267232692/
    (click on the photos to see then closer).

How should I begin to search for the problem causing this all three of these electrical issues? The incredible weather here in NC this weekend is really making it hard to not go riding. I really need brake lights, signals and a horn.

I have also posted some pics of the bike in general. If there are any issues obvious from sight alone, I would appreciate comments (original items, not original items, things that might need attention, etc).

Thank you so much for any attention to this problem. I really appreciate it.

-Kris

Robert E
    I recently had the same problem with my 78 R80/7. I was really worried about finding it but I got lucky.

What it was on my bike was the chrome bolt on the outside of the right side of the headlight assembly that attaches the headlight assembly to the "ear" that attaches the headlight assembly to the fork leg was loose. (Opposite side from ignition switch) Apparantly this is a grounding point. I hope you can follow what I am talking about.

Try tightening that bolt and see if that fixes your problem.

I'm not very good with circuits either, but my guess is the problem has to do with the ground. Start with the brake light and follow the brown wire to where it is grounded. If that wire joins other wires, follow that to ground. Clean up the connections and see if that helps.

Kurt in S.A.

Bill Burke
    From your photos, it's apparent that you've inherited a number of electrical wiring issues, all of which you would be wise to sort out and get right. One at a time. In the long run, you'll be repaid many times over with peace of mind. Rick Jones is your friend.
    http://www.motoelekt.com/

El jefe - cogita tute
    thanks for the posts. tightened the headlight bolt but nothing yet. i'll keep at it.

Bill Burke
    Sparky-
    Try this: Do you know where the two 8 amp fuses are in your headlamp bucket? If yes, then remove them and clean both ends of each one of them with a file or emory board. If not, look at your picture. The two fuses are mounted in the middle rear of the bucket. You can see them in your picture. Clean fuse ends to shiny metal. Use the file to clean the metal tabs where the fuses make contact. Apply coating of dielectric grease to fuse ends. Install. Test ride. Corrosion on these fuses causes lots of quirky issues.
    Bill

El jefe - cogita tute
    Bill-
    that did it. those fuses were/are in hideous shape. i cleaned them and the tabs up with an emory board and each quirk has seemingly disappeared (of course i'll remain vigilant). thank you so much for the wise advice.
    i should definitely replace the fuses though. where can i get them and are they anything more than '8 amp' fuses?

Bill Burke
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparky401
    Bill-
    that did it. those fuses were/are in hideous shape. i cleaned them and the tabs up with an emory board and each quirk has seemingly disappeared (of course i'll remain vigilant). thank you so much for the wise advice.
    i should definitely replace the fuses though. where can i get them and are they anything more than '8 amp' fuses?
    Good job. The bmw part number: 61 13 9 058 805 , fuse, 8 amp (ceramic). Less than fifty cents a piece. Any bmw parts outlet can get them for you if they don't have them in stock.