• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Restoring question

B

BMWRich58

I'm curious as to what product most of you use to bring the
"New Look" back to the aluminum,as in wheels and engine cases. Some of the restored bikes I've seen, have wheels and engine cases so clean and bright, as tho they were brand new. I've used different metal polishes, including "aluminum cleaners/polishes" and still don't get the same results. Whats the trick?

Your're supposed to clean the bike?

Please don't tell anybody I'm cleaning a GS.

:beer Back at'cha Bro!

shining up old bikes

I brought my 69R60US to the recent RA rally in Birmingham. While there, I had some parts added to the old girl by Vech at Bench Mark Works. Besides helping me get the bike further up the scale (hit 93 out of 100 points) they also put me on to some stuff called Excites. To say it takes aluminum and makes it glow is only putting it mildly. Rub on, buff off gently and the kickstart, gas caps, engine covers etc.. glowed. Best the bike ever looked. Sent away to the guys that make it out of Florida. Expensive but worth it.
Mark

Hey Mark,could you please get and send to me some info about that stuff. I'm interested. Thanks.

Applications:
All Metals, aluminum, fiberglass, plastics, etc.

"Look how easy it is to do the job Right!"

Directions:

Shake thoroughly once and a light shake before each time you apply it to cloth.
Apply a small amount to a palm size cloth, and gently rub on the surface in a back and forth motion.
Watch and see the shine blast through the black residue.
Fold a clean cloth and buff off (DO NOT RUB) to a brilliant shine.

A seal protectant that cleans, polishes, removes surface rust, oxidation, water spots, and leaves no fingerprints.

Polishing Tips:

Caring for billet aluminum, chrome, or fine metals use only Extra-soft polishing cloths.
Do not use on other surfaces unless you are a professional detailer.
This product will not Damage most clear coats.
Manufacturer liability limited to replacement of product or refund if not completely satisfied with Excites pure metal polish.

The Seal under the cap insures, you the consumer, that this product is not thinned out or tampered with.

Caution: KEEP OUT OF THE REACH OF CHILDREN!

If your local Motorcycle, Custom car, marine, or parts stores, do not have our product in stock ask them why and give them our phone # and e-mail.

A Division of E.W.Russo contractor-INC. Phone (850) 474-1275 Capt., Ernie Russo
E-mail: Hogmajic@aol.com Visit our web site: Excites.cc
8 fl oz (236ml) ---------------- MSRP $19.95

There is no substitute for glass beading stripped cases, when you are restoring a bike. In order to keep the finish from oxidizing, once they are perfect, the trick is very simple. All you have to do, is keep the aluminum cases slightly warmer than the ambient air temp to keep them from sweating. The condensation is what will oxidize the aluminum castings rapidly. Simply keep plugged in and on studio lights shining on each side of the engine case, when the bike's in a damp storage place, (such as a garage) in which the temps are changing with the cycles of day and night.

Vech
BMW MOA Ambassador
"The Past Lane"

In the world of Norton restorations I have seen aluminum parts, such as engine cases, professional polished then clear powder coated...Wow, stunning finish. I hope to be do'n that to my Commando this Winter.

Back